8 Harry Potter films, not 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiki

New Yorker
mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it
Last 'Harry Potter' Book Becomes 2 Films
Thursday March 13 5:50 AM ET

Harry Potter was the center of seven novels, but he'll star in eight films. The final book in the wildly successful series will be made into two films, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday.

Producers are expected to announce Thursday that J.K. Rowling's last "Potter" installment, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," will be split into two parts on the big screen. The first film is slated for release in November 2010, with part two following in May 2011.

"It was born out of purely creative reasons," producer David Heyman told the Times. "Unlike every other book, you cannot remove elements of this book."

The two final "Potter" films will be shot concurrently, much like the blockbuster trilogy based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic fantasy novel "The Lord of the Rings"

Another famous Tolkien tome, "The Hobbit" is also being split into two live-action movies set for back-to-back shooting to begin next year.

Filming on the sixth "Potter" flick, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," began in September.

"It's been brilliant," said star Daniel Radcliffe. "It's also, I think, the funniest of the films so far."

The "Potter" film franchise has pulled in $4.5 billion at the worldwide box office.

If they crammed everything into one film and left out loads of stuff, 20 years later we'd still be talking about the Great Potterfan Riots of 2010.

I can see how they will do it, but most of the subplots were cut out entirely in the films, so what's point in making 2 films instead of one Return of the King-sized one other than $$$?

Oh wait...

Too bad Del Toro didn't get to do the last two films, in which case I might have actually given a crap.

So this means that the months long miserable camping trip around Britain will feature heavily in the film(s)?

Yay?

The worst part is I'm pretty sure I'll go to see them both.

The last one and Prisoner of Azkaban are the only films worth a damn, hopefully the next few movies are as good, if not better.

It's not like there isn't good material to work with.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The last one and Prisoner of Azkaban are the only films worth a damn, hopefully the next few movies are as good, if not better.

Yeah, I mostly agree with this. POA is a good film, OOTP a pretty good film, while the rest are entertaining movies.

/pretentious film school snobbery

But I love them all. They're all fun in their own right and I try not to compare them to the books because, IMO, all books are ALWAYS better than the filmed version.

My favorite book was POA and i guess that movie was all right.
But I was highly disappointed with OOTP, thats also one of my favorites. It felt like everything was so clippy and it went too fast.
GOF should have had more Sirius...esp. since he died in the next one

Cuaron did an amazing piece a work on Azkaban, though I haven't read any of the books. It had that Empire Strikes Back vibe to it, and was the first HP film that had any kind of artistic merit.

Phoenix was almost as enjoyable.

I'm definitely following this films faithfully and plan on seeing the rest, but I have NO desire to read the books whatsoever.

lazarus said:
Cuaron did an amazing piece a work on Azkaban, though I haven't read any of the books. It had that Empire Strikes Back vibe to it, and was the first HP film that had any kind of artistic merit.

Phoenix was almost as enjoyable.

I'm definitely following this films faithfully and plan on seeing the rest, but I have NO desire to read the books whatsoever.

You're sad. Remember the days when a reference to lance's on going virginity would tee you up for a long and humorous run of posts?

Good times.

I was going to wait for his response, which probably would have yielded much more opportunities.

And I love how no one acknowledged the Guillermo Del Toro/Benicio Del Toro mixup on the last page.

You people probably think all Del Toros are the same.

Racists.

lazarus said:
And I love how no one acknowledged the Guillermo Del Toro/Benicio Del Toro mixup on the last page.

I noticed it, but I couldn't remember the director's first name, and I didn't want to mention it without putting in both their first names.

Thanks for stepping up, man.

I feel we should be combing his journal entries for keys to his abrupt disappearance.

This could make a good Lemonade Stand thread.

The NSW Conspiracy: Post your theories here!

LemonMacPhisto said:

That, and Voldemort scenes in GoF.

Wish they'd do 3 hour HP movies starting with GoF. I guess WB wants to cash this as long as possible...and nothing against Yates, but I was hoping for someone new to direct the last one.

Dalton said:

You're sad. Remember the days when a reference to lance's on going virginity would tee you up for a long and humorous run of posts?

Good times.

Was it a request to personally take it from me?

If so I require no less than a steak dinner and viewing of Gangs of New York beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom