99 Billion served - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2002, 10:52 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:22 AM
99 Billion served

When I went past the McDonald's in the next town on the highway today I saw they had changed the sign to say 99 Billion served. I thought there was only 5.5 billion in the world. Are they servin' up aliens, or have they counted the same folks more than once? You figure?

------------------
I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit rock and roll.

Old 05-01-2002, 10:55 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think it refers to the quantity of burgers.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:22 AM
Hey, dead people count too, you know.

If 5.5 billion people each live an average of 70 years, then to serve 99 billion people, McDonalds would have to have been in business since the year 842. And of course it would be even farther back than that, since the population of the world has exploded in the last couple centuries or so.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:46 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

mcdonalds are the greatest manipulators of our time.

which other company serves shit to eat and has more customers than anyone else in the world, AND their customers keep coming back?

that really doesnt make sense does it, ha. at least they pay their workers minimum wage. shut them up.

sawdust and horsenail burgers. cant wait till tommorow and see how many hairs i can pick out of the frog lymphnode tandy 3000 burger...

gag

tell me you people dont eat there

------------------
-deathbear
Old 05-02-2002, 01:46 AM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

which other company serves shit to eat and has more customers than anyone else in the world, AND their customers keep coming back?

that really doesnt make sense does it, ha. at least they pay their workers minimum wage. shut them up.

sawdust and horsenail burgers. cant wait till tommorow and see how many hairs i can pick out of the frog lymphnode tandy 3000 burger...

gag

I don't eat there.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:00 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:22 AM
didnt mcdonalds start paying their workers
8 dollars an hour?
Old 05-02-2002, 02:25 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Mmm, love that antibiotic pig burger. But what happens when they run out of pigs?

Ah, it's like shooting fish in a barrel really.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:44 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

gag

That's some damn good sawdust they use in that Big Mac secret sauce, let me tell ya.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:31 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:
Hey, dead people count too, you know.

If 5.5 billion people each live an average of 70 years, then to serve 99 billion people, McDonalds would have to have been in business since the year 842. And of course it would be even farther back than that, since the population of the world has exploded in the last couple centuries or so.
How do you figure? I think you were calculating that McDonalds counts each person only once, regardless of how many times they ate at McDonalds. However, I'm positive that McDonalds counts each customer served, including repeat customers.

For example, if there are 5.5 billion people on earth, and 99 billion have been served, that means each person on earth has eaten at a McDonalds 18 times in his/her life. I believe the first McDonalds opened around 1954. So that gives almost 50 years for every person on earth to have eaten at a McDonalds 18 times.

Obviously, there are several billion people who have never eaten at McDonalds. However, in the U.S. alone, I estimate that there are about 125 million people (out of a total 250 million), just 1/8 of a billion, who probably eat at McDonalds at least 18 times a year (maybe even a month!), let alone in their lifetimes.

Let's break this down even more. I estimate that one third of those 125 million U.S. citizens (who are regular McDonalds' customers) average 50 McDonalds' visits per year (about one a week). That's right, I estimate that about 40 million Americans average one McDonalds' vist a week. That means 2 billion customers (meaning repeat customers) were served in the U.S. in one year. At that rate, it will take 50 years to reach 99 billion customers served - and that's just in the U.S.! Add in those in the U.S. who eat at McDonalds less frequently and then add in the rest of the world, and you can see how those numbers add up quickly. Remember, the key is repeat customers, not one time visits (or counting each person only once).

Plus, I'm sure McDonalds counts every single customer served, regardless of what was orderd. That includes those who came in just for a cup of coffee, those who came in just for a soda, those who came in just for fries, etc. This will inflate McDonalds' numbers significantly.

In other words, not only do I think 99 billion is possible, I think it might even be a low estimate.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 05-02-2002).]
Old 05-02-2002, 08:31 AM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:22 AM
I noticed the sign at one of our McDonald's says "Billions and Billions Served".

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place
Old 05-02-2002, 09:00 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick:
I noticed the sign at one of our McDonald's says "Billions and Billions Served".

Was that at the location in Carl Sagan's hometown?

And zoomerang96: I eat there quite often!

Old 05-02-2002, 09:41 AM   #12
War Child

Add me to the list of people who eat at McDonald's.

I would argue that they are not the greatest manipulators of our time. They're good, but nowhere near the greatest. People like the taste of their food, which greatly reduces the need for manipulation.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:39 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
How do you figure? I think you were calculating that McDonalds counts each person only once, regardless of how many times they ate at McDonalds. However, I'm positive that McDonalds counts each customer served, including repeat customers.
Exactly. I was considering the idea that they might be counting each person exactly once (which they obviously can't do, unless they have secret files on every citizen of Earth) and arriving at a very amusing but ridiculous conclusion.

Well, I thought it was amusing, anyway.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:38 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Disney is a bigger manipulator! Dumb big ass RAT!
Old 05-02-2002, 09:40 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener:
Disney is a bigger manipulator! Dumb big ass RAT!

Yes, and it's about $45 to go see him; and the rides aren't even fun. No one will criticize Disney though since they practice "political correctness."