8 Mile-Did Anyone See It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
It made 54.5 million dollars this wknd, and has gotten very good reviews. I even heard there's Oscar buzz for Eminem :eyebrow: I guess Curtis Hanson deserves an Oscar just for putting up w/ Eminem :D

I admit, I'm curious about it...but I can't see myself paying $ to see it.

The dj's on the radio were talking about it, and they think it's way overhyped...they didn't think it was very good.

At a theater in one of the tri-cities here, a guy pulled a gun out during the middle of a showing of the movie. :no:

Bonochick said:

At a theater in one of the tri-cities here, a guy pulled a gun out during the middle of a showing of the movie. :no:

That's one reason I wouldn't want to go. I saw a fistfight break out at The Truman Show :shrug:

Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars-here's the link to the review if anyone's interested

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-8mile08f.html

I can't imagine the Academy ever giving him an Oscar-they'd be too afraid of what he'd say :D

I'd like to see it... but I think I'll wait.
Two Words: Dollar theatre
Course my brother (big eminem fan) may drag me to the theatre over thanksgiving break to see it. He's totally paying if he does.
Eminem doesn't bother me too much... I think his current hit (off the soundtrack) is okay, but the one before that kinda sucked.
Maybe cos my brother makes me listen to rap so much :no:

my friend dragged me to go see it on friday.

i thought it was alright, nothing special... the only thing that stood out i guess, was the rapping or battling. other than that, it was ok. your basic kinda rise to fame movie. except that they didn't show him rising to fame. did any of that make sense? :der:

I thought the movie was wonderful. Curtis Hanson filmed the characters without judgement, and with respect. I greatly enjoyed the peak into people's lives that I don't see very often, and enjoyed the portrayal that not all of them are just rapping punks. They have brains, talent, drive and willpower - it's just that they were born to life in hard streets and they are doing their best to rise up out of it all.

I wouldn't recommend it necessarily because the subject matter wouldn't appeal to everyone. Eminem's performance was very skilled and vulnerable. I would be surprised if this movie didn't rack up nominations. It's a movie that finally sheds a loving and truthful light on the rap game and doesn't provide easy answers. I really liked it. The battle scenes at the end are hilarious and brilliant.

HelloAngel said:
I thought the movie was wonderful. Curtis Hanson filmed the characters without judgement, and with respect. I greatly enjoyed the peak into people's lives that I don't see very often, and enjoyed the portrayal that not all of them are just rapping punks. They have brains, talent, drive and willpower - it's just that they were born to life in hard streets and they are doing their best to rise up out of it all.

I wouldn't recommend it necessarily because the subject matter wouldn't appeal to everyone. Eminem's performance was very skilled and vulnerable. I would be surprised if this movie didn't rack up nominations. It's a movie that finally sheds a loving and truthful light on the rap game and doesn't provide easy answers. I really liked it. The battle scenes at the end are hilarious and brilliant.

WOW!!... I kinda want to see it!! :eek:

I agree with HelloAngel- I thought the movie was very good. The characters felt real, and I thought that Eminem did an excellent job acting and rapping. The rapping scenes were really well done and enjoyable. I'm sure that it's not a movie for everyone, but if you're considering seeing it I'd encourage you to!

well, from what ive heard is that the plot is awful, though em's performance is fine. i guess i cant judge it if i havent seen it though, can i?

i must say his latest single is his best piece of work to date...not only is it NOT negative, its positive! now theres a concept!

i saw it friday.
if you hate him, don't go.

if you like some of his music, go maybe

he has grown on me

i expected a little more
it is a good movie

he is not going away anytime, soon

Eminem is an amazing artist...

his videos craic me up with laughter, esp 'I Just Dont Give A Fuk' (something like that, blarg! Its black and white and features a clown) :up:

:D

damn tat videos funny! Esp when he is in the shoppin cart and it falls over........u would not believe how much I laugh my a*se off!

Id like to see 8Mile........I heard he was very good too, very toned down...........and at the premiere, he was WELL toned down!

I heard Christina Auguleira (whateva ;)) said at the premiere she too now wants to try a hand at acting!

:evil:

still might have to wait for 8 mile on vid.............but yes, its one I DO want to see.............

Zoomerang96 said:
well, from what ive heard is that the plot is awful, though em's performance is fine.

That's pretty much what I think.. Eminem is a good actor, and the movie was good in some places, but what I keep asking myself is, what is even the point of that movie? It just felt like there was no purpose to it at all. Too bad, because I was really hoping it would be good. :shrug:

Eminem is an enormous, talentless, offensive and ridiculous prat who needs a good slapping. I hate his music, I hate his lyrics, and I hate the fact that he's getting good reviews and praise for this movie and his acting, when all he's doing is acting as himself.

Ant.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
i wasn't too sure about it at first, but now i want to see this movie.

interesting, i thought Christina hated Eminem...sorry, i find it funny that she was at the premiere.

Yeah, now that you mention it, that IS strange -- Eminem slandered her in a song or video, didn't he? Very odd. I am pretty sure I remember seeing an interview with her saying she couldn't understand why he hated her. :huh:

Last edited:
elevatedmole said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, that IS strange -- Eminem slandered her in a song or video, didn't he? Very odd. I am pretty sure I remember seeing an interview with her saying she couldn't understand why he hated her. :huh:

:lol: Not that I am happy about knowing this, but supposedly Christina and Em "patched things up" backstage at the VMA's after she presented an award to him. Evidently they get along fine now. What's even more interesting are all the reports that he is actually a "real sweetie/nice guy" in his personal life when he is just Marshall and not in the Eminem character.

I believe him to be intelligent and talented. I loved 8 Mile, and I own and like his new CD. :shrug:

Anthony said:
Eminem is an enormous, talentless, offensive and ridiculous prat who needs a good slapping. I hate his music, I hate his lyrics, and I hate the fact that he's getting good reviews and praise for this movie and his acting, when all he's doing is acting as himself.

I totally agree with you.

HelloAngel said:

I agree more or less with this review. His angry little boy schtick wears thin after awhile, yet it's authentic (I think). I saw it with a friend in an Hispanic neighborhood and me, my friend and local celeb Shirley MacClaine were the only white people (and the only people over 30) there, lol. I enjoyed it although I thought the whole movie was leading up to a performance of the single from the movie (I assumed the video was taken from the film) and was disappointed that you only hear that song when the credits roll. (I hope that wasn't a spoiler for anybody.)

Anyway, I also agree with deep...he ain't going nowhere (unless somebody shoots him). And I also agree with Anthony that he needs a good slapping. But I do think he is hugely talented, kinda like the male Madonna of the rap community (i.e., genuine artist pushing the envelope, not some overnight sensation who will disappear anytime soon.) I have no intentions of buying a record, though, until he outgrows his angry bad boy boring thing and starts writing songs that don't rely on making fun of other people in order to elevate himself.

Zoomerang96 said:
i must say his latest single is his best piece of work to date...not only is it NOT negative, its positive! now theres a concept!

I agree. I have been an Eminem hater because he is just too negative and hateful for me, but his last one, I actually found myself listening and liking it!

Back
Top Bottom