a moment of silence please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
88 years ago on march 15 (wonder why not the 17?), the world shook.

not from an earthquake, not from yokozuna dropping an attomic bomb on hogan, and certainly not from flipgeeza beneeze.

no, 88 years ago the last russian tsar, for all intents and purposes, abdicated the thrown and was almost immediately placed under arrest.

the rest of the story is well known, and doesn't need to be discussed at the moment.

rather, i want this thread to be a place where you can share how you spent today observing and witnessing the worst tragedy of the last 170 years.

it's embarassing to me as a fellow peer of the human race to realize that some of you know not of what i'm talking about. surely you must feel the need to educate yourself, and respond in kind by living your life in a way that reflects this knowledge?

now, your assignment is to find me a picture or even a drawing/painting that shows nicholas:

1) signing the papers to abdicate

2) checking out his troops one last time, after abdicating

3) being escourted from the armoured train to tsarskoe selo by the same people who were once his protectors

4) the changing of the guard at tsarskoe selo, from protectors to revolutionary shitheads.

thank you.

no, not russian. been to poland, and will again too. that to some degree, caries similiar themes.

hp14.jpg

what'cha gonna do...

I love your obsession with the tsars. I love that you even spell it "tsar," instead of "czar."

It takes me back to when I was 11/12 years old and completely obsessed with this stuff. I still remember all of this stuff about them!

Melon

melon said:
I love your obsession with the tsars. I love that you even spell it "tsar," instead of "czar."

It takes me back to when I was 11/12 years old and completely obsessed with this stuff. I still remember all of this stuff about them!

Melon

i spell it both ways. i've never been aware of a "correct" spelling. is there one?

and what kind of a kid were you to enjoy this sort of thing??? did you read about their deaths? all the gruesome details?

thanks j.a. for telling him as it is. :sexywink:

and of course, thank you to doozer who so wonderfully posted something that makes no sense to me...however i assume it's his letter of abdication?

Zoomerang96 said:
i spell it both ways. i've never been aware of a "correct" spelling. is there one?

It is "tsar." "Czar" is the Anglicized spelling.

and what kind of a kid were you to enjoy this sort of thing??? did you read about their deaths? all the gruesome details?

I loved every last gory detail, but I was most interested in the drama behind it. It's quite an interesting story, really.

Melon

Zoomerang96 said:

I was the same way. My mom told me all about and I was fascinated for quite a while.

I took the course "History of Soviet Russia" my sophomore year in college, which must have been 12 years ago. Obviously, the lectures began with this event to which you have devoted a thread. My wife has been over there to the former Soviet Union (Russia specifically) twice in the past 3 years.

Your grammar is offensive as usual (capitalization, punctuation, spelling - thrown instead of throne). Other than that I have nothing to add other than the photo of Father Benedict standing in front of his parish here in my Metropolitan Statistical Area, SAINT NICHOLAS RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH (Brookside), built in 1916 in a mining village and obviously not named for the tsar but likely for his namesake:

RELIGION_NEWS.jpg

~U2Alabama

I was fascinated with the tsar for a long while. It started with Anastasia and Rasputin, and then I got into learning everything about the whole family. I even got up at 3am to watch their funeral a few years ago. But I've calmed down since then

I would love to go to Russia and see the palaces someday. That's a must on my list of places to travel.

Last edited:
ah...their funeral! who broadcast it? i'm assuming the bbc did, but who carried it in north america?

cbc wouldn't, i wouldn't think...

u2bama, that's really cool about your wife. maybe you should go with her next time?

CNN broadcasted it. They got it from CNN International

amazing stuff, avsgirl. thanks for posting that. can you identify any of them? prior to their departure, they went through ministers like noone's business...

cnn broadcast it though? that's cool. i missed out, once again.

Zoomerang96 said:
maybe you should go with her next time?

Silly bear, you know I don't believe in foreigners. Although Russians aren't so bad; it's people from Canadia (such as yourself) that offend me.

~U2Alabama

man, that was like 88 years ago or something....

besides, if mtv news didn't cover it, I'm not interested in politiks.

Back
Top Bottom