5 most absurd moments in VMA history

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who else loved it when Lou Reed said "MTV should play more rock"? Judging from the huge cheers he recieved, I guess I'm not alone in this.

I'd be happy if they started playing more than an hour of videos a day. Even if it's nothing but rap and hip-hop, at least they'd be playing VIDEOS.

The idea of a music video channel that doesn't show music videos anymore having an award show for music videos is absurd.

i watched the first hour of it today. it seemed like they were aware of just how bad the miami vmas were and they wanted to go all out this year.

oh, and if the orginal poster wants to read about r kelly's weird song he can do so here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapped_In_The_Closet

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:

They should play more Rock.....they went soft in the early 90's with the Real World....and it's been downhill since :sigh:

And the only rock they play today is enane emo crap *cough*Simple Plan*cough*

Or videos by bands that make you say "...who...?" Like, oh, say, Avenged Sevenfold, who won for Best New Artist In a Video.

To which I say .... who?

Here's an open letter to MTV I found while stumbling on some random blog (after hearing a news story telling of a drop in VMA ratings):

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear MTV Executives, Hosts, and Performers:

Want to know why your channel is going into the toilet? I'll tell you. You are not living up to your name.

MTV. Say it. MTV.

(M)usic (T)ele(V)ision.

DO you understand? Apparently you don't. Look at the history of this channel that you run.

In the 80's the industry was stagnated by poor quality of music in America. We had come from a downward spiral of 70's music that was all about lovey dovey touchy feely singers. There were only a few good bands out there that were any good.

When MTV lauched, People of America started hearing music from a new source that they never heard from commericial radio. Europe. A new sound and, coincidently enough, a new medium to hear AND listen. Finally, new exposure of music we never heard of. The little bands of America finally had a voice to showcase their music without going to a corporate run medium and went to this new company that was desperate for new material. All anyone had to do was videotape their performance and send it in and voila, it will be shown on this new television channel. Big Time Exposure. A new industry was born, and grew very high.

The End of the 80's were the pinacle of the rise of MTV, but there was a problem. Quality was starting to become bad in terms of music. Thus the cycle was to begin again with a downward spiral of this great channel.

The decision was made to improve quality of music and forums. Thus, when the 90's started, quality of music was on the rise. The "grunge" movement help showcase a new type of quality that wasn't introduced to America since the inseption of this channel from Europe. Great music and great videos were made. The best part was that once again the little bands had a say in their exposure.

BUT, like all good things, what can not be controlled by the corporations must be brought down by doing a buy out. MTV was handed over to corporations, because they once again saw their investments in big corporate name bands be pushed aside by these small no fame talented garage bands.

This was a threat to corporations, so how do you alleviate that threat? Take it over and turn it into a cash cow for themselves.

All the great shows: Headbanger's Ball, Yo' MTV Raps, The Grind, MTV Unplugged, MTV Presents Live, etc. all went away because they catered to the unknowns. What took its place? The Real World, Road Rules, Cribs, The Simpsons, The Osbourns, Endless Spring Break shows, that BTW lasted 2 months where in reality actual Spring Break is only for 2 weeks, Punked, Jackass, Steve O', Tom Green, etc.

WHERE DID THE MUSIC GO?

The corporations finally understood. Either abandon the TV market and go to the uncertainty of the World Wide Web, or stay with it and HOCK their products. The problem was music didn't have a lot of products they were selling, thus they dumped music. Big suprise, huh?

NOW look what's going on. A new medium, the internet, has taken over as the new showplace for new music that was even cheaper for small bands to do to get their music across and get more exposure. Just like what MTV was, the internet is.

MTV doesn't know what to do.

Good.

They deserve a long painful death.

Last edited:
MTV is targeted towards a preteen/teenage audience, which they seem to serve very well, if you look at their ratings.

Let's face it. We (read: goutraged internet types who can string together a sentence that doesn't start with:

:heart: :heart: :heart: ~*~*~*oMg!!!!!!111111~*~*~* :heart: :heart: :heart:)

are all too old for them, and they know it. But, rest assured, they have VH1 Classic for all us old timers. :wink:

Melon

In MTV's defense, they do have channels that play 24 hour music videos. But only if your cable company carries them, and even those channels still might not be what people like because the channels are MTV Jams and MTV Hits, and MTV hits plays mostly rap videos, just like MTV jams which is all rap videos. MTV2 in the past few years has started to play more regular shows instead of music videos and it reminds me of the late 90's MTV when MTV started to phase out playing videos all the time.

MTV has made it clear that the most dominant musical genre is RAP. And well, it is.

Back
Top Bottom