86 Reasons To Hate The Boston Red Sox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
86 Things We Hate About You
By David Schoenfield
ESPN.com Page 2

Draping the huge banner over the Green Monster was terrific. Having Yaz and Johnny Pesky raise the championship flag was a classy touch. Bringing out Bill Russell, Bobby Orr and Tedy Bruschi to throw out the first pitch undoubtedly brought tears to the eyes of many Bostonians.

After 86 years without a World Series title, the Red Sox and their fans deserved such a great ceremony.

But, seriously: Enough is enough.

Enough with the Red Sox.

You won. Excellent. Better you than the Yankees, that's for sure. Still ... it's become just a little too much for the rest of us.

We're starting to dislike the Red Sox. In fact, here are 86 reasons why ...

1. We still have 15 more Red Sox-Yankees games, full of inane hype and ridiculous amounts of attention, left this season, not including a potential playoff matchup.

2. Manny Ramirez's sudden and magical October transformation from absentminded, dim-witted slugger who makes costly baserunning gaffes to lovable, dreadlocked slugger who just plays the game with a little flair.

3. Johnny Damon's hair.

4. Johnny Damon. One .300 season out of four does not make you a star. Enough with the book, the ripping of the ex-wife, and the Page 3 photo galleries.

5. Curt Schilling's bloody sock. Hockey players mock this.

6. 2004 payroll: $127 million.

7. 2005 payroll: $123 million. So far.

8. Carlton Fisk's home run. Here's the deal: YOU LOST GAME 7.

9. Cowboy Up.

10. Ted Williams. The best hitter of his day. But a bad apple. In other words, an old-school Barry Bonds.

11. Derek Lowe's crotch grab in the 2003 playoffs.

12. Jason Varitek's "C" on his uniform. (OK, I admit: I'm still bitter over the Mariners' trading those two guys for Heathcliff Slocumb.)

13. Pumpsie Green. Not Pumpsie himself, but what Pumpsie's playing for the Sox finally meant. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up.

14. Butch Hobson, the reckless, error-prone player who was instrumental in the collapse of the '78 Red Sox.

15. Butch Hobson, the coke-sniffing manager of the Red Sox.

16. Hating Bill Buckner for 18 years.

17. Suddenly forgiving Bill Buckner, as if you haven't loathed every fiber of his soul for the past 18 years.

18. Bob Stanley blaming Rich Gedman.

19. Rich Gedman blaming Bob Stanley.

20. Everybody else blaming Calvin Schiraldi.

21. Or John McNamara.

22. "Yankees suck" chants. It's pathetic, lame, embarrassing and not funny. Give it up.

23. "Yankees suck" T-shirts. Even more pathetic, lame and embarrassing.

24. Theo Epstein's genius. Hey, didn't he put Manny Ramirez through waivers before last season?

25. We love Nomar. We hate Nomar. We love him. No, we hate him. Really. But we used to love him.

26. "Put Jim Rice in the Hall of Fame!" Red Sox fans are hollering, but Rice's career falls just short of Hall of Fame status. He received a huge bonus from playing in Fenway Park – for example, during 1977-79, he hit .350 with 82 home runs at Fenway, but just .290 with 42 home runs on the road. He grounded into a ton of double plays, which meant an extra 25 to 30 outs a year not measured in his batting average. And he had his last good year at age 33.

27. The sudden and inexplicable yearning of Red Sox fans to have Pokey Reese back on the roster.

28. The documentaries.

29. The HBO specials.

30. The ESPN specials. OK, we get the picture: Red Sox fans, prior to last season, had suffered immense, gut-wrenching, knee-dropping pain.

31. Bill Lee's eephus pitch. What a way to lose a World Series.

32. Seriously. We know you hate Bucky Dent.

33. Roger Clemens striking out 20 Mariners back in 1986. I don't have time to get into the details and the explanation, but that one game destroyed the Mariners franchise for nearly a decade.

34. Pinky Higgins.

35. The cramped seats at Fenway, which give you a great view of the Green Monster. Too bad you have to wrench your neck to face home plate.

36. All the bandwagon fans. As recently as 1998, the Red Sox ranked just ninth out of 14 teams in the American League in attendance.

37. That time Manny Ramirez played left field with a water bottle in his back pocket.

38. Doug Mirabelli's little soul patch thing below his lower lip.

39. Trot Nixon's hat.

40. Bronson Arroyo's cornrows.

41. Mike Myers' delivery.

42. Mueller? Millar? Miller?

43. "Fever Pitch."

44. Roger Clemens wearing the eyeblack and then going berserk in the 1990 playoffs against the A's. Classy.

45. Fans booing Ted Williams back in the day.

46. Williams giving the fans the finger.

47. The numerous T-shirts for sale outside Fenway suggesting Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez should, umm, do something we can't print here.

48. Johnny Damon's book.

49. Stephen King's book.

50. Bill Nowlin and Jim Prime's book.

51. Leigh Montville's book.

52. The Boston Globe's book.

53. Mike Vaccaro's book.

54. Peter Golenbock's book.

55. Tony Massarotti and John Harper's book.

56. The Boston Globe's other book.

57. The Boston Herald's book.

58. The Sporting News' book.

59. Dan Shaughnessy's updated book.

60. Seriously. We know. Bucky Bleepin' Dent.

61. Tom Brady.

62. The whole Wade Boggs-chicken thing. That was a little weird.

63. Dan Duquette running Roger Clemens out of town.

64. Dan Duquette not given credit by fans for then bringing Pedro Martinez into town.

65. Pedro's head-hunting through the years.

66. Mo Vaughn winning the 1995 AL MVP Award. It should have been Edgar Martinez. Compare: Mo hit .300 with 39 home runs, 126 RBI, a .388 OBP and .575 slugging pct.; Edgar hit .356 with 29 home runs, 113 RBI, .479 OBP (that's almost 100 points higher, folks) and .628 slugging pct.

67. Grady Little. For blowing the 2003 ALCS and letting the Yankees advance to the World Series.

68. Mike Torrez. For giving up that home run to Bucky Bleepin' Dent and letting the Yankees advance to the playoffs.

69. The entire 1978 team for blowing a 14-game lead and letting the Yankees advance to the playoffs.

70. Trading Sparky Lyle to the Yankees back in 1972 for some stiff named Danny Cater.

71. David Wells.

72. The whining.

73. The self-loathing.

74. The degree of whining and self-loathing.

75. The meltdown by Fenway fans in Game 4 of the 1999 ALCS, when a controversial call on the field led to fans bombarding the field with plastic bottles and other trash.

76. The lack of respect given to Dwight Evans. When's the last time you saw a Dewey Evans jersey at Fenway?

77. The 1947-51 Red Sox. Despite stars like Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, Vern Stephens, Mel Parnell and Ellis Kinder, they didn't win a single pennant those years. And the Yankee dynasty of the '50s began its domination.

78. That game in the Kingdome I was at in 1996 when Mike Greenwell set a record by driving in all nine runs in a 9-8 Red Sox victory.

79. Mike Gimbel.

80. Eating four sausages at Fenway.

81. The reverence given former owner Tom Yawkey. Geez, maybe he'd have won a World Series if he had considered signing Jackie Robinson or Willie Mays.

82. The strange infatuation with former reliever Rich "El Guapo" Garces.

83. The Pedro-Zimmer brawl.

84. Letting Carlton Fisk sign with the White Sox back in '81.

85. Did I mention "Fever Pitch"?

86. Another Page 2 story on the Red Sox or Yankees? My god, can't you clowns give it up? There are other teams out there, you know. Do you realize the Blue Jays are in first place right now? Even the Devil Rays are ahead of your beloved Red Sox and Yankees. Gimme a break. How 'bout the other Sox? They haven't won since 1917. When's the last time somebody made a documentary on their fans? And how 'bout those Brewers? Off to a 4-2 start? What do your columnists think about their chances this season? But, no ... Red Sox, Red Sox, Red Sox ...

David Schoenfield is an editor for Page 2 and is currently in custody with the Page 2 Writers Protection Program. You can reach him at davidschoenfield@yahoo.com.

:bow::bow::bow:

its amazing, the red sox and their fans have turned me into a yankees fan, and i never thought that would happen

Last edited:
Meh. It's not like Schoenfield never did anything to fuel the insanity.

I'll grant him points 43 and 85, but he's really reaching to fill out his list. This is one of those columns where the writer's job is to be anti-whatever everyone else thinks is popular. Except that with that particular purpose in mind, the column is about four months late. The column is just way too reactive for me to take it seriously.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

welcome to the dark side... the fans who can't stand red sox fans so much that they'll do what they never though possiable... root for the yankees.

our ranks are growing by the day...

Hell, why not. They haven't won a World Series since the last millennium. Everyone loves an underdog.

That list is great!!!! I would add Dan Duquette ruining Mo Vaughn's career by chasing him out of town. He should have been a Red Sox player his entire career.

I really dislike Dan Duquette. :barf: And this is coming from someone whose favorite team is owned by George Steinbrenner.

86 Reasons to Hate the Red Sox

I have 86 reasons to love them....but the best one is that they kicked the Yankees Ass during the World Series and they beat them two nights ago.

Red Sox rule!!!!!!

The Yankees suck!

Now, can we move on to bigger and better things that we agree about, like U2 rules!!!

Diane L said:
That list is great!!!! I would add Dan Duquette ruining Mo Vaughn's career by chasing him out of town. He should have been a Red Sox player his entire career.

I really dislike Dan Duquette. :barf: And this is coming from someone whose favorite team is owned by George Steinbrenner.

Oh, please. Find me *anybody* who likes Dan Duquette.

growing by the day... :wink:

i believe the biggest reason why i hate the red sox and their fans (in a baseball sense... i don't really hate you people personally... except for hewson) is their utter inability to comprehend why anyone would dislike their team.

:shrug:

On SportsNation's latest poll, about 40% of the audience thought the Sox were the biggest shark-jumpers out of a list that included...I can't seem to find the poll right now, but you get the idea. Of course, we all know that a bunch (not all, but definitely a lot) of these people were big Red Sox fans from October 2003 until March 2005 or so.

I just get the feeling that Page 2 thinks they're being cool by putting out this anti-Sox column when they're really just jumping on another big bandwagon. The problem is that Bill Simmons is by far their best writer, so of course Page 2 has contributed massively to the Sox overload which it now ridicules.

And of course, Simmons observed that the phrase "jump the shark" went GP on us about a year ago, anyway.

I really don't care who dislikes the Red Sox :shrug: and I understand why they would

I just think it's petty on the writer's part, I don't care what he thinks either though :D

I wonder if Yankee fans can understand why people hate the Yankees

Last edited:
Almost all Yankee fans know damn well that the team is disliked. Most of us even understand why. But every single one of us simply does not care. Hate away. A lot of people hate the Sox, too, and more now than ever. Especially when Werner or Lucchinio whine about deep Yankee pockets, while they themselves have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.

I like when the Sox are good, though, the Yankee/Sox rivalry is fun for me, and is good for baseball...at least the business end of baseball.

0- Top 3rd, Jaret Wright is my least-favorite Yankee of all-time, but I have to root for the bastard. Sigh. Schilling looks pretty good so far.

I got this in an e-mail

A Red Sox fan used to amuse himself by scaring every Yankee fan he saw strutting down the street in the obnoxious NY pinstripe shirt. He would swerve his van as if to hit them, and swerve back just missing them.
One day, while driving along, he saw a priest. He thought he would do a good deed, so he pulled over and asked the priest, "Where are you going Father?"

"I'm going to give mass at St. Francis church, about 2 miles down the road" replied the priest.

"Climb in, Father! I'll give you a lift!"

The priest climbed into the passenger seat, and they continued down the road.

Suddenly, the driver saw a Yankee fan walking down the road, and he
instinctively swerved as if to hit him. But, as usual, he swerved back
into the road just in time.

Even though he was certain that he had missed the guy, he still heard a loud "THUD".

Not understanding where the noise came from, he glanced in his mirrors but still didn't see anything. He then remembered the priest, and he turned to the priest and said, "Sorry Father, I almost hit that Yankee fan."

"That's OK," replied the priest, "I got him with the door"

(in a baseball sense... i don't really hate you people personally... except for hewson)
Sounds like a personal attack...I'm gonna have to report you...to Jick.

Schoenfield should just go sit in the rubble that was once the Kingdome and cry about the sad state of Seattle baseball, and sports in general (The Sonics will be a first round upset victim).

Maybe he should set foot in Fenway before he comments about the lack of respect for Dewey Evans...on that point he has no clue, he is way off base.

And its funny that he had to use Fever Pitch 77 times to fill out his 86 items, not clever enough to come up with 86 actual items.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
Sounds like a personal attack...I'm gonna have to report you...to Jick.

Alas, he's been suspended.

Cheers,

H

fleet.jpg

Last edited:
As a Jays fan, I hate the Sox and Yankees on sheer principle *snerk* But it's nothing compared to my dislike/hate for the Tigers... *mutters about 84 and various other years* :madspit:

Won't stop me from ever seeing a game at Fenway Park though (Tiger Stadium ROCKED, I miss it *sigh* And they were always nice to Jays fans), or Yankee Stadium for that matter - grant you, I'd be cheering AGAINST the Sox/Yankees if that ever happens :wink:

Drea said:
As a Jays fan, I hate the Sox and Yankees on sheer principle *snerk* But it's nothing compared to my dislike/hate for the Tigers... *mutters about 84 and various other years* :madspit:

Well, in 1984, the Tigers were invincible. 35-5 coming out of the gate.

1987, I can understand. Jays up by 2 games, season-ending series with Detroit...

Won't stop me from ever seeing a game at Fenway Park though (Tiger Stadium ROCKED, I miss it *sigh* And they were always nice to Jays fans), or Yankee Stadium for that matter - grant you, I'd be cheering AGAINST the Sox/Yankees if that ever happens :wink:

I wonder if you ever had an "obstructed view seat" at Tiger Stadium.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Hey ARod supposedly saved a kid from an oncoming car in Boston. Who knew he had such quick reflexes? :wink:

Oh great. This completely messes up my entire life's philosophy and worldview.

And one more thing...Gary Sheffield, get the ball into the infield *first*, then you can go and beat the crap out of the fan who slapped you if you so desire. Do you realize you could have given Jason Varitek an inside-the-park home run?

Last edited:
Drea said:

87' was the worse year for Tigers/Jays. Seven games left, and the Jays only need one victory to clinch and got swept by the Tigers in season ending series. That took a long time for the Jays to get over.

OK, back to your Red Sox bashing. BTW, it was not Buckner's fault in '86, he should never have been on the bag in the first place, bad managing by McNamara.

Carry on.:wink:

sheffield should be fined and get a game or two suspension, the a-hole who decided it would be a good idea to smack him in the face should be arrested and banned fron fenway park. the security guard who jumped in right away should get a promotion and a raise.

i'm so sick of this childish bullshit that goes on at these games. i really hope both of these teams suck and miss the playoffs so that we can stop giving a shit about this bullcrap.

theo epstein should show some nuts and make a stand. when the fans in yankee stadium's bleacher seats started getting too crazy a few years back, they bannned alcohol sales in that particular section. fenway should do the same in that area near pesky's pole. it's too damn close to the players. all we need is some asshole who's had one too many cocktails to take a swing at a player and cause a riot.

if sheffield didn't show restraint and had gone into the crowd, it would have made the ron artest incident look like nothing.

there is genuine hatred from a lot of the fans in this stupid rivalry, and it's sad and pathetic.

speedracer said:

Well, in 1984, the Tigers were invincible. 35-5 coming out of the gate.

1987, I can understand. Jays up by 2 games, season-ending series with Detroit...

Try having a Tigers fan for a next door neighbour in 84, especially babysitting for said neighbour, and you'll know why I'm bitter about that year :lol:

Let's not even talk about 87... :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

I wonder if you ever had an "obstructed view seat" at Tiger Stadium.

No I didn't - but that's because Dad was the one taking me (Mom would've freaked had I gone to Detroit by myself :laugh: )

Back
Top Bottom