A Fun Movie Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, I never would have guessed EITHER of those. Never seen them. :reject:

Although your clue about the "two men" makes sense knowing what the movie is.

I think it's somewhere in my queue ... but I have movies in my queue I haven't noticed in months, so who knows.

Alright, I'll give this a shot.

1. "Y'know, this was supposed to be my weekend off, but noooo. You got me out here draggin' your heavy ass through the burnin' desert with your dreadlocks stickin' out the back of my parachute. You gotta come down here with an attitude, actin' all big and bad...and what the hell is that smell?!"

2. "I was sheriff of this county when I was twenty-five years old. Hard to believe. My grandfather was a lawman; father too. Me and him was sheriff's at the same time; him up in Plano and me out here. I think he's pretty proud of that. I know I was."

3. Justice is balance. You burned down my house and left me for dead. Consider us even.

4. This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode.

5. Character A: I want - I want you to be, honest with me. No tricks, no lies, no secrets. Do you - do you love me?
Character B: Not today. No.

6. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

7. I know now why you cry. But it's something I can never do.

8. I just told you the truth. I tell you the truth the first time. You don't have to ask me again. I never do that. I always tell you the truth. If I did it, you would know. I took her out a couple of times.

9. Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent. I thought you were supposed to be good. Aren't you the "good" man?

10. I promised a friend I would say hello to you today. Please say hello to me.

11. My dear friend... let us not forget that heaven is blue.

12. "The Statue of Liberty is kaput" - that's disconcerting.

13. You can't do this to me, I'm an AMERICAN.

14. Man has climbed Mount Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean. He's fired rockets at the Moon, split the atom, achieved miracles in every field of human endeavor... except crime!

15. You run the job, but I run the show.

1 is Independence Day.

2 is No Country For Old Men

I should know #3 but I can't think of it right now

6 is LOTR: Return of the King (? either that or Two Towers)

I've added the years to my remaining quotes to see if that helps you out some.

2. My first day here, he beat me because I threw out the bones from dinner. He came down at midnight and asked for them. And I asked him, I don't know how, I could never ask him now, I said, "Why are you beating me?" He said, "The reason I beat you now is because you ask why I beat you."
(1993)

3. Stand tall, boy. Have some respect for yourself. Don't you know if you let people walk over you now, they'll be walking over you for the rest of your life! Look at me. You think I'm gonna spend the rest of my life in this slop house?
(1985)

6. Oh I'm sorry, am I being a little graphic? I'm sorry. Well, I hope you're up for a little competition. She's got a power tool in the bedroom, dear. It's her own personal jackhammer. She could break sidewalk with that thing. She uses it and the lights dim, it's like a prison movie. Amazed she hasn't chipped her teeth.
(1993)

7. Well, I think Bill's got a point. If you look at the whole life of the planet, we... you know, man, has only been around for a few blinks of an eye. So if the infection wipes us all out, that is a return to normality.
(2002)

10. The soul of man has been given wings and at last he is beginning to fly. He is flying into the rainbow! Into the light of hope, into the future! The glorious future, that belongs to you, to me and to all of us. Look up, Hannah. Look up!
(1940)

14. Well, you can't know. Not until you look at a dumpster. But when you climb into that thing for the first time and you pull those newspapers over you, that's when you know you've messed your life up. Somebody comes along like your son, and gives me a leg up, I'll take it. Even from a kid, I'll take it.
(2000)

Guessed
1. The Shawshank Redemption, guessed by No spoken words
5. Shaun of the Dead, guessed by corianderstem
4. American Psycho, guessed by Lila64
8. Red Dragon, guessed by lazarus
9. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, guessed by LemonMacPhisto
11. Goodfellas, guessed by No Spoken Words
12. Donnie Darko, guessed by corianderstem
13. The Lion King, guessed by Lila64
15. American Beauty guessed by No spoken words

Now with year of release, and gender of speaker. If that fails, I start giving the actors' names.

lazarus said:

1. " I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? Fuck! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here. " APOCALYPSE NOW

2. "This... this, the hollow at the base of a woman's throat, does it have an official name?" THE ENGLISH PATIENT

3. "I run this dump, and I don't know the technical mumbo-jumbo. Why do I run it? Cause I got horse sense goddamit, SHOWMANSHIP! And also I hope Lou told you this, I am bigger and meaner and louder than any other kike in this town. Did you tell him that Lou? And I don't mean my dick is bigger than yours, it's not a sexual thing. You're a writer, you know more about that." BARTON FINK

4. "I met this guy named Ding-Dong. He told me the whole Earth is goin' up in flame. Flames will come out of here and there and they'll just rise up. The mountains are gonna go up in big flames, the water's gonna rise in flames. There's gonna be creatures runnin' every which way, some of them burnt, half of their wings burnin'. People are gonna be screamin' and hollerin' for help. See, the people that have been good - they're gonna go to heaven and escape all that fire. But if you've been bad, God don't even hear you. He don't even hear ya talkin'." (1978, Female)

5. "I'm 26, and I'm single, and a school teacher, and that's the bottom of the pit. And the only excitement I've known is here with me now. I'll go with you, and I won't whine, and I'll sew you socks, and I'll stitch you when you're wounded, and I'll do anything you ask of me except one thing. I won't watch you die." (1969, Female)

6. "You gentlemen aren't REALLY trying to kill my son, are you?" NORTH BY NORTHWEST

7. "I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me. " (1946, Male)

8. "General, on behalf of the former sinners of the future I would like to protest the closing of this mission." (1955, Male)

9. "Well, that covers a lot of ground. Say, you cover a lot of ground yourself. You better beat it - I hear they're going to tear you down and put up an office building where you're standing. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. You know, you haven't stopped talking since I came here? You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle." (1933, Male)

10. "This is the '90s. You don't just go around punching people. You have to say something cool first." (1991, Male)

PlaTheGreat said:

2. My first day here, he beat me because I threw out the bones from dinner. He came down at midnight and asked for them. And I asked him, I don't know how, I could never ask him now, I said, "Why are you beating me?" He said, "The reason I beat you now is because you ask why I beat you."
(1993)

3. Stand tall, boy. Have some respect for yourself. Don't you know if you let people walk over you now, they'll be walking over you for the rest of your life! Look at me. You think I'm gonna spend the rest of my life in this slop house?
(1985)

6. Oh I'm sorry, am I being a little graphic? I'm sorry. Well, I hope you're up for a little competition. She's got a power tool in the bedroom, dear. It's her own personal jackhammer. She could break sidewalk with that thing. She uses it and the lights dim, it's like a prison movie. Amazed she hasn't chipped her teeth.
(1993)

7. Well, I think Bill's got a point. If you look at the whole life of the planet, we... you know, man, has only been around for a few blinks of an eye. So if the infection wipes us all out, that is a return to normality.
(2002)

10. The soul of man has been given wings and at last he is beginning to fly. He is flying into the rainbow! Into the light of hope, into the future! The glorious future, that belongs to you, to me and to all of us. Look up, Hannah. Look up!
(1940)

14. Well, you can't know. Not until you look at a dumpster. But when you climb into that thing for the first time and you pull those newspapers over you, that's when you know you've messed your life up. Somebody comes along like your son, and gives me a leg up, I'll take it. Even from a kid, I'll take it.
(2000)

6 has got to be Mrs. Doubtfire

Alright, here are the only ones left.

Joey788 said:

8. I just told you the truth. I tell you the truth the first time. You don't have to ask me again. I never do that. I always tell you the truth. If I did it, you would know. I took her out a couple of times.

9. Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent. I thought you were supposed to be good. Aren't you the "good" man?

10. I promised a friend I would say hello to you today. Please say hello to me.

11. My dear friend... let us not forget that heaven is blue.

13. You can't do this to me, I'm an AMERICAN.

15. You run the job, but I run the show.

PlaTheGreat said:

(2002)

28 Days Later?

phillyfan26 said:
1. “Oh my God, they found Tom.”

5. Character 1: “Yo no me voy a poner esto! Esto duele!”
Character 2: “What? What are you saying?”
Character 3: “I've been brushing up on my Spanish of late, and I think he is saying something about, you know, his being Catholic, and it's a sin.”

6. “Leave the ball, will ya, George?”

8. “There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him.”

10. “Wait a minute, wait a minute. There's not enough room, man, you're bugging me. You're bugging me.”

11. “Kids today are amazing. I played winter ball down in Venezuala, they had kids half his age, every one of them speaking Spanish. And that's a hard language.”

14. “But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'”

CORRECTLY GUESSED:

2. “I think we make a real sharp couple of coconuts - I'm dumb, you're shy, whaddaya think, huh?” - Rocky, YLB
3. “You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia.” - Caddyshack, YLB
4. “You straightened my brother out?” - The Godfather (No spoken words)
7. Character 1: “Can I get you something?”
Character 2: “Yeah, do you have the Beatles' White Album? Never mind, just get me a glass of hot fat. And bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia while you're out there.” - Fletch (lazarus)
9. “Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (corianderstem)
12. “Dynamite drop-in, Monte. That broadcast school has really paid off.” - Major League II (YLB)
13. “Every night it's the fucking chicken! Holy God Almighty! Is it possible just once we could get something to eat for dinner around here that's not the goddamned fucking chicken?” - Little Miss Sunshine (Pla the Great)
15. “Senator? You can have my answer now, if you like. My final offer is this: nothing. Not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.” - Godfather Part II (YLB)

Joey788 said:

28 Days Later?
:up:

PlaTheGreat said:

Now I've added the gender and size of the role (mainly because I've been :waiting: for someone to get #3 already)

(1993, Supporting Actress)

(1940, Leading Actor)

(2000, Supporting Actor)

Guessed
1. The Shawshank Redemption, guessed by No spoken words
3. Back To The Future, guessed by LemonMacPhisto
4. American Psycho, guessed by Lila64
5. Shaun of the Dead, guessed by corianderstem
6. Mrs. Doubtfire, guessed by Diemen
7. 28 Days Later..., guessed by Joey788
8. Red Dragon, guessed by lazarus
9. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, guessed by LemonMacPhisto
11. Goodfellas, guessed by No Spoken Words
12. Donnie Darko, guessed by corianderstem
13. The Lion King, guessed by Lila64
15. American Beauty guessed by No spoken words
I'll reveal them in the morning if no one can get the above. :mad:

Last edited:
Pla, your 3 is Back to the Future.

Mayor Goldie Wilson... I like the sound of that!

LemonMacPhisto said:
Pla, your 3 is Back to the Future.

Mayor Goldie Wilson... I like the sound of that!

Yay yay yay!

You watch, Mr. Whatever, I'm going to clean up this town!
Good, you can start by sweeping the floors.

I don't know what more I can say without totally giving them away.

lazarus said:
1. " I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? Fuck! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here. " APOCALYPSE NOW

2. "This... this, the hollow at the base of a woman's throat, does it have an official name?" THE ENGLISH PATIENT

3. "I run this dump, and I don't know the technical mumbo-jumbo. Why do I run it? Cause I got horse sense goddamit, SHOWMANSHIP! And also I hope Lou told you this, I am bigger and meaner and louder than any other kike in this town. Did you tell him that Lou? And I don't mean my dick is bigger than yours, it's not a sexual thing. You're a writer, you know more about that." BARTON FINK

4. "I met this guy named Ding-Dong. He told me the whole Earth is goin' up in flame. Flames will come out of here and there and they'll just rise up. The mountains are gonna go up in big flames, the water's gonna rise in flames. There's gonna be creatures runnin' every which way, some of them burnt, half of their wings burnin'. People are gonna be screamin' and hollerin' for help. See, the people that have been good - they're gonna go to heaven and escape all that fire. But if you've been bad, God don't even hear you. He don't even hear ya talkin'." HINT: IT'S A VOICEOVER

5. "I'm 26, and I'm single, and a school teacher, and that's the bottom of the pit. And the only excitement I've known is here with me now. I'll go with you, and I won't whine, and I'll sew you socks, and I'll stitch you when you're wounded, and I'll do anything you ask of me except one thing. I won't watch you die." HINT: IT'S A WESTERN

6. "You gentlemen aren't REALLY trying to kill my son, are you?" NORTH BY NORTHWEST

7. "I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me. " HINT: BOGART

8. "General, on behalf of the former sinners of the future I would like to protest the closing of this mission." HINT: BRANDO

9. "Well, that covers a lot of ground. Say, you cover a lot of ground yourself. You better beat it - I hear they're going to tear you down and put up an office building where you're standing. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff. You know, you haven't stopped talking since I came here? You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle." HINT: GROUCHO MARX

10. "This is the '90s. You don't just go around punching people. You have to say something cool first." HINT: BRUCE WILLIS

Back
Top Bottom