5 Greatest rock shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
this is not about shows you've been to, but about what you think are the 5 greatest rock concerts ever... it has nothing to do with attendance, but greatness, life changing, world shaking shows

5 - Oasis, Wembley 2000
- I really don't know if this is the 5th place, but I had nothing else worthwhile. The thing is this: the end of the 90s had 1 megaband emerging: Oasis, and this is the turning point, the climax, the moment to see, behold, and learn. 2 concerts, Wembley stadium, the 1st concert a demostration of rock and roll and great tunes, the 2nd saw Liam drunk and having problems makeing the show... rock and roll alright.
Oasis, in the 00s, hasn't quite make the impact they did in the 90s, and you may see this as a turning point, as the first show was amazing, the 2nd not so much.

4 - U2, Popmart Sarajevo - I thought U2 wouldn't make this list, but I then I remember this show. Something the world saw in awe, something I got to hear on radio here in Chile, made headlines around the world, and had the band at it's worst (or at least Bono, Edge was superb), but the whole nation at it's best. U2 making what it does best... bringing people together and healing them up.

3 - Iron Maiden, Rock In Rio
- have you heard this concert?. have you seen it?... this is what happens when GOOD bands reunite and make things even better. Bruce Dickinson returns, and Iron Maiden embark ina world tour like never before, and Rock in Rio is the climax, with thousands of people jsut making that night maybe the greatest Maiden concert ever. Just go hear Run to the Hills, or one of the best Fear of The Dark version I've heard. You get pumped up just by hearing the crowd

2 - Live Aid
- I let Live 8 out because this one's still more important in the music world eyes (thou L8 accomplished more and had better bands). From the very beggining, with Status Quo, to the world claim for U2, with that showstealer performance by David Bowie of "Heroes", to the recognizion of the greatest band ever in Queen, this concert was unbelievable. Even though Live 8 surpased this, Live Aid still holds itself nicely considering the years.

1- The Rolling Stones, Rio de Janeiro, Feb 2006
- it can't get any bigger than this... 1.500.000 million people... can you imagine that?... can you imagine being at the end of the crowd?... can you imagine even being there?... sure, it was free, but that doesn't bring down that this was not a concert, was a statement that rock and roll exists, and still holds itself, that the rolling stones are one of the biggest groups today and forever.

what do you think?

make you own lists... and please, no Arcade fire references... I won't buy them, I shouldn't, they're still small. I don't want to think of them as "overrated", but this forum is making it hard for me :grumpy:

Last edited:
pepokiss said:

2 - Live Aid
-(thou L8 had better bands).

What? The only thing on L8 that comes close to the original Live Aid event line up was the Pink Floyd reunion.

(I'm not including line up members doing both shows, so U2 and McCartney don't count.)

Ricky Martin at the Bush Inauguration - 2001
smielephantiy2.gif

remarkable how quite a high percentage of concerts with great relevance took place in South America :hmm:

Popmart Sarajevo > any other U2 show. And it does not sound terrible, the band plays like a dream. Only Bono's voice sounds bad.

God Part III said:
Popmart Sarajevo > any other U2 show. And it does not sound terrible, the band plays like a dream. Only Bono's voice sounds bad.

The energy of Sarajevo with an in-form Bono can be found on the best U2 Popmart show (of the ones I've heard, and yes Sarajevo and Santiago are in that group), "Pump it Up George".

In other words, Leeds>Sarajevo

toscano said:

The energy of Sarajevo with an in-form Bono can be found on the best U2 Popmart show (of the ones I've heard, and yes Sarajevo and Santiago are in that group), "Pump it Up George".

In other words, Leeds>Sarajevo

:up:

Oasis and Iron Maiden in this list gives me goosebumps..... :madwife:

U2 in Sarajevo isn't U2's best concert, never!!!! Just the history made it a great concert, but not the concert itself.

I would add Queen, any other U2 concerts....:wink: , The Doors.... what ever....it's impossible to make a top 5 list!!!!

Live aid ( queen)
Red rock's u2
Jimi Hendrix woodstock 1969
The rolling stones hyde park 1969
u2 live aid

vaz02 said:
Live aid ( queen)
Red rock's u2
Jimi Hendrix woodstock 1969
The rolling stones hyde park 1969
u2 live aid

wow ...very good choice you made! I think these could be the best shows. But in the end it' all relative...:shrug:

UberBeaver said:
Woodstock - 1969 edition.

Game over. Opened the eyes to the possibilities of rock concerts as business. Great performances by many and the last gasp of the 60's. MLK & RFK assasinations still fresh, as was the 68 democratic convention. Kent State, Nixon and the Stones at Altamont the exclamation points. :(

Back
Top Bottom