a little nervous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
help i have a scrabble tournament coming up this sunday and feeling a bit insecure... This is my first scrabble competition... the scariest thing is that i'll be pitting against other Mensans... i've never met them before, i'm just a lurking member so i don't know what their strategies are... my only hope is that they get the 1-score alphabets.

anyone got last minute scrabble tips for me?

frayed

------------------
the only thing I know is that I know nothing

If someone pulls off some crazy 200 point word, flip the game table over like in the "Hungry Like the Wolf" video. They'll think twice about doing it again.

------------------
The joker is the best card.

Originally posted by Hewson:
If someone pulls off some crazy 200 point word, flip the game table over like in the "Hungry Like the Wolf" video. They'll think twice about doing it again.

LOL

Yeah, I think that may work!

------------------
~ME THREE

you can try the best you can
the best you can is good enough

You're in Mensa? My mom bought me some Mensa riddle cards and such a couple years ago...what fun!

As for Scrabble...well...

1. "Butt" counts.
2. "Ai" is a word (it's a sloth), in case you get really desperate for making a word.
3. It wouldn't hurt to look up some words that begin with letters like Q, X, or Z, as those letters are usually harder to get rid of.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Be relaxed and do your best, if you dont so as well as you hope (im sure ull be great) jsut leave the table and go home
biggrin.gif

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

LMAO! "Hungry Like the Wolf" greatest video ever! *sings* "hungry like the wolf, hungry like the wolf"

------------------
Taste is the enemy of art.

LOL, take a biology course. there are a lot of crazy words like "okazaka". so yea, good luck to you! kick some mensa @ss!

------------------
Taste is the enemy of art.

Review the x and z sections of the dictionary!

And I discovered that "aa" is a word. And it has served me well!

Good luck!

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Create Light
Create Unity
Create Joy
CREATE PEACE!

What on earth is this hungry wolf video you guys are talking about?
smile.gif

Bonochick, 'ai'? It's not in my dic! Mm, the problem with the rules is that it has changed to a 'SOWPODS' system that I know nothing about.

I guess I'll just wing it, like bono-vox said!

Thanks for the tips, guys! Wish me all the best
tongue.gif

tooralooraloo,
4a.

good luck Foray!! I've never played scrabble, well maybe once but im still not sure what I was doing so I cant really help you
biggrin.gif

go kick some butt anyway though!!!

foray:

some advice: pick words that start with q, and only those words that dont have u in them.

------------------
-death bear

I don't play with anyone's handles.

The competition was today.
AG!!!! (now that's a word)

I hate mensan nerds.

furry

[long rant ahead]

Angie, I am a mensan but hopefully not a nerd like the ones I met on Sunday
mad.gif
... (augh)...

No, to be honest, some of them were really nice humble people. It was the child prodigies who bugged me. It was supposed to be a FRIENDLY game for amateurs (there were 2 categories, amateurs and masters). BUT! Some of them were so friggin' ANAL about the rules. For instance, there was one guy who played against me, I don't think he's even hit puberty yet. He was a brilliant player but he said things like
"Oh no no no, don't take the tiles like that; hold it up at eye level and take them"
"Put your tiles flat face down on the table before you exchange them. There, like that"
"Is this your first time or what??"
He also had a huge problem about me not taking down his score after every turn. I kept having to tell him that it's not necessary. Obviously some geniuses don't think outside of the friggin' box! Still, he won the 1st place for our category. Shit floats to the top.

Some other guy there also made a remark about how I was counting my scores the wrong way. (!!)

As a result, I didn't have much fun. Really. Imagine being in the same room as them from 8am to 6pm
mad.gif
..... Gah!

I hate mensan nerds I hate mensan nerds
I hate mensan nerds I hate mensan nerds

Oh yeah, for anyone who knows what I'm talking about, there was a guy in a black and red gingham shirt and every time I saw him this song would spring to mind: "I'm a lumberjack and that's okay/I sleep all night and I work all day".. LOL

Having a headache now... Merry Christmas!

4a

Originally posted by foray:

He was a brilliant player but he said things like "Oh no no no, don't take the tiles like that; hold it up at eye level and take them"
"Put your tiles flat face down on the table before you exchange them. There, like that"
"Is this your first time or what??"
He also had a huge problem about me not taking down his score after every turn. I kept having to tell him that it's not necessary.

Some other guy there also made a remark about how I was counting my scores the wrong way. (!!)

4a

You should have looked him straight in the eye and in a very calm manner said "Fuck Off." Then continued as if nothing was wrong.

------------------

the best you can is good enough

[This message has been edited by U2ME3 (edited 12-24-2001).]

You should have taken my advice...one good "Hungry Like the Wolf" table dump, and no Mensa nerd would question your methods the rest of the day.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The joker is the best card.

rules on how to put your tiles down???

hit them with a cricket bat
hit them with any kind of bat

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
I hope Klod/Klodomir wasn't used. Danish words are banned from the English Language.
It's not a Danish word, Harlem Whore!

Meeting top nerds is always scary...

In middle school, I participated in spelling bees all three years, and all three years, I won district and regional. When I got to the state finals though to decide who got to go to DC...whoa...the highest I ever got was 5th place...those kids were so smart...

I remember when I'd be crying after, and my parents would try to cheer me up..."It's okay...don't cry, Katie...they are probably just egghead bookworms who have no lives..." *lmao* That's not ver nice, but I know my parents were just trying to make me feel better.
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Back
Top Bottom