6 - # of Straya threads or # of times we've changed Prime Minister in a decade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's surely a marker of the strange, palsied state of our media and political life that there's been next to no mention throughout of Turnbull's ostensible trigger for holding the damn double dissolution in the first place (ie. the building and construction commission). Or anything much, excepts jobsangrowth.

Me and Ax voted. I left him behind because I voted above the line not 1-116 :lol:

Long wait, but they had a band playing and snags in bread were a very acceptable $2.50.

It's surely a marker of the strange, palsied state of our media and political life that there's been next to no mention throughout of Turnbull's ostensible trigger for holding the damn double dissolution in the first place (ie. the building and construction commission). Or anything much, excepts jobsangrowth.

Fun fact: almost never has the trigger actually mattered. 1974 is the biggest exception, but usually the campaign has been overtaken by other things.

Jobs and Growth Definitely Not A Cruel Nickname For Former Apple CEO And His Tumour

:lol:

Being in a safe Liberal seat. :sad:

Thank god for the Senate?

And of course there's the hope you'll help make it less safe.

Me and Ax voted. I left him behind because I voted above the line not 1-116 :lol:

When you said goodbye I think I was almost halfway through. :laugh:

I was pleasantly surprised when I realised the person next to me was also going below the line.

I grabbed another democracy sausage afterwards and it felt like a satisfying reward for a vote well made.

I went below the line but sorry, couldn't make it to 100 or however many it was. I petered out in the thirties because after that point, I just hate them all. Drawing a minute distinction is next to impossible even knowing what I know about the parties involved (as for random independents, forget it in 99% of cases. Who knows what they're running for (or from; a la Cleaver Green).

I really think it's only worth going below the line if you want to reorder any party's candidates (I modified five lists) or to express a preference for an ungrouped independent (Victoria has the lawyer who sued the Howard government on behalf of the Tampa refugees). Otherwise there's no difference just filling in as many boxes as possible above the line.

I really think it's only worth going below the line if you want to reorder any party's candidates (I modified five lists) or to express a preference for an ungrouped independent (Victoria has the lawyer who sued the Howard government on behalf of the Tampa refugees). Otherwise there's no difference just filling in as many boxes as possible above the line.

It's true that it can get a bit pointless, but I guess I had one or two people in mind that just about made it worthwhile (ie who wouldn't have been caught in the net merely sticking above the line).

I loved one independent candidate for Victoria who had the SAME video autoplay on every single page on his website. Mate, I've already fucking seen your goddamn video.

Who the hell watches any of them? When I'm reading the paper, well, it's right there in the verb: I'm READING.

I get that the videos are part of a plan to attract a wider audience bla bla bla, but ... what audience? Who's going to the Age for their videos? Most of the journos in them are pretty mundane in front of a camera too. It's like, there's a reason why you work for a NEWSPAPER.

First beer of election day tastes of democracy and preferences.

Hope they had some vegetarian and vegan alternatives at some of those potentially-Green inner-northern metro seats ?

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Not a mention of Chilcot in FYM, what a surprise.

Also wow - NSW has just banned greyhound racing (although it's hard not to be cynical, the main greyhound track is prime real estate that can be sold to developers).

Re: Chilcot - Jez on the right side of history once again. Also, UK Labour now have a membership of approx. 600,000. Up something like 200k since Brexit happened.

There's a byelection in Toowoomba this weekend, occasioned by new LNP Groom member John McVeigh's half-term leapfrog from state politics. The popular (well she was in 2008) former city mayor Di Thorley is standing as an independent, and anecdotally I wonder if the LNP's handpicked candidate - another of those eminently punchable faces they seem to grow in a vat somewhere - isn't looking shaky.

I even got, in addition to two separate 'official' candidate letters, a crafty looking print job that appears to be a long letter in the handwriting of the candidate's wife, complete with a photo of the young sweethearts in their youth. Yeah, they're not feeling sure at all, and so they should not.

I am hoping for an upset. Incidentally any new independent will hold considerable power in the current Queensland parliament.

Last edited:
Re: Chilcot - Jez on the right side of history once again. Also, UK Labour now have a membership of approx. 600,000. Up something like 200k since Brexit happened.

Try as they might to blast him out of the chair, one of the better things about the UK Labour Party is that it is ultimately a matter for the membership.

I even got, in addition to two separate 'official' candidate letters, a crafty looking print job that appears to be a long letter in the handwriting of the candidate's wife, complete with a photo of the young sweethearts in their youth. Yeah, they're not feeling sure at all, and so they should not.

I can hardly think of anything less likely to persuade me to vote for somebody.

I am hoping for an upset. Incidentally any new independent will hold considerable power in the current Queensland parliament.

Because Queensland politics definitely isn't exciting enough already. Haha god I hope this happens.

I nearly thought the letter must have been one of those 'I and my husband make $5000 a day working from home HERE'S HOW' adverts until I saw the name signed at the end.

Back
Top Bottom