A few lame questions about music and computers - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 09:19 AM
A few lame questions about music and computers

I know I should know this, but I don't.

1. Is an iPod the same as those mp3 players at other stores? If it isn't, what's the difference? If it is, what makes an iPod so special? I'm not thinking of getting either one, I'm just thinking.

2. I have over 400 songs on my school iMac that's three or four years old. When I'm playing the music, everything seems to run slower. Have I overloaded the damn thing?

3. I was trying to upload (right word?) a few songs from a cd to my school iMac the other day, and the cd made the computer freeze every time. No other cd has ever done this before. Does that mean the cd is protected or just fucked up? It plays fine on a cd player.

Thank you. You may snicker, but try not to laugh.

__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
Old 10-20-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 01:19 PM
I'm not snickering...I'm clueless too.
__________________

__________________
indra is offline  
Old 10-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
I Serve Larry's Stick
 
~LadyLemon~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Akron
Posts: 7,392
Local Time: 01:19 PM
Me too

I lack all technology and my computer is a dinosaur.
__________________
~LadyLemon~ is offline  
Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nowhere, New Mexico
Posts: 3,009
Local Time: 10:19 AM
1. All MP3 players are basically the same thing; I guess iPods are just more popular because:

a) They were the first hard drive-based players that weren't huge and ugly.
b) They're reasonably well made and have nice controls.
c) They work really well with the iTunes music player, which is pretty popular in its own right. They're also the only MP3 players that work with files bought from the iTunes Music Store, as far as I know.
d) They're perceived as stylish and cool.

But in general, it's kind of like how most people called portable cassette players Walkmans.

2) Could be. I remember I made my first MP3 on my 100 MHz Packard Bell; it was "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" at 56 kbps (didn't have enough hard drive space for higher quality). I couldn't play it and browse the web at the same time.

The original iMacs were between 233 and 700 MHz, so who knows. I remember using 300 MHz ones in high school, and they could handle MP3s fine (things got a little laggier, but not unbearably). Do you know if it's running OS X? That would probably slow things down a lot on an older computer. I think the easiest way to tell if you don't know is: is the Apple logo in the top-left rainbow-colored or one color?

3. You generally call it "ripping" when you're copying a CD to a computer (uploading it when you're copying a file from one computer to another). It could be locking shit up either because it's scratched up or copy-protected, like you said. What CD is it? Is it the only CD that does it?
__________________
typhoon is offline  
Old 10-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

2) The original iMacs were between 233 and 700 MHz, so who knows. I remember using 300 MHz ones in high school, and they could handle MP3s fine (things got a little laggier, but not unbearably). Do you know if it's running OS X? That would probably slow things down a lot on an older computer.
I think ours are 400 MHz. We're running OS 9.1 now, but our district wants us to upgrade to OS X without buying us new computers. It didn't run this slow before I added a bunch of songs this fall after I got my cd spinner fixed. I also can't print if I've had iTunes on. I have to restart the computer to print, which is a royal pain in the ass.


Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

3. You generally call it "ripping" when you're copying a CD to a computer (uploading it when you're copying a file from one computer to another). It could be locking shit up either because it's scratched up or copy-protected, like you said. What CD is it? Is it the only CD that does it?
It's Little Steven's Voice of America. It isn't scratched, and I don't see any copy-protected warnings on it. So far, it's the only cd that's done that.


Thanks for the help! Now I can be a
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 10-21-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,290
Local Time: 12:19 PM
Even if it is copy protected, it's really easy to get around it with a Sharpie.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 10-21-2005, 01:22 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 11:19 AM
#3-does the CD have bonus material that executes when you put it in your CD-rom? I have a few CD's that screw my dinosaur computer up when I run them.

This would be a problem if you had too little RAM or not enough to run it, basically. Might have something to do with your CD-rom speed reading certain discs etc. I have a disc with about 50 songs on it a friend gave to me and it only works about half the time on this piece of shit.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 10-21-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
War Child
 
RA-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 936
Local Time: 06:19 PM
The iPod is, essentially, just a flashy mp3 player but is one of the best marketed products I have ever encountered.
__________________
RA-D is offline  
Old 10-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,504
Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Even if it is copy protected, it's really easy to get around it with a Sharpie.

explain this to me.
__________________
IWasBored is offline  
Old 10-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #10
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
#3-does the CD have bonus material that executes when you put it in your CD-rom? I have a few CD's that screw my dinosaur computer up when I run them.

This would be a problem if you had too little RAM or not enough to run it, basically. Might have something to do with your CD-rom speed reading certain discs etc. I have a disc with about 50 songs on it a friend gave to me and it only works about half the time on this piece of shit.

It has two extra songs, but they're just extra songs.
__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com