49 Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shika

Acrobat
Has anyone seen this yet? It's opening in Sydney this week, so no spoilers, please! But I'd love to hear what other people think of the series in general. I've watched all of them.

For those that aren't familiar, it began in the UK in the 60's (before I was born!) as 7 Up - a study of a group of 7 year olds taken from VERY different walks of life - and has been followed up every 7 years by the same director/psychologist. Those children are now 49 (hence, 49 Up). It follows the ideology of "give me a boy at 7 and I can show you the man." (Someone kindly remind me who said that - they quote it at the beginning of each film.)

Anyway, thoughts, anyone....? I personally find the whole thing quite moving. It is fascinating seeing the original footage of the children and to see their hopes and dreams either play out or collapse. As a teacher, I see behaviour of all sorts in small children and wonder if it too will have as profound an effect or influence on their future behaviour/decisions/life path as it appears to have had in these films. I can't wait to see 49 Up to see what path they are on now...

I am pretty sure this was on over here in England last year.

It is a fascinating series - it shows how class structure still influences peoples lives. I haven't seen them all - perhaps only the last two or three series but it is great to see the footage from them as kids and comparing it to how they are now.

Have you ever seen a show called Child of Our Time? It is a British show presented by Professor Robert Winston. It is on over here every January they follow a group of kids from different backgrounds every year - it began in 2000 I think. It is slightly different as it looks at the kids from a psychology/developmental standpoint, whereas the 7Up series looks at wider issues but interesting nonetheless.:up:

It's cinema release, Anna, but not mainstream. It starts at Paddington Palace (I think) + Dendy Quays this Thursday. You'd really enjoy it; I can't wait to see the latest one.

shika said:
It's cinema release, Anna, but not mainstream. It starts at Paddington Palace (I think) + Dendy Quays this Thursday. You'd really enjoy it; I can't wait to see the latest one.

Ooh, ok. I thought it was a tv thing :D My plan was to marry Iva Davies when I was younger. Ah, if only someone had documented where I ended up instead.

Nah, really. It does sound incredibly fascinating. Is it going to do the rounds on most indie theatres? I'm wondering what the nearest to me would be. I'll go googling.
:up:

Angela Harlem said:

Ooh, ok. I thought it was a tv thing :D My plan was to marry Iva Davies when I was younger. Ah, if only someone had documented where I ended up instead.

you had plans to marry Iva Davies :ohmy:

he's mine you cant have him :wink:

yes i admit i had a crush on Iva Davies still do

I used to be ashamed of how far I went in my Icehouse interest. I even rang their record company to find out exactly which building in Sydney they filmed Electric Blue on.

Btw, it was the Silknit, just up from Central Station on the right heading to Town Hall.
:shifty:

mmm interesting :hmm:

you now know where you can find me:shifty:

i thought i was the only Icehouse fan left i must be one of the youngest i guess you could blame my mum and dad

any way this show sounds very interesting

Last edited:
Icehouse :love:

I once taped "Electric Blue" back to back on a blank tape and played it CONTINUOUSLY until I drove my family quite insane. :crazy: Did you hear the Triple M interview thing-y with Iva on Saturday morning? It was unreal hearing all the golden oldie tracks. :yes: I had a bit of an A-ha thing happening as well, but who didn't?!

Anyway, back to 49 Up. Wish you lived closer, Anna... it'd be fun to watch this with ya.

Last edited:
:drool: Shik I might have heard it. I bopped along to Nothing Too Serious just the other day. It was either then or on WSFMs Cold 30. I looooove that radio show!

Oh, Rochelle and Michelle, you guys up for seeing Eskimo Joe at Penrith RSL August 10??? PLEASE??????
: begs :

Don't need to beg, baby! It sounds like fun. I'll check the diary and get back to ya. How much the tix, do you know?
PS. I got engaged on the weekend!

Back
Top Bottom