A Million Little Pieces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well then it's just not very good. Calling it a memoir and "pretending" he was the biggest addict that ever lived is a lie.

ETA: indra
I think he probably has convinced himself this is all true. How could he think he'd get away with it having to have encountered so many people along his way.

great. now the patrons will never stop requesting it.

it really is one of the best covers for a book that i've ever seen, though.

Just saw this. Could be interesting....

Author of Disputed Memoir to Go on Oprah

CHICAGO - James Frey, the author of the disputed memoir, "A Million Little Pieces," will appear Thursday on a live broadcast of Oprah Winfrey's television show to address the dustup surrounding his book, according to a spokeswoman for Winfrey's Harpo Productions.

Harpo spokeswoman Angela DePaul also said Nan A. Talese, whose imprint at Doubleday published Frey's account of overcoming drug addiction and alcoholism, would appear with Frey, as well as several journalists familiar with allegations that parts of the memoir are fiction.

Talese published "A Million Little Pieces" in 2003. It enjoyed good sales, and when Winfrey named it as the September 2005 choice of her book club, it became one of the best-selling books of last year.

But on Jan. 8, The Smoking Gun Web site (http://www.thesmokinggun.com) ran an investigative story that indicated Frey, 36, had embellished, and even invented, some of the material in his memoir.

Winfrey reaffirmed her support for the book in a telephone call to CNN's "Larry King Live" on Jan. 11 at the end of King's hourlong interview with Frey.

In the call, Winfrey dismissed as "much ado about nothing" the allegations that Frey had fabricated some parts - including a three-month prison stay that apparently never happened.

"What is relevant is that he was a drug addict ... and stepped out of that history to be the man he is today and to take that message to save other people and allow them to save themselves," Winfrey said in her surprise call.

Frey acknowledged he had embellished certain parts of the book but characterized such changes as minor, adding that a memoir is an "imperfect animal" and a "subjective retelling" of events.

In his interview with King, Frey said he had originally tried to sell his book as fiction.

"We initially shopped the book as a novel and it was turned down by a lot of publishers as a novel or as a nonfiction book," he told King. "When Nan Talese purchased the book, I'm not sure if they knew what they were going to publish it as. We talked about what to publish it as. And they thought the best thing to do was publish it as a memoir."

In a telephone interview with the New York Observer, Talese said it was never her intention to publish the book as a novel.

Well, he admitted making up most of this now...

Frey admits fictions, Oprah apologizes
By Michael Conlon

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Author James Frey confessed to Oprah Winfrey on Thursday that he made up details about every character in his memoir "A Million Little Pieces" and the talk show host apologized to her viewers, saying she felt "duped."

In 19 years in television "I've never been in this position before," said Winfrey, whose praise for Frey's book in September helped make it the top-selling book on nonfiction lists in the United States last year.

"I really feel duped," Winfrey told Frey on her television show. She said he had betrayed millions of viewers.

Winfrey began by apologizing to viewers for a telephone call she made to CNN's "Larry King Live" show on January 11, while King was interviewing Frey about the controversy. In the call Winfrey said that even though the facts were being questioned, the book "still resonates with me" and called the controversy "much ado about nothing."

"I regret that phone call," she told her viewers on Thursday. "I made a mistake and I left the impression that the truth does not matter and I am deeply sorry about that. That is not what I believe."

Sitting with Frey in side-by-side easy chairs, Winfrey quizzed the author point-by-point about his book that described his drug-and-alcohol addiction and the people hurt by it.

"All the way through the book I altered details about every one of the characters," Frey said "Every one of the characters was altered," including himself.

He spent two hours in jail, not 87 days, and the account of his breaking up with a woman who later committed suicide happened in a much shorter period of time, with their separation occurring while he was taking care of personal business in North Carolina, not while he was in jail, he said.

She committed suicide by slashing her wrists, he said, not by hanging herself.

Asked if The Smoking Gun Web site which first questioned the book had accurately characterized the discrepancies, Frey said "I think most of what they wrote was pretty accurate," adding they did "a good job."

The Smoking Gun said it could find no evidence of his having spent that much time in jail and that an auto accident he wrote about consisted of running his car up on a curb.

Frey said he had developed an image of himself for the book as "being tougher than I was, badder than I was" as a "coping mechanism."

Winfrey asked if that was to make a better book or to make him a better person.

"Probably both," he answered.

"To everyone who has challenged me on this issue of truth, you are absolutely right," she said, adding that the inspiration the book brought to so many people had clouded her judgment.

Frey's book had been chosen by Winfrey for her reading club -- an honor which often turns books into best sellers. Published by Random House's Doubleday division, the book sold more than 1.77 million copies last year after being chosen by Winfrey.

On January 17 Winfrey chose Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel's "Night" as her latest selection, sending the book, first published in the United States in 1960, to the top of best-seller lists.

Random House is a unit of German media conglomerate Bertelsman AG.

I think it's funny that people are so shocked that someone (especially a junkie for crying outloud) lied in a memoir. I love how people get all into their self-righteous indignation over this when people lie everyday, even :shock: the President.

Not saying it's right, not saying it isn't a bummer to read a book thinking it's all true and then discover it isn't, but really, why all the shock and drama? It's not acceptable and it's good that he was called on it but I don't get all the shock.

joyfulgirl said:
I think it's funny that people are so shocked that someone (especially a junkie for crying outloud) lied in a memoir. I love how people get all into their self-righteous indignation over this when people lie everyday, even :shock: the President.

Not saying it's right, not saying it isn't a bummer to read a book thinking it's all true and then discover it isn't, but really, why all the shock and drama? It's not acceptable and it's good that he was called on it but I don't get all the shock.

I think people expect politicians to lie, so a politician lying is just par for the course.

But in the case of this guy it's more odd because he lied to make himself look worse which is strange to most people. Of course, the ultimately by looking worse in the "before" sections, he did look better at the end of the book, so the motive is the same as for the vast majority of liars.

I do think people do still believe that publishing, especially of such supposedly non fiction, but non political books, is cleaner than politics (hell the sewer is cleaner than politics :rolleyes: ) and most show biz. It's as if "good" books (as opposed to trashy novels and tell all bios) are one of the last bastions of virtue, and now it's becoming clear that they are often not what they are cracked up to be either.

It's always hard to see one's illusions destroyed.

indra said:

I think people expect politicians to lie, so a politician lying is just par for the course.

But in the case of this guy it's more odd because he lied to make himself look worse which is strange to most people. Of course, the ultimately by looking worse in the "before" sections, he did look better at the end of the book, so the motive is the same as for the vast majority of liars.

I do think people do still believe that publishing, especially of such supposedly non fiction, but non political books, is cleaner than politics (hell the sewer is cleaner than politics :rolleyes: ) and most show biz. It's as if "good" books (as opposed to trashy novels and tell all bios) are one of the last bastions of virtue, and now it's becoming clear that they are often not what they are cracked up to be either.

It's always hard to see one's illusions destroyed.

I hear you and you make good points. I suppose he made himself look worse so that he now looks better for having come even further, if that makes sense. I used to work in publishing and still work with writers today in a different capacity and so the story is fascinating to me from that perspective, working in the biz, but I guess I wish the public outrage over politicians lying about life and death matters was as big as it is for this guy. It just seems like a big nothing in the broader scheme of things. It'll blow over soon. The guy did look totally humiliated on Oprah but someone made the point that addicts are always addicts and now he's probably addicted to the exposure and drama.

never read the book, but caught the Oprah show. They had the publisher there as well, and a journalist (plus clips of other journalist across the country) and a college professor. I believe it was the journalist who pointed out that for maybe $25,000-$30,000 a year the publisher could hire a fact checker, especially for a memoir which is supposed to be a truthful story of your life, and would have found out many of the lies within hours. Oprah was embarrassed and upset and she certainly looked pissed off.

I have not read the entire book, but I have read several excerpts. I do not think it's well-written at all and yes, all the lying and embellishing seriously pisses me off because I write non-fiction articles and I am a stickler for being a truthful as possible. To intentionally make up shit is such a slap in the face to countless writers everywhere.

If you want to read an excellent memoir, I suggest "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. It's written with such clarity and richness. I was fortunate to meet Ms. Walls and she's so funny and down-to-earth.

an opinion piece I read yesterday

Jim Frey and my son

By Jim Bildner | February 12, 2006

What both author Jim Frey and Oprah Winfrey have missed is that the real damage Frey has done in fabricating large parts of his book, ''A Million Little Pieces," has nothing to do with literature and being honest with one's readers. It's much worse than that.

By marginalizing the truth, Frey has marginalized the depth of the problem of substance abuse and addiction in our country. While many readers still see the book as a powerful look into one addict's life, too many others see themselves as being conned, once again, by an addict.

What Frey still doesn't understand is that you don't need to embellish the truth when it comes to addiction. The reality of the world of drugs is horrible enough, as are the wave of destruction and collateral damage it creates for the families caught in its vices. I know firsthand the truth of this experience because I lived it as my son battled his own substance abuse for the last three years of his life. He died three weeks before Christmas, at 21.

In justifying why he lied, Frey said in recent interviews that he needed to make things up because he wanted the stories in the book ''to ebb and flow, to have dramatic arcs, to have the tension that all great stories require." But those of us who have experienced the truth of addiction know that is just another lie. There is already plenty of drama and tension in addiction. I watched my son's life ''ebb and flow" for three years before my eyes. And while Frey, his editor, and his publisher continue to engage in finger-pointing, they would all be well advised to consider who the real victims are in this. I know one of them. She's my daughter.

At her brother's memorial service, she stood in front of a church full of friends, neighbors, and family and summoned the courage to speak on her brother's behalf now that his voice was silenced. Choking back tears, she read a passage from Frey's ''memoir" hoping the truth of his words would help those of us assembled to understand what so many of us don't -- that our son, like millions of Americans, fought every day of his life to make it through to the next day. That the struggle to stay sober is a battle without an end that is waged every minute in a recovering addict's life. When my daughter finished reading from ''A Million Little Pieces" she proclaimed her love for her brother, and warned us what too few realize -- that drugs are everywhere and addiction affects everyone, in one way or another. And she's right.

National recidivism rates are in the high 80s and climbing as street drugs have become purer and first-time users are being exposed at younger ages. It's a lethal combination that's not easy to stop or comfortable for most of us to talk about. That's why we're losing this war.

Well it's time to talk about it. And believe me, the subject matter needs no embellishing. We need to find ways to keep these drugs from getting into our communities and our schools. And until real change takes hold, we need to let every child and parent know that what happened to my son can happen to theirs -- it's that simple. If you're looking for a silver bullet, look in the mirror --right now, a parent is the only defense a child has from the horrors of drugs and addiction.

Our son's struggle and the struggle that others go through each day to stay sober and alive are pure truth. The day after his memorial service, I went to clean out his apartment. In one of his dresser drawers in his bedroom, I found a diary that he kept. One sentence after another recount the truth of his experience and the constant battle between his mind and body wanting to use and his fight to recover and be sober.

The truth of our son's diary is absolute. He didn't write it to make a good story or to sell more books. He wrote it to stay alive.

Frey's con doesn't just hurt himself or his publisher. It hurts all those who are trying desperately to survive and all of us who care for them by allowing so many to discount the truth that was in the book.

That's the real tragedy of this story.

excellent :up:

i have some knowledge of recovery as several of my friends are either recovering drug addicts or alcoholics. i am aware of their tendancy to embellish the truth at times to make it more colorful but what i really see is the person struggling to stay clean and sober one more day.

this book justs takes them two steps back.

Last edited:
I have run into this information on another list I'm on. It is claimed that he actually plagiarized parts of the book. As it is, I'm not going to read a faked memoir.

Back
Top Bottom