9/11 and Rage Against the Machine. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2002, 10:22 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:37 AM
9/11 and Rage Against the Machine.

A little hypothetical question:

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Rage Against the Machine was still together and released an album after 9/11. Do you think they would address 9/11/01, and, if so, how?

Bubba

Old 09-08-2002, 10:39 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

crys for the love of god, can't we wait two days

Old 09-08-2002, 10:56 PM   #3
Refugee

I think you and I both know what their opinions would be concerning the tragedy. As to whether or not they'd broadcast them or even find a label willing to distribute it, I'm not sure.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:22 AM   #4
Refugee

I imagine we both know how RATM should react, were it to remain consistent to its music.

But, that's the question, isn't it?

They never seemed entirely consistent, simultaneously criticising capitalism en masse, but complaining all the way to the bank - earning massive amounts of money in the very same system they supposedly despise.

Further, Tom Morello's message of condolences is a bit of a mixed message (emphasis mine):

Our deepest sympathy and condolences go out to all the people and their families affected by the attacks on Tuesday. The loss of innocent life is just terrible, and our thoughts go out to all of you who personally may have had friends or family killed or injured in the tragedy. The pain felt across the country demonstrates the lesson of Tuesday's events: that the taking of innocent life is devastating to a society and terribly wrong.

On Tuesday, the victims were American. But the horrible scenes that we've witnessed on TV this week are regular occurrences in other places around the globe. And too often, violence like this has been meted out by our own country and its client states. We should stand together against this type of violence in all its forms, whenever it happens, whether its done in the name of religious fanaticism, or in the names of our own domestic elite.

Our best wishes go out to all of you. Take care of yourselves, and each other.

Peace,
Tom Morello

The attack was terrible, and yet, Morello suggests that we got what we had coming to us. Further, condolences go to "all" the victims, and the loss of "innocent life," and yet...

...aren't the generals in the Pentagon and the CEO's in the World Trade Center precisely those type of people that RATM has suggested, in song, that we should violently overthrown?

I'm just curious: how would RATM have honestly reacted? And, if the reaction is as unpopular as I'd imagine it would be, would they have actually tried to express it in an album?

Just curious, and hoping those who know better the band and its music would give their input.

Bubba
Old 09-09-2002, 12:27 AM   #5
Refugee

BTW, POPAngel, I sincerely doubt you wouldn't be griping about this thread had I waited two days to post it.

(What would you have said then? That a year has passed and I should get over it?)

Bubba
Old 09-09-2002, 12:28 AM   #6
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
The attack was terrible, and yet, Morello suggests that we got what we had coming to us.
i'm surprised you've not put a bounty on his head for daring to disagree with you.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:55 AM   #7
Kid A

RATM spewed quite a bit of verbal diarhea over the years, and Tom and Zach haven't stood by their convictions

I've always admired Tom's guitar playing, I think he's one of the greats of his generation, but his (and the rest of the band's) position of ideology over people has all but ruined their music for me, I do like some of their songs, but as a whole I have very little respect for them and their often shameful politics
Old 09-09-2002, 12:57 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i'm surprised you've not put a bounty on his head for daring to disagree with you.
lol.

well to be honest, i find rage to be incredibly annoying, despite their incredible talents as musicians.

i agree with alot of what they say, but the way they do it makes me hurl.

incredible musicians, really...

but really, i do find them to be a bit hypocrital, in the sense that they are millionaires and oh no, thats such a sin to have money, but wait they do have alot of money...oh no, all of a sudden its a conflict of interest!

theyre hypocrites, but they may mean well.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:14 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

but really, i do find them to be a bit hypocrital, in the sense that they are millionaires and oh no, thats such a sin to have money, but wait they do have alot of money...oh no, all of a sudden its a conflict of interest!

theyre hypocrites, but they may mean well.
Sounds like Radiohead, too, no?

foray
Old 09-09-2002, 02:46 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

kinda like u2, eh?

no, i thought about them being like radiohead too, and though i believe they are, i dont believe they are anywhere near as being as gung-ho about it as ratm.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:50 AM   #11
Kid A

perhaps foray, but then I guess you could probably extend that to U2 as well then if you wanted to, but the simple fact is Rage took their hypocricy to great heights, and there is quite a large gulf between the sort of lyrics Zach has written and those that Thom writes, big difference between "you and whose army" and "bullet to the head," and as for Bono, I think we all know he is the first to admit there are contradictions in his actions

bottom line is the whole lot of 'em are hypocrites, but some pretend they aren't, which maybe is the issue here, I don't know...
Old 09-09-2002, 03:01 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Yes Wanderer. I'm not familiar with RATM anyway. Well, you folks already know what I think about the commercial side of Radiohead, I don't wanna be a broken record.

foray
Old 09-09-2002, 09:18 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
BTW, POPAngel, I sincerely doubt you wouldn't be griping about this thread had I waited two days to post it.

(What would you have said then? That a year has passed and I should get over it?)

Bubba

Do not try to put words in my mouth.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:52 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
I'm not sure how I should I react to this. Should I point out how utterly untrue, witless, and hypocritical it is?...

(You wrongly suggest that I want to silence Morello because I disagree with him, as part of your incessant and thinly veiled attempt to have ME silenced because you disagree with me. How amusing.)

Or should I congratulate you for having the courage to post this as a clearly visible message, so that you don't have to highlight it to read it (as has been done previously)?

(And I DID notice. QUITE cowardly of you.)

Hmm... I think I'll simply ask you to either ignore me (unless I say something egregiously offensive) or, AT LEAST, post a complaint that's a little more based in reality.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all - or at least say something that's TRUE.

Bubba
Old 09-09-2002, 10:03 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Do not try to put words in my mouth.
In the heading of your post in this thread, you said THIS:

"for the love of god, can't we wait two days"

You object to this thread, and I merely asked, had I "waited two days," would you NOT object?

I suggested the complaint, "that a year has passed and I should get over it," as one possibility - that you would you have a problem with this thread regardless. Given your recent replies to my comments, I have every reason to believe that.

Bubba