A few questions about Contact Lenses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
I've been wearing glasses for a few years and thought about getting a new pair or trying out contacts, so I'm wondering a few things.

How much do they cost? Are desposibles more than regular?

Are they worth the hassle?

Do they fall out often? Do exercise and sports knock them out?

Is there anything else I should know about contacts before I try them?

dunno about the costs over therio but i havent had any probs.. i have soft month contacts which i have to take out every night, but its no biggy if i sleep with them. and every 21st of the month i get a fresh pair.. they never fell out although u dont want to swim with your eyes wide open of look straight up while in the shower, never tried it though.

ask your optiman if u can just try a pair.. i did.. walked around a week first before taking them.

I got contacts and a pair of glasses last year. Took me awhile getting used to put something in my eye. I like them much better than glasses, everything seems to be more vibrant. Only problem I have with them is late at night while driving, the glare gets to me eyes and images get a bit blurry. I have two week contact lenses but they're good for 1.5-2 months.

well my eyes are very sensitive and i actually have a small phobia about them being touched so it took some convincing but i really needed them for sport and whatnot.

overall they're really good. make sure you clean them in the solution every night and ensure they are very clean before you put them in cause it is the most uncomfortable feeling if there is even the smallest speck on the lenses.

i have monthly disposables, i think my mom got me 6 months worth for about $100 canadian dollars.

when wearing them with my oakley sunglasses i see much better than with my regular glasses, golf, jogging, volleyball, soccer-everything is easier when i have them in. they fell out once when i was drunk and it was windy out.

Disposable contacts are great- I've never had a prob with them falling out- it's happened a couple of times, but only because I wore them WAY too long in one day, took a nap, and they got real dry.

Like someone else said- I wear them for 1-2 months rather than the prescribed 2 weeks, so they're definately pretty cheap- esp. if you get them at Wallmart or Costco.

Originally posted by Peaseblossom:

Like someone else said- I wear them for 1-2 months rather than the prescribed 2 weeks, so they're definately pretty cheap- esp. if you get them at Wallmart or Costco.

That's what I do too. I wear them until they tear, usually.
smile.gif
I had regular contacts for a few years, but I like the disposable ones much better. They're more comfortable, and for some reason, they last longer than the regular ones.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Yah... I've got them.. Acuvue 2 I think are the ones.. They're about fifteen dollars a box of 8 maybe?.. 6 maybe?... I forget.. But You can, if you take them out every day and clean them and what not.. They can last a year if you want them to... I am one of those guys who doesn't take them out.. really ever.. but have never had any problem with protein buildup in my eyes .. But I would whole-Heartedly recommend them.. Acutallly with Vigor.. but that's just me...Hahaha..

L.Unplugged

I've been wearing contacts since I've been 16 and I would never go back to glasses full time. I've got soft lenses and I get a new pair every six months. I can only think of one occassion where one "came out", and I was just rubbing my eye and accidently caught it. But they don't just pop out, at least not soft lenses. The only big hassle is just cleaning them properly every night (yeah, sometimes I'll come home after a late night and just say screw it and sleep with them in) but now there are all-purpose solutions that clean, disinfect, and rinse all in one bottle which are great. I also love contacts cos I love wearing sunglasses, when it rains you don't have to worry about wiping off your damn lenses, and when it's cold and you walk inside a warm room, there's no more of that steaming up the lens thing that happens with glasses. Hope I've helped.

smile.gif

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

I'm interested in trying them out. I think I look way better without my glasses, plus the other benefits... one other question though, how much extra time do they take generally?

I got contacts just recently and they're a cinch to put in... of course, your first few times are gonna suck. *lol*

But you should check into whether you have astigmatism or not because that'll bring up the price. My eyes are really dependent on my astigmatism so I had to go for custom soft lenses... $300, non-disposables... all so I could snowboard fog free. It's worth it.

------------------
SlipStream Soul

hmmm I want them now too, hehe, my parents both wear them and my sister too now, but I only have sight in one eye so I'm a wee bit apprehensive about it, dunno if they would give me them for that reason too.
Oh well, we'll see

------------------
Love is a very powerful thing. There's nothing more radical than two people loving each other. When I talk about love I'm thinking of an unselfish love. Emotions can be bought and sold just like anything else, but I think real love is about giving and not expecting anything in return...I think that love stands out when set against struggle.
-Bono (on love in 'War')

?*~darkcloud~*?

Back
Top Bottom