5 - # of Straya threads or # of times Melbourne has been crowned world's best city

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd have told her to ring ASIO with this hot tip but they probably have enough cranks ringing them on a daily basis already.

Remember that "see something, say something" campaign last year? That was funny. I was - one of the presumably many people - tempted to just ring them up and say "yeah ah I can see something so I thought I better say something. A bird just flew past. I can see a tree to my left. Oh look, the footpath."

I'd have told her to ring ASIO with this hot tip but they probably have enough cranks ringing them on a daily basis already.

Remember that "see something, say something" campaign last year? That was funny. I was - one of the presumably many people - tempted to just ring them up and say "yeah ah I can see something so I thought I better say something. A bird just flew past. I can see a tree to my left. Oh look, the footpath."

There are these squirrels outside my window... and they're married...

What's that sound oh yes it's NEW ZEALAND SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDING THE WORLD CUP!!!!

I'M NOT SORRY FOR WAKING YOU UP MELBOURNE.

...I completely forgot that was today. Explains why my tram seemed so much less full than usual and why the streets were astonishingly quiet. I figured it was just because I was going into work earlier than usual and that maybe I had caught a tram that had started short (there's a point just north of my stop where a few morning services begin, to compensate for the fact that most trams that reach us during rush hour are already packed with people from further up the line).

Moot point, because it's not a University holiday so I have meetings and shit today anyway.

I'm not reading all of that, and I get that the kid's an idiot, but I'd tend to agree with the headline anyhow. I remember being 16. Frankly, I remember being 18, and if my ability to vote had been delayed by even a couple more years, the outcome would have been quite different.

I think 16 was the age when I started getting into politics and ideologies, even wrote an essay arguing for social democracy which got me an A. :lol: But overall, I don't think I'd have felt that qualified to vote at that age, even though this topic is worth some discussion.

I did of course vote at 18, and I felt that I made the right decision and most importantly, had a good justification for that decision.

I would have given a strange vote had I been able to participate in the 2004 election when I was 17, one that I am now grateful I do not have to disown.

But in principle I think I give lukewarm support to lowering the voting age.

I helped elect the Howard government in 1996. So...

yeah. (the thing is, at the time, I was no more supportive of the Liberal Party than I am now, but I think I had some childhood hangovers from growing up in the rural regions - and bear in mind this was the decade of National Competition Policy and a long term incumbent government at federal level, and another one under Goss in Queensland, frankly screwing the regions - leading the National Party to receive some wholly unwarranted receptiveness from me. So it was the junior partner who got my vote.)

On the other hand, that was the first and last time.

Last edited:
What I actually think is that Bill Shorten had better find some better thought balloons. It's like he prefers it in opposition. Given the level of political reportage, and general discourse in this country, he's likely to remain there.

Steve Price uses the Paris tragedy to slam ABC for showing Rage, not realising that ABC 24 exists, and subsequently gets slammed by various ABC and SBS personalities. Par for the course for him, really.

I don't think all four ABC channels need to show the same footage, but maybe an alert on the main channel when an important story is breaking to direct viewers to ABC24 wouldn't be a bad idea.

The main channel is now simulcasting ABC24.

Last edited:
5 - # of Straya threads or # of times Melbourne has been crowned world's best...

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/australias-secret-history-as-a-white-utopia-1739916322

Read this and thought of all the Straya people...every Western nation has a super racist past, but my god

Also, TIL that there is a group of trees in Australia that can sting you

Edit: Turns out the same site did an article on my state being a racist utopia: http://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-found...vNEoqg.0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Pretty much, and the society still has long ways to go in accepting and atoning for it.

Here's the suburb that I grew up in. Considering Australia's convict past, you can take one guess as to what happened here...

art_blacktown.jpg

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/australias-secret-history-as-a-white-utopia-1739916322

Read this and thought of all the Straya people...every Western nation has a super racist past, but my god

Also, TIL that there is a group of trees in Australia that can sting you

Edit: Turns out the same site did an article on my state being a racist utopia: http://gizmodo.com/oregon-was-found...vNEoqg.0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

Yup. And today there were racist rallies all over the country.

Reclaim Australia/UPF are fash-sympathising fuckers but I don't think I'm at the point of being that overly concerned about their presence. They deserve to be smashed, but a few hundred people in each major city isn't a great cause for worry.

Far right action is considerably greater in the US/Europe than here at this point and I would imagine it will stay that way indefinitely.

Far right action is considerably greater in the US/Europe than here at this point and I would imagine it will stay that way indefinitely.

How popular are far right parties in Australia? Do they have any real political power with a parliamentary system?

Not a great deal. As far as my knowledge goes they never had a strong foothold political power wise, but with that said the conservative wing of the ruling Liberal party veers close to that mark on some occasions. The best fairly recent example of a far right party gaining influence was One Nation in the '98 federal election when they garnered about 8% of the vote, which is about the same % as what the Greens (centre-left party) get nowadays.

Reclaim Australia/UPF are fash-sympathising fuckers but I don't think I'm at the point of being that overly concerned about their presence. They deserve to be smashed, but a few hundred people in each major city isn't a great cause for worry.

Yes... as much as I loathe the government, if the Reclaim Australia crowd had significant cultural pull, the sort of stuff we're hearing from Cory Bernadi or obscure National Party hacks would be coming from the Prime Minister... not a boutique senator.

Probably a lot of Australians half-sympathise with that sort of fear and loathing; but not, I'd judge, enough to want any part of the skinheads and bovver-boys.

Last edited:
Not a great deal. As far as my knowledge goes they never had a strong foothold political power wise, but with that said the conservative wing of the ruling Liberal party veers close to that mark on some occasions. The best fairly recent example of a far right party gaining influence was One Nation in the '98 federal election when they garnered about 8% of the vote, which is about the same % as what the Greens (centre-left party) get nowadays.

Also, the thing about One Nation in 1998 is that a huge amount of that support came from dismay at the decade-and-a-half deregulation/privatisation/neoliberal agenda. That feeling overlapped in places with general Old-Anglo-Australian resentment, and in other places with straight up batshit crazy (ie. where the One Nation base melts into the League of Rights base). But Eric Butler never got a million votes.

It was John Howard's sick genius to defuse the One Nation bomb with cultural nods and middle class handouts... while continuing the deregulation program (albeit probably at a more leisurely trot than the true believers at The Australian liked).

The great tragedy of our times is that socially progressive politics have become neatly nestled within 'economically progressive' politics (let's call it the Bono Position), leading to the curious phenomena of wealth redistribution (albeit to 'our kind of folk') being as likely to be a goal of populist right movements as of left or centre-left movements.

I call it a tragedy because such calls are easily labelled by the great and good as antediluvian, of a piece with unreconstructed social conservatism. Socially and economically 'progressive' would probably be a fair description of most of Australia's 'quality' media from the 1990s until their recent, and ongoing, slide into oblivion.

Last edited:
Australia's Secret History as a White Utopia

I recently had reason to pick up Control or Colour Bar?, a seminal booklet issued by a small group of University of Melbourne students and staff at the start of the 1960s that really kickstarted a lot of the thinking away from the White Australia Policy. Australia, quite frankly, was quite lucky to avoid becoming a global pariah like Apartheid-era South Africa, because its policies were not that far removed. Almost from the get-go of the colonial era the British government was startled by and unhappy with the attitudes of settlers towards Aboriginals, but by the late 1840s was unwilling to let humanitarian concerns stymie the transition to representative and responsible government.

Australia basically seems to go through waves of having a new group to hate, which then becomes integrated and part of everyday culture as a newer wave overtakes it. Asian migrants are the classic case here. There was so much fear of them in the 1980s and 1990s, but that has long since moved on. Of course, part of that is because Asians have become central to the Australian economy. Depending on the year, higher education is Australia's third or fourth largest export, and the vast majority of our international students come from Asia. Our universities would be essentially crippled if that sweet sweet international student cash dried up.

Now time for your regularly scheduled BARELY RELATED RANT. This article does something that absolutely shits me up the wall, that people do all the time, and I suspect maybe I'm the only person who actually cares (well, me and a few other historians), but the more I can persuade people of this the more funding I can get to do my job.

The country would slowly evolve by the 19th century into a collection of six distinct colonies on the enormous continent of Australia: New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, and the island of Tasmania. The Northern Territory would remain, as it does today, a territory.

Wrong, wrong, WRONG. Australasia evolved into a collection of seven distinct British colonies: New South Wales (including what is today the Australian Capital Territory), Victoria, Queensland, South Australia (including what is today the Northern Territory), Western Australia, and New Zealand. If you told somebody in the 1880s that Australasian federation would be successful but that one colony would not join, they would probably be more likely to guess that Western Australia would stay out, not New Zealand. WA had a comparatively low population, it did not receive responsible government until 1890 (all the others received it during the 1850s), and at least until the gold rushes of the 1890s it had less firm ties with the eastern states than New Zealand, where towns such as Hokitika were in such close communication that they could be described as "practically a suburb of Melbourne". Only in the early 1890s did it become clear New Zealand would not participate in federation and it became a process that culminated in the creation of the Commonwealth of Australia, not Australasia, in 1901. Yet the Tasman world, the Australasian world, did not truly break down until the interwar or even postwar period when the two respective nationalisms had forged more distinctive, separate identities; why do people think we had the Anzacs or joint Olympic teams in the 1900s-1910s?

(Oh, and the article makes a silly comment about Australia becoming a "commonwealth" of the British Empire like Canada and New Zealand. They were actually dominions.)

Anyway that's a totally tangental rant but it irritates me when people try to talk about colonial Australia and forget it was an Australasian world that incorporated New Zealand. Continue.

Back
Top Bottom