8 Hiscock Road, Melbourne Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll be taking some overnight trains, minimum i'll be doing varna (bulgaria) to bucharest and bucharest to belgrade. i may also book 2 nights in a row to go round trip from bucharest to chisenau, the moldovan capital, just to see moldova, but i'm wary especially of doing that alone, so we'll see.

Yes, I just turned green with envy.

or the fact that i'm never online.

i would have been keeping pace with ian if i weren't traveling, so use that as a barrometer.

I think you would have pulled ahead of him. You're less than 3,000 behind at the moment despite your travels.

Yes, I just turned green with envy.
well apparently i should be worried about getting gassed, ahving my bag slashed and all my shit stolen. :shrug:

i'm mostly worried about sleeping for even a few hours, oh and how much of a bribe i'll have to shell out in moldova.

well apparently i should be worried about getting gassed, ahving my bag slashed and all my shit stolen. :shrug:

i'm mostly worried about sleeping for even a few hours, oh and how much of a bribe i'll have to shell out in moldova.

You can tell my mind went straight to "oooh foreign trains!" rather than "shit, it may not be entirely safe!" But nobody's surprised by that.

well i'm reading up on it now, this sounds kinda cool:

Moldova travel guide - Wikitravel
At the border crossing the cars are lifted individually onto larger gauge wheels to fit Moldovan tracks.

Oooh, that sounds like it'd be awesome. I'd probably end up taking a million photos. Or 300. That sounds like a realistic figure, knowing my photography habits.

well i must sample their beer and wine, so i should probably stay 1 night if i can find a hostel. (sorry, planning for future travels monopolizes my internet time)

and more info

Chişinău travel guide - Wikitravel

well it sounds like the horror stories are from the ukranian border with transintania or whatever it's called, the mafia's very own country. so i'll probably go. :hyper:

If you went to Transnistria, though, it'd be another Superthread location for the list. :wink:

(We went to its alternate name, the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic.)

Oooh, that sounds like it'd be awesome. I'd probably end up taking a million photos. Or 300. That sounds like a realistic figure, knowing my photography habits.
in the middle of the night it is quite dark, presumably. also i'd be afraid to pull out my camera a) at a border crossing b) revealing it to the potential theifs on the train.

but it should be cool. do you think everyone has to get off the train in the middle of the night for it, or do you stay on?

If you went to Transnistria, though, it'd be another Superthread location for the list. :wink:

(We went to its alternate name, the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic.)
that's really awesome, i can't believe i missed it! i don't think it's wise to go as a lone female who doesn't speak the language. i'd like to go someday, though, it sounds really cool and isolated. maybe if i meet up with a russian or bulgarian speaking male in bucharest who wants to go, i'd do it. but fat chance.

in the middle of the night it is quite dark, presumably. also i'd be afraid to pull out my camera a) at a border crossing b) revealing it to the potential theifs on the train.

but it should be cool. do you think everyone has to get off the train in the middle of the night for it, or do you stay on?

Ah, yeah, who knows how happy they'd be with photography. I'm not all too familiar with change-of-gauge procedures. I know it CAN be done without unloading passengers, but who knows if they've got a system like that or if it's one where they turf everybody out. You can guarantee that with safety regulations in Australia, everybody would be kicked out here! On a steam excursion I went on in June, we got kicked off the train simply whenever it had to shunt into a siding to let another train pass!

Ah, yeah, who knows how happy they'd be with photography. I'm not all too familiar with change-of-gauge procedures. I know it CAN be done without unloading passengers, but who knows if they've got a system like that or if it's one where they turf everybody out. You can guarantee that with safety regulations in Australia, everybody would be kicked out here! On a steam excursion I went on in June, we got kicked off the train simply whenever it had to shunt into a siding to let another train pass!
i have no idea what the last part of your post means, lol.

it'll be fun, i'm excited for moldova now, earlier i was a little tentative. i love wikitravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom