80s music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
No, tourist, you need GOOD 80s songs. (Crowded House and U2 excepted from that list above, naturally.)

Starship? PHAIL.

:wink:

Thank you. I thought that list was pretty lame :hi5: (no offense tourist :) )

And yes, that General Public song was cool. Check out some English Beat as well, like Mirror In The Bathroom, ...

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
No, tourist, you need GOOD 80s songs. (Crowded House and U2 excepted from that list above, naturally.)

Starship? PHAIL.

:wink:

It's something I got when I was 16 and just re-imported. I love the Kim Wilde and Bananarama songs though. And who doesn't love Lady In Red??

I can't believe there has been no mention of Huey Lewis and the News! Patrick Bateman would murder you all!
Check out "The Power of Love" and "Hip To Be Square"

Also:
New Order - Blue Monday
Culture Club - I'll Tumble 4 Ya & Karma Chameleon
When In Rome - The Promise
Toni Basil - Hey Mickey! :wink:
Paula Abdul - Straight Up
George Michael - Faith
I have to mention: Europe - The Final Countdown :wink:
Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
The Knack - My Sharona
Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
(See this video for the best version of the above song.)
Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible & his cover of Mercy Mercy Me/I Want You (which was 1990, but we can let it slide...right??)
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Mike + The Mechanics - All I Need Is A Miracle and also The Living Years
Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al :heart:
The Vapors - Turning Japanese
Prince - When Doves Cry, Kiss, 1999, I Feel For You
Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up and Together Forever
Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me :shifty:
Van Halen - Jump :rockon:

Reiterating: Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, The Police, Peter Gabriel

You can't go wrong with Madonna or '80s Michael Jackson either.

I'd rather hear Chris DeBurgh's "Don't Pay the Ferryman."

But I'm reeeeeeally picky about what 80s ballads I tolerate. There aren't many of them.

Just added The Wedding Singer Soundtrack:

"White Wedding" by Billy Idol
"Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" by Culture Club
"China Girl" by David Bowie :drool:
"Everyday I Write The Book" by Elvis Costello
"Blue Monday" by New Order
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by The Police
"Video Killed The Radio Star" by The Presidents of USA (I know it's not 80s, but I figured I should mention it)
"Love My Way" by Psychadelic Furrs
"How Soon Is Now?" by The Smiths
"Hold Me Now" by Thompson Twins

Lila64 said:

And yes, that General Public song was cool. Check out some English Beat as well, like Mirror In The Bathroom, ...

I LOVE The English Beat!!!!

And Mirror In The Bathroom is cool, but it's ALL ABOUT "I Confess"! :drool: :drool: :combust: :rockon:

That was the song I played before I left for EVERY law school final exam! (Don't ask me why. I'm OCD like that! :lol: )

Darling, I confess, yes, I've ruined three lives
And I didn't care, until I found out one of them was mine

corianderstem said:

a-ha - The Sun Always Shines On TV (I prefer it to Take On Me, which is blasphemy, I know)

:up: I love how the end of Take On Me carries through to The Sun Always Shines On TV...both videos were extremely original, and cutting-edge for their time. The latter is even a bit spooky, with the musical mannequins.

PlaTheGreat said:
I can't believe there has been no mention of Huey Lewis and the News! Patrick Bateman would murder you all!
Check out "The Power of Love" and "Hip To Be Square"

Also:
New Order - Blue Monday
Culture Club - I'll Tumble 4 Ya & Karma Chameleon
When In Rome - The Promise
Toni Basil - Hey Mickey! :wink:
Paula Abdul - Straight Up
George Michael - Faith
I have to mention: Europe - The Final Countdown :wink:
Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
The Knack - My Sharona
Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
(See this video for the best version of the above song.)
Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible & his cover of Mercy Mercy Me/I Want You (which was 1990, but we can let it slide...right??)
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Mike + The Mechanics - All I Need Is A Miracle and also The Living Years
Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al :heart:
The Vapors - Turning Japanese
Prince - When Doves Cry, Kiss, 1999, I Feel For You
Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up and Together Forever
Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me :shifty:
Van Halen - Jump :rockon:

Reiterating: Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, The Police, Peter Gabriel

You can't go wrong with Madonna or '80s Michael Jackson either.

Yes, yes, yes! Mike + The Mechanics were my very first concert experience! I saw them when I was 12, in Vancouver. They were great live. So many 80s memories. I remember thinking how the Fine Young Cannibals could be the next big thing, because they sounded so different and unique. (I'd obviously suck at fortune-telling, because they quickly vaporized.) Madonna and Michael Jackson were just off the charts....or Off The Wall! :happy:

Huey Lewis's "Sports" album was the official 'driving-around during-summer' soundtrack for me and my dad when I was 9 or 10. When that album's popularity ran into Back to the Future the following summer Huey could do no wrong! He had something interesting going, where his personality was even bigger than the music. A lovable uncle type.

Lila64 said:
The Go-Gos - Our Lips Are Sealed, We Got The Beat

so many more!

http://www.afn.org/~afn30091/80songs.html

I had a massive crush on Belinda Carlisle, especially when she went solo with Mad About You. I always pretended she was singing about Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXj0QcSDVRE I loved her hair. :wink:

No spoken words said:
OMG, was this up for debate???? It's not even close.

It was pre-emptive against anyone who might say "OMG I looooove the No Doubt version" or "Is that a cover of the No Doubt song"?

(yes, I realize that's unlikely because we're talking about the 80s and unless Talk Talk owns a time machine and went back to the 80s, recorded the song and declared it an original it makes no sense, but still.)

Thank you. I like to picture myself wearing big ol' combat boots, walking around and stomping the shit out of stuff.

I'm kind of cranky this afternoon. :grumpy:

But for the record, the f-bomb in that other thread was me being in the mindset of those hippie anarchists in Oregon.

Because you know, I never ever drop f-bombs. :angel:

My bad.

Huey Lewis got a shout out. I'd be lying if I did not admit to liking some of his songs. I think "If This is It" is my favorite, for whatever reason.

I like the Ultravox call early on Alicia....Vienna is a cool song....I like Dancing with Tears in my Eyes and Love's Great Adventure, too. Like a lot of people in here, I could talk about 80's music for hours.

I think the only other Ultravox song I know is Dancing With Tears In My Eyes, and I only know that because I have the Live Aid DVDs!

Speaking of which, I need to watch them again sometime soon.

I used to love Huey Lewis -- Sports was the fist album I bought with my own money (... or it was Men At Work, I can't quite remember).

I'd say the only song of his I really like now is The Power Of Love. Great opening, great chorus.

The first album I bought on my own, with my own money, was Asia by Asia. War was 2nd.

Heat of the Moment and Only Time Will Tell FTW. 80's tunes, too. :)

I remember seeing those Asia videos on MTV at my friend Penny's house.

My parents had forbidden me from watching MTV, but Penny's mom kept our little secret. As did my grandma, who let me watch it as much as I wanted. :)

You know, she moved away after 7th grade and we quickly drifted apart. About two years ago, she tracked me down via the internet and we had some wonderful email exchanges ... and then she drifted out of contact again. :(

Another 80s favorite: Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out

Back
Top Bottom