A car question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattip2000

New Yorker
I have a 1993ish Volvo station wagon and every time I turn it on it stalls out on me. I can get it to stay on by pressing on the gas as I turn it on. Someone told me that I should put fuel injector cleaner (like STP I think) the next time I fill up my gas tank. Does this sound like what I need to do?
It seems to be worse the warmer it is and if my car has been sitting for longer, like overnight or at the end of a work day. And I checked and I do have oil and coolant in it, beyond that I’m lost in my engine.

^ :giggle: I'll give it a try. I'm up for trying anything that means I don't have to take it into the mechanic

hey pattip, thanks for the popmart dvd by the way...you may try a fuel injector cleaner. that would help with gas efficiency (I've experimented and it surprisingly worked). I used Prestone brand...I don't really think that would completely solve your problem though. Have a local mechanic look at it (make sure you know how much they'll charge for looking).

pattip2000 said:
I have a 1993ish Volvo station wagon and every time I turn it on it stalls out on me. I can get it to stay on by pressing on the gas as I turn it on. Someone told me that I should put fuel injector cleaner (like STP I think) the next time I fill up my gas tank. Does this sound like what I need to do?
It seems to be worse the warmer it is and if my car has been sitting for longer, like overnight or at the end of a work day. And I checked and I do have oil and coolant in it, beyond that I’m lost in my engine.

Could be an ignition problem. Try resetting the computer by unhooking the battery for a moment.

DrTeeth said:

Could be an ignition problem. Try resetting the computer by unhooking the battery for a moment.

I will try that

mattgerth said:
throttle position sensor?

:confused:

MrBrau1 said:
vaccum hose?

:confused:

I’m really hoping for something I can fix myself or a problem that will just magically go away. Thanks for the ideas, I’ll try the battery thing and the fuel injector cleaner. If those don’t work than I guess I’m going to have to check with a professional.

It's a tough one. My car was stalling out last month. A length of vaccum hose was leaking. Cost me $.65 to replace it. Car fixed.

But what's happening to you could be so many things, from $.65 cent repairs to $1,000+ repairs.

Are you getting a "Check Engine" light? If so, go to an auto parts store and have them read the code. It'll help you isolate the problem. But it sounds like a mechanic is in your future.

Back
Top Bottom