5 Must-See Concerts Before You Die!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
From: Five Must-See Concerts Before You Die - Starpulse Entertainment News Blog

Five Must-See Concerts Before You Die

Picture this scenario: you're on your deathbed, all of your finances are in order and amends have been made in every single one of your personal relationships. Something is wrong though; something keeps persistently gnawing at your emotions of regret until you realize that, as a fan of Rock and Roll, there were too many missed opportunities throughout your life. Too many nights, watching concerts from the latest fad, instead of seeing the true greats of arena history. If only you could go back in time, perhaps forgo that night wasted on The Spin Doctors and trade that experience for a night with one of the legends listed below.

Well, there is still time. This is why, call it our moral duty, to present to you the five concerts you need to see before you die.

5. Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam has an interesting history. Once the darlings of the early 1990's grunge scene, Eddie Vedder and company have firmly taken over the reigns of the traveling show that The Grateful Dead and Phish left behind. While many bands from the grunge era faded into obscurity - or worse - Pearl Jam has thrived by reinventing themselves as a live band that attracts fans - or as they are known: The Jamily - that will travel with the band for weeks on end. Esquire magazine labeled Pearl Jam the best live act of 2006. Rolling Stone magazine compared the arena presence of Pearl Jam to stadium legends such as U2, Bruce Springsteen and The Who, high praise indeed.

YouTube - Pearl Jam - Corduroy (live)

4. Paul McCartney

The Beatles are long gone. Only two of the original four members are still alive and only Paul McCartney remains from the legendary songwriting team of Lennon/McCartney. While, obviously, not a Beatles' concert; it is the closest thing to experiencing why the Beatles are considered the greatest band of all time. This - not to mention his excellent work in Wings along with his hit and miss solo work - is the primary reason to attend what is still a spectacular concert.

A Paul McCartney concert is not on the same level, as far as raw emotion, as the other bands mentioned on the list. His ability to recapture the sound of those Beatles classics is worth the price of admission alone, perhaps more so. The Beatles officially stopped touring in 1966 because the music they were producing - for albums such as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Magical Mystery Tour" - was too complex to perform live. This is no longer the case with modern technology. Of course it is not the likes of John Lennon and George Harrison joining him on stage, but a lot of the songs he performs off of the "Sgt. Pepper" album on recent tours was the first time these songs have ever been heard live.

YouTube - Paul McCartney - A Day In The Life [Live at Liverpool, 2008]

3. Led Zeppelin

Arguably the most anticipated concert of this decade was the reunion of Led Zeppelin (with Jason Bonham replacing his late father on drums) on December 10, 2007 for the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert in London. Led Zeppelin, of course, is one of the most legendary rock bands of all time. Before this event - since the death of drummer John Bonham in 1980 - Led Zeppelin, for all intents and purposes, was no more. The group would reunite in some capacity from time to time - including an almost embarrassing performance at Live Aid - for one off charity events, but never for more than a few songs.

The full concert in 2007 - which by all accounts was a master performance - has lead to wide media speculation that a full tour might be in the bands future. Led Zeppelin lead singer Robert Plant (who is touring with Alison Krauss) has denounced these rumors but a fall 2008 tour does not seem to be out of the question. A tour, if it happens, that should not be missed by any fan of these Rock and Roll legends, or Rock and Roll in general.

YouTube - Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven - Live in O2 Arena 2007

2. U2

In the 1990's U2 soared to new heights as a live act, firmly entrenching themselves as the best live band in the world. That is at least until the former - and current king - reclaimed his throne. U2, obviously, always had a strong following, but it was not until the late 1980's - with "The Joshua Tree" tour - that their reputation as a live act blossomed in the United States. This was due, in part, to the success of the "Rattle and Hum" documentary, which let the viewer feel the emotions of what it was like to attend a U2 concert even if they did not get a chance to attend in person.

As mentioned earlier, U2 hit a new level in the early 1990's with the "Zoo TV" tour. Combining their natural energy with an all-out onslaught of video imagery, "Zoo TV" - used to promote the "Achtung Baby" album - went down as one of the most memorable and successful tours of all time. U2 was on top of the world. The only thing that could stop U2 at this point was U2, and they nearly did that with the "PopMart" tour. Though still considered a successful tour, U2 forgot that raw emotion could propel the greatness of a concert more than any elaborate set of lights and rapid-fire media images; in other words - too much.

Thankfully, by the time U2 embarked on the stripped down "Elevation" tour, U2 was back with their most emotionally raw show since "The Joshua Tree" tour. U2 was back and would still be the best live show in the world if not for the man U2 lead singer Bono would introduce before his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 1999 (see number one), to which the same man would return the favor for U2 six years later.

YouTube - Elevation Live at Boston

1. Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band

Rolling Stone magazine recently declared Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band the best live act. This, in itself, is not surprising; Springsteen is well known for having a great live performance throughout the years. The amazing part is Rolling Stone magazine named them the best live act - in the last year!

Springsteen concerts were already a thing of legend by the late 1970's, often transforming into four-hour marathon sessions that would keep the audience energized into the wee hours of the night. In 1984 - for better or worse - everything exploded. With the release of "Born in the U.S.A" Springsteen became a bonafide superstar. Gone were the days of playing clubs, Bruce and the band were not just selling out arenas, they were selling out stadiums without losing the passion that made them famous in the first place.

In late 1989 Bruce parted ways with the E-Street band. He toured in the early 1990's to promote the albums "Lucky Town" and "Human Touch" with a group of studio musicians. The backing band, though talented, never quite clicked with Springsteen, leading this tour to be dubbed "The Other Band" tour by Springsteen fans. After a mid 90's acoustic tour (quite humorously known as the "Shut the F*ck Up Tour," labeled so because of the many times Bruce had to scold the crowd for yelling out requests for his more "hard rocking" material) Bruce reunited the band for good - after a brief reunion in 1995 - for the highly successful 1999-2000 "Reunion Tour."

Fans did not know if this was a permanent reunion, it was. After the events of September 11, 2001, no single artistic response to the attacks was as powerful and moving as "The Rising." Springsteen and the E-Street Band launched a world tour. If the "Reunion Tour" was a trip down memory lane, "The Rising Tour" was a full on Rock 'n' Roll assault, peaking with eleven sold out shows at Giants Stadium in the summer of 2003. U2 kept the throne warm during the 1990's but after "The Rising", Springsteen regained his title of the best live act in the world with authority.

On Springsteen's current tour, "Magic", a new generation has discovered him. Bruce has become a bit of an "indie" darling propelled by endorsements, and joint concert appearances, by groups such as Arcade Fire. Springsteen even admits, in an interview with Spin Magazine last year, he believes this new generation of fans does not judge him - again, for better or worse - on the stigma associated with the success of "Born in the U.S.A." Instead, judging him on the music. Springsteen is now, and forever will be, The Boss.

YouTube - Radio Nowhere

Story by Mike Ryan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, who would be your 5 Must-See? From this list, I only missed Led Zeppelin, and that's because they were planning to tour in 1980, and then Bonham died. I saw Robert Plant back in the 80s and Jimmy Page with the Black Crowes much later, but never Led Zeppelin... :(

Not sure what my list would be :hmm:

Before I die I want to see BB King and Aretha Franklin. Though I've seen the Rolling Stones twice, I've never heard "You Can't Always Get What You Want" live and I'd like to hear that, too. I'd also really like to see Kylie because I know her shows are amazing.

I was thinking about this the other day.

I saw Elton John in concert in Hong Kong a few months ago, and was pondering who else I'd love to see live...

Madonna - I had tickets to see 'The Girlie Show' tour back in 1993 but was too sick to go when she finally got to Brissy.

Paul McCartney - secretly I reckon I'd just absolutely lose my shit if I heard 'Maybe I'm Amazed' live...

Barenaked Ladies - unless I fly to the US or Canada this one will never happen.

Off the top of my head that is about it. I guess the last few years have been good to us Aussie music fans. I got to see the Pet Shop Boys, Rolling Stones and Backstreet Boys (I Want It That Way is masterful pop!) recently - so that took a few names off the list.

I've seen Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Alanis, Garbage, Billy Joel, Kylie Minogue, U2, REM etc etc...

Sigur Rios, John Mellencamp/Sheryl Crow and Def Leppard/Cheap Trick are touring later this year - so they'll be taken care of in short order!

I may have to ponder this further.

I guess I hope to see Darren Hayes live again. Seriously - he is one of the best live performers around.

I always think about this...I've seen most of the artists who were on MY list to see...but there are still a few I need to get to!

I've seen: Paul McCartney (AMAZING), Elton John, Billy Joel, U2, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi...

The people I still really really want to see before they stop touring are Bruce, The Rolling Stones, and Madonna. I'd also like to see The Police and Eric Clapton.

Obviously I've seen a lot more concerts than the ones I listed but those are the people who I consider to be major acts that I can look back on years from now and be able to say that I saw them live.

Artists of note that I've seen live:

U2
Sonic Youth
Flaming Lips
Beck
Arcade Fire
The National
Wilco
Radiohead

No Floyd? lol. What a silly list. A Pink Floyd live show is unlike any other rock show out there.

I'd like to see My Bloody Valentine - in a small venue, please.

Radiohead is a must see - Exit Music live :drool:

1. Return To Forever:
The best concert I have ever seen. You will never see better musicianship. Stanley Clarke is God.

2. Roger Waters:
Saw him live. Just breathtaking.

3. The Dresden Dolls:
Have never seen them live but few artists rock and have as much passion as them.

4. The Cure:
Playing for three hours. Awesome setlists. Multiple encores. A winning combination. :up:

5. Tori Amos:
Tori is pure magic. My one knock on the shows is that certain fans can be incredibly annoying.

Honorable memorable mention: Todd Rundgren, U2 and Coldplay.

5. Tori Amos:
Tori is pure magic. My one knock on the shows is that certain fans can be incredibly annoying.

Ugh, no kidding. I saw her a handful of times, last time I saw her was her Strange Little Girls tour. She always puts on a fascinating show, but oh my GOD, I usually wanted to smack at least half the audience.

Shut UP. You do not need to scream at every other word out of her mouth. We know you love her but she is just a person, not some god from up above come down to enlighten us all with pearls of truth and wisdom.

And shove all those damn fairies up your annoying asses.

:mad:

Okay. I'm glad I got that out of my system. :wink:

Radiohead and U2 live were two of the best experiences of my life. That shit was real, son.

I'd love to see The F'lips, Bruuuce, Wilco, Floyd (at least Waters), and PJ live, too.

Ugh, no kidding. I saw her a handful of times, last time I saw her was her Strange Little Girls tour. She always puts on a fascinating show, but oh my GOD, I usually wanted to smack at least half the audience.

Shut UP. You do not need to scream at every other word out of her mouth. We know you love her but she is just a person, not some god from up above come down to enlighten us all with pearls of truth and wisdom.

And shove all those damn fairies up your annoying asses.

:mad:

Okay. I'm glad I got that out of my system. :wink:

Yeah. I have a lot of pride in how Omaha treats performers or athletes. When Roger Waters came I was so taken with how well he and the band were treated by the audience. The same with Return To Forever. So I felt sick after the Tori Amos concert because the audience was like it was. They and the two drunk lesbians sitting in front of me ruined parts of the show. I was honestly a little relieved when I read that it was common for her audiences.

i would like to see
u2- 1 more time before i die, more than 1 will be fine also
the cure- been a fan for 20 yrs and have never seen them live
utada hikaru- actually i just want to marry her,:love::love::love: but i'll settle for a concert
pearl jam- never seen them
sade- so me and utada can slow dance to a no ordinary love.:heart::heart:

crazy? yes!

I've seen a lot of my "must-see" shows, including:

U2
The Flaming Lips (2x)
R.E.M. (2x)
Amos Lee
Ben Harper
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (2x)
Explosions in the Sky

I would agree with U2, and I'll definitely be seeing them again, probably multiple times. I also agree with Springsteen and the E Street Band. I'd second the Flaming Lips nomination! How could I not? I flew to Oklahoma City for New Year's Eve just to see them. :drool:

My top 5 (excluding u2) would be:

pink floyd
bruce springsteen
neil young
iron maiden
kiss

thankfully i've seen 4 of them, plus waters and gilmour solo. now if only the floyd could reform for one last sha-bang....

From: Five Must-See Concerts Before You Die - Starpulse Entertainment News Blog

Five Must-See Concerts Before You Die

Picture this scenario: you're on your deathbed, all of your finances are in order and amends have been made in every single one of your personal relationships. Something is wrong though; something keeps persistently gnawing at your emotions of regret until you realize that, as a fan of Rock and Roll, there were too many missed opportunities throughout your life. Too many nights, watching concerts from the latest fad, instead of seeing the true greats of arena history. If only you could go back in time, perhaps forgo that night wasted on The Spin Doctors and trade that experience for a night with one of the legends listed below.

Well, there is still time. This is why, call it our moral duty, to present to you the five concerts you need to see before you die.

5. Pearl Jam

4. Paul McCartney

3. Led Zeppelin

2. U2

1. Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band

Story by Mike Ryan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, who would be your 5 Must-See? From this list, I only missed Led Zeppelin, and that's because they were planning to tour in 1980, and then Bonham died. I saw Robert Plant back in the 80s and Jimmy Page with the Black Crowes much later, but never Led Zeppelin... :(

Not sure what my list would be :hmm:
Lets see, I've seen:
#5 Pearl Jam 20 times
#4 McCartney twice
#3 Led Zeppelin zero, but I saw Page & Plant once and Plant solo 5 times
#2 U2 22 times
#1 Bruce & E Street 8 times, plus Bruce solo once and with the "other band" once

My top 5 would be similar, but I'd have to throw The Who in there, probably in place of Macca, and reshuffle the order a bit.

I've seen U2, Bruce, and Paul McCartney and I have to agree with all of those. I would have added Pavarotti before he died (obviously)-I never saw him and I sure wish I did. I don't know who else. I don't shell out money for concerts all that often and there's no one I could really say is a must- I've seen Elton John and Elvis Costello and Tori Amos and others. Maybe YoYo Ma the cellist, I've seen him and it was amazing.

Of the three the must for me would be Bruce and the E Street Band-if you haven't seen him before you die well you just deserve to die :wink:

Seen PJ, U2 and Bruce and would obviously go again for all of them, but while I love Springsteen, U2 are a far superior live act, and not just because of the technology and showmanship. Only one on there left for me is Paul McCartney.

I've seen her 8 or 10 times :reject: and have honestly never had this experience. Each time I saw her you could hear a pin drop throughout each song. I often had The Dancing Girls in front of me, though--you know, the two girls that stand up and dance when everyone else is sitting down. But I get seem to get them at every show. :grumpy: I didn't see any faerie costumes at the last show either, which was a most welcomed change.

I think I've seen just about everyone I really, really want to see. I'd love to see Madonna, but not enough to pay what she asks (unless I had it, of course). I guess at this point it's mostly The Verve.

Each time I saw her you could hear a pin drop throughout each song.

Oh yeah, the first few times I saw her were like that, and it was awesome. Then fans started shrieking at every other line she sang, and screaming at every "hello" she uttered between songs. Blerg.

my tops after u2 would be:

radiohead
wilco
primus (old favorite, and when they tour now they still are great)
flaming lips
beck (beck + flaming lips one of the best shows i've ever seen)

those at top of the list i haven't seen:
zeppelin
pink floyd

Of the list, I've seen U2 and McCartney. Springsteen would've been great, especially his Born in the USA tour. I'm not as into Pearl Jam or Zeppelin.

I'd love to see Pink Floyd, The Police (or just Sting), Coldplay, Van Halen (with Hagar...I know, I know), The Doors (if it was 1971 or so).

I'll be seeing Elton John in September. A big name is actually coming to the sticks to play!

I've seen U2 (8), Neil Young (7), Pearl Jam (5), Grateful Dead (13), The Rolling Stones (2), The Who (1), The Clash (1), R.E.M. (4), Paul McCartney (1), Pink Floyd (1), Tom Petty (1), The Tragically Hip (10), Tom Waits (1), The Replacements (1), Elvis Costello (2), Peter Gabriel (1), Yes (1), Supertramp (3), Genesis (1), Echo and the Bunnymen (1), Bob Dylan (3) , The Stranglers (1), Public Enemy (2) KISS (2) etc. etc. etc.
Regret never having seen Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin or the Byrds for that matter...and let's not forget Bruce Springsteen or Elton John. Even though it would be impossible unless they invent time travel in my lifetime my top 5 would have to be as follows...
1. LOUIS ARMSTRONG
2. BILLIE HOLIDAY
3. MILES DAVIS
4. PORCUPINE TREE
5. KING CRIMSON

Of the artists I have yet to see live:

1. Bruce
2. R.E.M.
3. Tom Petty
4. Milli Vanilli
5. Radiohead

Of the artists I have yet to see live:
4. Milli Vanilli

:shh:

Bought a ticket for Stevie Wonder today, the guy hasn't toured Australia since the 80s or something. Really looking forward to that.

Otherwise.. uh.. hm.. lists are difficult. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom