3:10 to Yuma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I saw the movie today.

Both Bale and Crowe are as strong as they ever were. The action sequences are very good, but I am still trying to decide if I like the story.

It was certainly an entertaining movie, but I couldn't 'buy' the story line near the end. has anyone else seen it?

As posted in the review thread:

3:10 to Yuma - 8/10

Seeing this after Shoot 'Em Up was like getting punched in the gut and throwing up a crappy meal one night, and eating at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse the next.

It was almost the perfect companion piece. Leaving SEU I felt disgusted. Why do people feel the need to create a ridiculous, horrible script as an excuse to film 80 minutes of over-the-top action? Since when has that ever been a legitimate why of creating an action film? 3:10 to Yuma does everything right that Shoot Em Up did wrong (which is just about everything...).

Here, we have a characer-driven narritive, paced expertly, with just the right balance of suspence and action. When the characters aren't shooting at each other, they're quietly examining one another, figuring out the best way to gain or maintain the upper hand. And when they are speaking, it's always carefully crafted dialog that slowly exposes something new about the character's psyche.

Speaking of characters, Ben Wade just might be my favorite Russel Crowe incarnation to date. He's ruthless, sly, and always puts on the facade of a man who knows exactly what's about to happen before anyone else has a clue, even when he doesn't. But he's also a good man, probably the only one of his "posse" with a shred of honor or real respect. This latter quality comes out in every moment Wade shares with Dan, the washed up, broke rancher played to a "t' by the ever-astounding Christian Bale. Dan has lost the respect of his son and his wife, and uses the situation with Wade as a manner of not only solving his financial troubles, but of redeeming himself in the eyes of his family.

The highlights of the film come in these tense and enthralling interactions between our two main characters, as we watch both men evolve and grow in ways we might not have originally expected. This is your classic morality play. Good and Evil are clearly defined, but the manifestations might not be exactly what you expect.

But this isn't just a character-study (though it succeeds moreso as such). Yuma is a classic actioner, and features all the western staples from horse-riding, stage-coach raids, bounty hunters (Peter Fonda in great form), stereotypically brutal Apache Indians, men throwing badges at one another, barns being lit on fire, and your classic pistol dual (though again, it's definitely not what you expect).

So no, there aren't nearly as many bullets fired, or guys shot in this film as there were in Shoot 'Em Up. But for every 1 second of action in Yuma to every 10 seconds of action in Shoot 'Em Up, Yuma delivered quadrouple the excitement and satisfaction. This is how you make a bad-ass action movie, folks. Take note. Because unless you have characters and situations that can truly engage you, the most frantic gunfights in the world aren't going to illicit a single genuine thrill.

All that said, Yuma isn't the perfect film. It isn't even the perfect Western. It plays it a little too close to the traditions here and there, and Mangold doesn't quite deliver the caliber of character or phylosophical depth you'll find in the best period films out there [hopefully we can look forward to The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford later this month for such an experience, along with Richard Deakins' remarkably beautiful cinematography]. Yuma isn't the best-looking film out there, and it isn't quite one of the most riveting action flicks I've ever seen [Hell, it likely won't even be the best Western we see this year, especially if you count No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood], but it's a remarkably successfull film on all fronts, and sure as hell kicked off the fall season with a thunderous bang, and a bang, and a bang, and a bang bang bang...

Dalton said:
I saw the movie today.

Both Bale and Crowe are as strong as they ever were. The action sequences are very good, but I am still trying to decide if I like the story.

It was certainly an entertaining movie, but I couldn't 'buy' the story line near the end. has anyone else seen it?

you and I are 100% in agreement and there are many critics that agree, too

go to the last movie seen

here

Dalton said:
BTW - do you know who goes to see westerns?

Old people.

Out of the 90 people in the theater, I bet no more than 10 were under the age of 60.

What time of day did you go? If it was between 8:00 and 5:00, maybe everybody except the over 60s were at work??

I still want to see it!

I enjoyed about 9/10 of this film, but just didn't buy the motivation of one of the characters at the end of the film. People who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. The director supposedly explained what he was going for, and I can see what he was trying to do, but he could have sold it a little better. The guy's a great actor, but he can't do everything with non-verbals and expressions. A line or two would have helped sell it.

And while I would still recommend it to anyone, it really bugs me when an ending doesn't work.

Also, was that Luke Wilson? What the hell was he doing in there, for like 5 minutes?

I don't think I've ever seen a Western in my entire life (well...I did see The Ox-Bow Incident once when I was about 10), but the previews for this one really make me want to go see it.

the Unforgiven
and
the Proposition, this is not an American Western. it takes place in Australia, but it is a Western just the same

these two films are far superior to this remake of Yuma

I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend mostly because it was filmed here. Just about everyone I know saw or waited on Mr. Crowe (except for me) during the months he was shacked up a couple of miles from where I was living at the time.

my guess, is yes

I don't believe the tabloids

and just because I do not like the way they scripted the last 20 minutes does not mean I did not enjoy the film

there is much to like

I do recommend it.

Dalton said:
Was he a good guy?

Yes. Word is he seemed like a friendly family man.

One friend waited on him frequently in my little village market, and he (my friend) hung out with members of his entourage several times. He called me one night and said Crowe had a dinner reservation so I should come down and hang out, but I was much too cool to do so. :wink:

rcrowe.JPG

Back
Top Bottom