97.3 The Planet goes online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
U2 Loses Prime Radio Play in Kansas City

97.3 The Planet, the biggest radio support for U2 in Kansas City, my favorite station, and a station that plays 6-8 U2 songs a day, rarely a repeat, has sent this sad sad e-mail -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jason,

Unfortunately we write to you today with much sadness. As of 6:00 p.m. this evening, 97.3 The Planet is no longer on the Kansas City radio dial. The management and ownership of Union Broadcasting have made the difficult decision to change the music format on 97.3 FM.

We at Union Broadcasting share your disappointment in 97.3 The Planet’s removal from the radio dial. The Planet was our favorite music radio station, too. Please know that the decision was not made lightly. Every option was explored and every scenario considered before this action was taken. However, the reality was that the station was ranked last in listenership among all FM stations in Kansas City. We felt the constant positive feedback from you, our listeners, and the overwhelming support our advertisers received indicated a broader audience, but unfortunately that was impossible to quantify. Our locally owned company could simply no longer afford the small revenues associated with the low ratings.

Union Broadcasting has committed to keeping The Planet alive in the best way we can. Beginning now, all of the music you loved listening to on The Planet is moving to the web in a commercial free live stream at www.973theplanet.com! Simply click on the link and listen to The Planet on line!

In many ways it is a sad and disappointing day at Union Broadcasting, but we are looking to the future with excitement about bringing a new kind of music format to Kansas City.

97.3 Max FM now plays Everything That Rocks! Many artists you enjoyed on The Planet will also be heard on Max FM, including U2, Tom Petty, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, Black Crowes, Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots, Bruce Springsteen, and Smashing Pumpkins.

Additionally, Max will rock with Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Metallica, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Foreigner, Motley Crue, Poison, Boston, Guns ‘N’ Roses, and many more! Max will play rockin’ music from five decades. If it rocks, you will find it on Max FM!

We hope you will sample the new station and continue to enjoy Planet music on the web at www.973theplanet.com!

Thanks for your loyal listenership and support of 97.3 The Planet! Please e-mail your comments to bryantruta@973theplanet.com.

Best Wishes,

Union Broadcasting Management and 97.3 The Planet
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sad times. Sad times indeed. This means U2 will not be a heavily played artist anymore, and songs will will just go down to the rocking tunes that are popular, which in U2's case is like 4. This also means new bands like Snow Patrol, Keane and The Doves lose Kansas City radio play period. I hate money. And I hate how politics get in the way of artistic integrity.

I'm not sure I get your complaint.

Yes, "The Planet" is gone... but it seems to have been replaced with "Max FM" - which will still play U2.

So maybe you won't hear U2 as frequently, but it looks like they are still in the rotation.

Sounds like a relatively minor change in formats to me - perhaps one that just expanded their choice of rock songs.

So unless I'm reading this incorrectly, I don't think this is such horrid news.

It seems to me like U2's still going to get played, although maybe not quite as much. It sounds like bands like Doves are the ones that are really going to see their airplay disappear, unless there are some good college radio stations in the KC area.

Back
Top Bottom