$41 burger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGi

New Yorker
unreal......

NEW YORK (Jan. 10) - And yes, it comes with fries.

A 20-ounce hamburger fashioned from ultra-tender Kobe beef debuted this week at the landmark Old Homestead restaurant. At $41, it is the most expensive hamburger in the city.

It is the first time the 135-year-old steakhouse has ever put a burger on its menu. The restaurant bills it as ``The World's Most Decadent Hamburger.''

``This is not about price,'' restaurant owner Marc Sherry said Friday, when the restaurant sold nearly 200 of the new burgers. ``This is an event.''

The burgers debuted on Tuesday.

Kobe beef, imported from Japan, comes from cattle raised on beer and massaged daily to make the meat soft and succulent.

The burger, which has a piece of herb butter in the middle of each patty, comes on a special roll with exotic mushrooms and microgreens - shredded baby lettuce.

Put away the bottled ketchup. The burger comes with a homemade ketchup, mustard or horseradish sauce.

``And it's served,'' Sherry added, ``with our classic garlic shoestring fries.''

01/10/03 22:33 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

I thought someone had bought a $41 burger on e-bay or something :laugh:

I hate burgers :der:

that is absolutely ridiculous...i mean...eww!

*i don't eat red meat or mushrooms and i'm frugal...so that burger is like a nightmare!!!*

:eyebrow:

and everyone who spends $41 on that "decadent" hunk of ground beef needs to give me some of thier excessive money.

i think all the effort in rasing a cow raised on beer and massaging it daily is ridiculous. In fact, giving a cow beer is silly. Really, who wants a drunk cow? And massaging the cow every day is even weirder. Think: People actually get PAID to do these jobs. Massage cows.....

What the fuck?

I want to know what kind of world we live in where people justify feeding beer to cows, the cattle recieving daily massages so that some overprivileged bufoon can scarf down an inordinate amount of cholesterol, all for the basement bargain price of $41.

Unreal.

I am curious as to why so many people here are so shocked by this.

People, this is New York, as the almighty Perry Farrell once said,

"Nothing's Shocking."

I am sure I have paid close to that for an entree here (which sucks), and the fact that it is Kobe Beef, you know you are going to take a beating in the wallet for ordering it.

Who cares anyway - everyone who is anyone (said with DEEP sarcasm) knows that the best hamberger served in New York City is served at a place called the Corner Bistro.

Corner Bistro is an old bar in the West Villiage and the berger is served on a paper plate and that is all they really serve. it costs about $3.00 and with a Pint of McSorley's Ale, you cannot go wrong...

People, $41 is very cheap for a hamburger!!

Last time I had a hamburger was in Iowa, and they charged me $68.50 for it, and I thought THAT was cheap. Sign me up, NYC.

Mr. Bouloud has upped the ante:

THE Old Homestead has already been dethroned as home to the city's most expensive hamburger.

Superchef Daniel Boulud has just upped the ante with his own whopping $50 burger - knocking the Old Homestead's $41 Kobe Beef number, introduced just last week, off its pricey pedestal.

Boulud's new and improved DB Burger is an even more luxurious version of his $29 original, which held the title of the city's most expensive until Old Homestead set out to trump it.

The new burger, which will be available at Boulud's DB Bistro Moderne starting next week, adds layers of fresh shaved black truffles to the successful formula of ground sirloin and chuck stuffed with fois gras and braised short ribs, and topped with horseradish mayonnaise and tomato on a fresh-baked parmesan bun. It will be served not with fries but with pommes souffles, or crispy potato puffs.

"It's a perfect way to kick off the black truffle season," says Boulud of the fabulously pricey fungus.

The chef says he's already been serving the pricier burger at the special request of some of his highbrow clientele.

Boulud's beef with the Old Homestead burger is its grinding of the imported Kobe. "It's not the way Kobe should be served," he told The Post's Braden Keil. "Kobe should be thinly sliced, not ground.

"Our burgers are made with 20 percent fat. Kobe Beef is probably 45 percent fat."

Boulud achieves the exact 20 percent with a mix of three parts sirloin to one part chuck. "The good thing about the truffle is, it doesn't add any fat to the dish." The burger is first pan-seared, then broiled.

Forty percent of lunch sales at DB are the $29 version minus the fresh truffle.

Boulud warns the new $50 entree might have to go up in price. "If the price of truffles goes up, we'll have to increase the price of our burger," he says.

Black truffles usually retail for $350 to $500 a pound. Boulud says he will serve the uber-burger until the end of the black truffle season. He says the costlier white truffle would not be appropriate with the burger.

"Wow!" said the Old Homestead's Marc Sherry when told of Boulud's whopper. "I eat the DB Burger all the time. I'm going to be there on Monday to try it." Sherry did not say whether he'd raise his price.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Now I have to change my annual plans of of running through Central Park with pigs looking for truffles in my boxer shorts and a clown nose, and go to his restaurant and get the $50.00 burger!!!

ouizy said:
That is exactly what I was thinking.

Now I have to change my annual plans of of running through Central Park with pigs looking for truffles in my boxer shorts and a clown nose, and go to his restaurant and get the $50.00 burger!!!

LMFAO!

I wonder if you are full after a $50 burger....I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom