2nd hand smoke - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 03-03-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
An Angel In Devil's Shoes
Local Time: 03:36 PM
2nd hand smoke

normally smoke from cigarettes or cigars doesn't bother me. but within the last year or so i've noticed the person who lives below me smokes. sometimes i really cannot stand it...it's not a real strong smoky smell, but i can tell i'm somewhat sensitive to it. when i walk into more confined areas of my apartment i can really smell it stronger, like in the bathroom or parts of the kitchen. i guess it's something i'll just have to live with since it's in the apartment below me. i don't want to move (at least not yet), so i don't know what else the apartment management could do. i don't always smell it, and thus so far i haven't said anything, but sometimes it's almost enough to make me want to gag. just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with smoke from a neighboring apartment? i've lived in the same apartment for about 10 years, and this is the first time i've noticed the smell of smoke like this.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:53 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Tell your landlord. I'm pretty sure they have a legal obligation to deal with it.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:13 PM   #3
love, blood, life
Local Time: 02:36 PM
If this guy is below you, its most likely the vent systems..if you don't get any help from your manager, I would call the city's public health department - they might be able to help you!

Old 03-04-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 04:36 PM
It sounds like a ventalation issue and more than likely an older building. If this is the case, legally you can't do anything. Just change out your air filters as much as possible and make sure you have air circulating all the time(even in the winter turn your ceiling fans on reverse), this will also cut down on your energy bills.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
An Angel In Devil's Shoes
they always change the air filters here. maintenance does that. i only have one ceiling fan in the bedroom, which i don't think i've ever even had turned on since i've lived here except maybe once lol.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:02 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Write a letter to your landlord. This may be a breach of the "quiet enjoyment" provision of your lease (which also may be codified in your area). Perhaps your landlord could move you to another unit - maybe there is a non-smoking section.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:10 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:36 AM
^good advice, good luck ABEL
It's funny you raise this topic today. Just yesterday I was wondering what effect constantly breathing the smoke from mosquito coils may have. We have to burn them here at this time of year. The smoke from them is thick and smelly. My mother CANNOT be near them.
I gave up smoking ages ago and still cough up...me and my gory details, I'll spare you...but it's not nice. The Premier of Tasmania here in Australia has just had to stand down from office. He has an inoperable lung tumor. He now says he wishes he had listened to the constant requests of his wife to stop smoking. He has a young family and wants to spend his last days with them
Cigar smoke my high school boyfriend's dad smoked them I still get a laugh from Bono's interview on Australian 60 Minutes. The female interviewer was so enthralled by him**flirt flirt** .......until she disappeared in a cloud of his cigar smoke.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:31 AM   #8
The people across the hall smoke pot all day long. The hallway is hotter than hot, and when you open the hallway door you are hit in the face with heat and the stench of old pot smoke. I know for a fact that the landlord knows about it because it's the hallway they use to get to the back. All they've done is open the window at the end of the hall.