A little help.. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2002, 10:05 PM   #1
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 05:30 PM
A little help..

Sort of an odd situation that may result in a potential job for me....

I've danced at this dance school for the past 12 years. Last year I graduated and went away to university. This upcoming year I would like to go to school closer to home.

Since I am returing to Toronto, I would be closer to the studio. I asked the director of this old dance school if I could teach a few classes, specifically the class I student taught for two years. I love these kids - it's like having 17 little sisters. They're so amazing. Unfortunately, they've been complaining a lot this year about not enjoying their jazz classes. They're upset, bored, fustrated, etc.

This would partially my motive for teaching. I know I would do a great job. However, it's really up to their (now) teacher as to whether or not she wants to give up the class. She knows how close I am with the girls, but she may also see it as threatening her position (she knows about the kids's complaints).

Should I approach her and bring up this proposition? It would be a break for her - less stress, getting to the studio later, etc. I'd really love to teach. I don't know what to do. I hoep all this makes sense. I'm getting a bit emotional now here, so it's best that I stop writing.

Old 05-21-2002, 10:11 PM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Thats cool.. I didnt know you taught dance. Jazz you said?

I think you should definatly try to get the job. I'm sure if you talked to her about it and told her how much it meant to you and how much the kids would benefit she would gladly give it up.

------------------
You've got me feeling hella good
So let's just keep on dancing...

sicy@interference.com
My Lair

Old 05-21-2002, 10:26 PM   #3
MacPhisto's serving wench

Jazz, ballet, tap, Musical Theatre...I've done it all, taught it all....this particular class is jazz though. I've mainly taught it recreationally--whenever my schedule allowed it. But I student taught this class (meaning because I was still a student myself, I had to teach under the supervision of another teacher). I'm finally old enough and qualified enough to teach on my own.

Blarg. When it rains it pours. I'm really sorry. I meant for this to go in Lemonade Stand. I don't know what's wrong with me today. I think it would be more appropriate there. I'm sorry.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:29 PM   #4
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Thats ok.. I can move it.

I still say go for it!!
Old 05-21-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

grr. I typed up a whole message and when I hit reply I was informed the thread was closed. You're tricky, Sicy!

Anyway, Sweetest Thing, I'm a dance student! But I graduate this year, after 14 years! *sigh*

I know how hard it is to take class with a teacher you don't like. Two years ago, I started taking all my classes from a new teacher, Monica. She's nice enough, but I've never truely accepted her. Prior to Monica, at least two of my classes a week were taught by this other teacher, Shari. I adore Shari, she's been teaching me since I was 4. I've really fallen away from dance because of how much I miss Shari. So, yes, I think you should approach this other teacher and ask her. Do if for the girls sake. Trust me.

------------------
Sunday all the lights of London / Shining, sky is fading red to blue / I'm kicking through the Autumn leaves / And wondering where it is you might be going to

Love,
Emily

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html" TARGET=_blank>
Emily's Wallpapers
</A>
Old 05-21-2002, 10:39 PM   #6
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Oops.. lol.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:01 AM   #7
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:30 AM
So the director of the school is all for you teaching the class?

Do you get on well with the teacher? Maybe talk to her, find out if she is feeling like its too much. You would know as well as anyone if the passion isnt there, then dancing can seem like its missing its purpose. Also, even though the teacher may not be ready to give up her class, if you do take over, you will be happy, the girls will be happy, the director should be pleased they are happy, and they will ultimately dance better. Thats a lot of happy people.

Still hard choice to make. Good luck