25 Years of MTV - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I'm 15 and I think it sucks

Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Rod Stewart? REO Speedwagon? Leo Sayer??

Yikes. I guess the early days of MTV weren't quite as cutting edge as my nostalgic memories.

I'm loving the videos by The Pretenders, however.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
For starters, I don't know how they can continue to call it music television. Where's the music? Do I care about how "pimped out" a celebrity's "ride" is? No. And I don't see how other people can. As for the music itself, I can't remember when last MTV played a video that didn't degrade young women or glorify sex.

Exactly.

Some of the program directors should seriously be ashamed of themselves for pushing such distorted images. And to think, many of these people are probably parents themselves.

As far as the music element of MTV and MuchMusic goes, it's very much become window dressing for these products and images.
It's sad that nobody's captured the real potential of an all-music channel--a place full of rare performances, interviews, and, well, music.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:47 PM
The International Music Feed channel is pretty good. Check it out if you have it.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

Exactly.

Some of the program directors should seriously be ashamed of themselves for pushing such distorted images. And to think, many of these people are probably parents themselves.

As far as the music element of MTV and MuchMusic goes, it's very much become window dressing for these products and images.
It's sad that nobody's captured the real potential of an all-music channel--a place full of rare performances, interviews, and, well, music.
Interesting that you mentioned MuchMusic! I was going to bring them up too. When I arrived in Canada five years ago, MuchMusic and MuchMoreMusic were showing more, well, music. MuchMusic were starting to go downhill at that point, but they still had some pretty cool features. I still remember the great live interview they had with U2 when they played Toronto on the Elevation tour. These days, I can't even be bothered to sit through five minutes of their programming.

As for MuchMoreMusic, they've become the dumping ground for all the reality television shows and silly movies that many people probably don't care for. And the MMM countdown, which used to be good, now shows the exact same bands and artists that receive exposure on MuchMusic. MMM used to air a lot of great live shows by a variety of bands and they almost ALWAYS had music videos running. Now, you've got to get up pretty early to catch any decent videos. I think the cutoff for actual videos is 10 AM in Newfoundland, at which point they move onto reality shows. I could be wrong, though, as it has been a while since I watched MMM.

But anyway, the point is that all of this has happened in the space of five years. MTV is even corrupting music television in other places around the world!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
Rod Stewart? REO Speedwagon? Leo Sayer??

Yikes. I guess the early days of MTV weren't quite as cutting edge as my nostalgic memories.

I'm loving the videos by The Pretenders, however.
Exactly my thoughts after watching the show. To be fair most of those are "promotional videos" dating back as far as 1977 so the quality really picked up after MTV became a force in the music industry.

But amongst the horribly outdated styles, embarrassingly lame music and Rod Stewart's infantile posing--the Pretenders still sound as fresh and original as they did back then. What a great band.

Pete Farndon, James Honeyman Scott. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #52
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by david
I think the music video is a tired art form. I'm much more into just listening to music and buying concert dvds put out by bands I like.
well... I disagree... but I understand why you are saying that.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

i'm 19 & i think it sucks.
word (though I'm 18)

so uh, does anyone here NOT think MTV sucks? anyone? anyone?

I don't think the music video is a tired art form, necessarily, I think it just needs new ideas. It seems every rap video is just a bunch of almost-naked girls grinding on a rapper who generally isn't that attractive (why the double standard? an unattractive female would NEVER make it in the music industry. ever notice how all female artists are very skinny and/or in good shape?), and those are the only videos MTV shows. There are still good and innovative videos being made though, like Crazy (Gnarls Barkley) and Original of the Species.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #54
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

word (though I'm 18)

so uh, does anyone here NOT think MTV sucks? anyone? anyone?

I don't think the music video is a tired art form, necessarily, I think it just needs new ideas. It seems every rap video is just a bunch of almost-naked girls grinding on a rapper who generally isn't that attractive (why the double standard? an unattractive female would NEVER make it in the music industry. ever notice how all female artists are very skinny and/or in good shape?), and those are the only videos MTV shows. There are still good and innovative videos being made though, like Crazy (Gnarls Barkley) and Original of the Species.
If you're a girl in a band you're more viable to make it.

like The Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Stars

but they're too Indietastic for MTV to handle, if they play a song by any of them a mob of teenage girls will demand another episode of "The Hills of the Next Pimped Rides in Laguna Beach."
Old 08-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:47 PM
18 and think it sucks...

I did so enjoy the 20th anniversary and hoped they would do something like it again because it was right around the time I started listening to U2 so I got to see all of their videos...

also the first time I saw sledgehammer quite frightening