5 stars threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zootlesque said:
I have boxers, damnit!!! :mad: I have about 25 boxers in all different colors and designs!!! :rant:

Pics please.

And then we´ll set up a poll and judge your boxers. It will be the next lameass survivor trend.

who are the other people behind the thread ratings in ls? is it random people for each thread so it's just a coincidence or did someone other than chizip do it too? if queen bee wasn't behind this too, why is she being dragged into this again?

i don't like the rating of threads only because before this i've seen it be abused, just on a much smaller scale. as zootlesque mentioned before sometimes you'd have a thread be rated 1 star, and then people would come in and rate it 5 stars and it'd just go back and forth. or vice versa, i've seen threads start with a 5 star rating and mysteriously drop down in their rating, long before chizip started doing this.

i think some of the times they serve their intended purpose, with 5 stars telling people "hey, this is a great thread" and 1 star telling people "this is a shit thread" or perhaps "there's a ton of arguing going on in here" but for the most part, it's a worthless feature to have imo. plus of course, how many people ever rate a thread 2 stars? or 3?

and of course before what happened in pleba, we had a thread suggesting we get rid of the ratings feature, back in july 2005. other people want it gone, not just those who abuse the ratings system. even sicy wants it gone, as she said in the thread in des back in july, and has said in this thread.

ultimately though it is your forum, but i hope you at least consider the other side of the argument. :)

this forum has so many members and is so cliquish that people don't rate a thread based on the thread's content, but rather on who's posting in it.

the ratings are pretty meaningless anyway. there are one-star threads that i love, and five-star threads that i think are shit.

:shrug:

What do you mean they are meaningless?

I only read threads that are rated three stars or higher. :wink:

:up:

Another mod against the thread rating!

KhanadaRhodes said:

i think some of the times they serve their intended purpose, with 5 stars telling people "hey, this is a great thread" and 1 star telling people "this is a shit thread"

I did not realize there was an intended purpose. ;)

And by no means are the rating "scientific" - these are people's personal opinions (much like hitchick said). Zootles could start an OUTSTANDING thread...but if Redkat did not like him - or had a grudge...she could EASILY rate a perfectly good thread one star...and then ask her buddy RedRocks to rate it one star...and now...zootles feelings may be hurt (which I see happening WAY too much).

A lot of people see their threads getting a one star ratings as being "flipped off" - and you know you would not allow a smilie like that!

Someone always rates my threads in Lemonade stand 1 star. I find it kind of cute. They have some kind of attraction to me I guess.

Last edited:
redkat is too good a person to not like Zootlesque, so that won't happen, Zoney! Bad example :wink:

....and "hitchick" :lmao:

lmjhitman said:
this forum has so many members and is so cliquish that people don't rate a thread based on the thread's content, but rather on who's posting in it.

I think this is the broader issue. Some of the longer term members treat new members in a pretty bad fashion and also even treat longer term members that are not part of their cliques in a disrespectful manner. The cliquish thing seems very strong here which personally I find unappealing.

I do wonder at some of the manipulative behavior of some long term members, and how they seemingly get away with it and always end up smelling of roses.

In conclusion I vote for the cessation of the thread rating option.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Yes. In my daily life it is.

Of course not. But I guess that sort of thing happens when you form relationships with people. Especially with people that you actually know.

So essentially that's a 'yes', 'no' and 'maybe' answer:D

for the record, i just want to say that i'm not against cliques.

this forum is just so big, there are so many members who post regularly, it's bound to happen. some people you get along with, some irritate the shit out of you.

i'm just saying that because we don't allow people to rate posters, for good reason, that some people (except chizip :sexywink: ) abuse the thread rating system to do just that. thus the rating is meaningless, because it has nothing to do with the actual thread.

like right now, i'm sure you all want to rate me with one star.

but you caaaaan't!!! :happy:

~ hitchick (hi zooooneeey!!)

financeguy said:
....and also even treat longer term members that are not part of their cliques in a disrespectful manner.

I can address this. A newbie may see this and wonder exactly what you are wondering. But there may also be a LOOOONG history behind it.

Think of it as if you are moving to a new town...there is one or two neighbors that everyone dislikes, and vocalizes it. Unless you were there when these neighbors alienated themselves to everyone else...it is easy to say "boy, they are mean."

Or, as the new neighbor, you come in and you start complaining about the high taxes whihc have always been there or calling for a bloc party when all the neighbors know that little Bobby choked to death on a hot dog at the last attempt - you are going to be a nuisance (much like the thread rating program). The best thing to do as a new person in the neighborhood is to get to know the neighborhood and the relationships before you start running your mouth off (read the FAQs).

side note: Calluna and I rate all of your threads one star, financefella. We both have a crush on you!

what's with the word "clique" though, seriously.

how fucking old are we now.

is it impossible to imagine that the group of people certain others would refer to as my "clique" are simply people i've spent years getting to know and developing friendships with?

i guess i just don't consider the word 'clique' to have as negative a connotation as others might.

i was using it more to refer to what you're talking about, bg, a group of people that you get along with, have fun posting with, have a history with and therefore, enjoy friendships with too. i suppose i just considered the word 'clique' to be synonymous with 'a circle of friends' - which is why i'm not against them.

perhaps it was a poor choice of words on my part.

zoney! said:
The best thing to do as a new person in the neighborhood is to get to know the neighborhood and the relationships before you start running your mouth off (read the FAQs).

I feel like this would scare any newbie away... this is like saying "don't overstep your boundaries" or something. Not the part about reading the FAQs, that I agree with.

Personally, I think this notion of getting to know the "neighborhood" and its "relationships" was an easier feat back when U2 chat was in use. An open chat client featured on the home page where you could talk in real time to an array of fans, as opposed to a chat thread buried in the depths that is Feedback where only a handful of members post. I think that this one fact in particular fosters that "cliqueish" feel on the forum. :shrug: It has infiltrated the lair, haha.

I'm not trying to single you out zoney btw, I could have quoted anyone. It's just that I used to post here a lot, took a couple of years off, and have recently returned. This has allowed me to see the changes around here readily.

Achtung_Bebe said:
I feel like this would scare any newbie away... this is like saying "don't overstep your boundaries" or something.

I think that's exactly what Zoney was implying and I agree with it.
Interference is a community and it has its groups (cliques) and intricate relationships. It is thus advisable to try, at first, not to overstep your boundaries and upset these relationships.
It's like real life, but then on a computer screen.

:nerd:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom