25 Years of MTV - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

The worst show in television history is easily "Next", but I get a kick out of its idiocy.
yeah, if you're really bored, those dumb MTV dating shows can almost be entertaining

but really, what the fuck happened to MTV? it had music, really?

MTV is the government, guys. it's trying to control us.

man I used to have this one music channel that was tight. muchmusic? fuse? are either of those channels?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:46 AM
I remember thinking how downhill it had gone when they had their 20th anniversary.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The loss of MTV- or any music television in general- is more concerning when one looks at the future of online media. If you browse through most music search engines, mp3 databases, or the behemoth that is iTunes, you will come across a relatively eclectic mix of genres and artist popularities. Coincidentally, the music range is very similar to that of the original MTV, which provided access to bands and musicians that a lot of folks did not know about. Today, the online exposure is just as empowering to small artists... and digital media, podcasts, and internet streams will probably make television obsolete. At this point in time, I do not know how the music industry and corporate sponsorship will be able to exert control over something as ephemeral and broad as digital media, but collectively, they have always found a way to corrupt the variety of sounds in our listening environment. It's only a matter of decades before the next MTV-like icon undermines the current home of new music... and then the successor will lose its luster too.

Has anyone come out with Internet Killed The Video Star? Or at least Lars Ulrich...

Old 07-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #34
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 07:46 AM
I remember the debut of MTV!!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
The loss of MTV- or any music television in general- is more concerning when one looks at the future of online media. If you browse through most music search engines, mp3 databases, or the behemoth that is iTunes, you will come across a relatively eclectic mix of genres and artist popularities. Coincidentally, the music range is very similar to that of the original MTV, which provided access to bands and musicians that a lot of folks did not know about. Today, the online exposure is just as empowering to small artists... and digital media, podcasts, and internet streams will probably make television obsolete. At this point in time, I do not know how the music industry and corporate sponsorship will be able to exert control over something as ephemeral and broad as digital media, but collectively, they have always found a way to corrupt the variety of sounds in our listening environment. It's only a matter of decades before the next MTV-like icon undermines the current home of new music... and then the successor will lose its luster too.

Has anyone come out with Internet Killed The Video Star? Or at least Lars Ulrich...

Very well put. The death of MTV as it was intended to be is a sad thing. On Youtube there are so many MTV interviews and stuff with U2 but nowadays you don't see that kind of exclusive coverage. I can honestly say I haven't watched more than an hour straight of MTV.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:54 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
MTV is the government, guys. it's trying to control us.

I do have digital cable with VH1 Classic and MTV Hits, but the truth is, I just don't watch much television in general. I went on vacation for three weeks, so I unplugged my television (an old Oklahoma habit of avoiding having your electronics destroyed in a thunderstorm). It was well over a week before I plugged it back in after I got home.

I will say, when I have watched VH1 Classics or MTV Hits, it's alright. I could do without all of the shows glorifying hair metal though.

Speaking of which, that Adam Curry picture is awesome. My friend and I used to run home from school every day and watch Yo! MTV Raps and Hard 30.

I weep for the death of Yo! MTV Raps. I had the t-shirt, the cassette tapes...I loved that show.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:34 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:46 AM
I think the music video is a tired art form. I'm much more into just listening to music and buying concert dvds put out by bands I like.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:41 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
The overall quality of music videos has fallen off the past few years. People like Peter Gabriel, U2, Michael Jackson and so on don't produce the same number of good music videos as they used to. The rest of the music scene doesn't produce very good videos nowadays.
The future lies in IPod's where music videos can be downloaded for free. Since the emergence of cult bands, the concept of promotion has changed. I fear that smaller bands won't get the exposure that thier predecessors had.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:56 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I used to "want my MTV." Did I change or did MTV?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 PM   #40
Refugee

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Eliv8
MTV used to stand for Music TeleVision!
For those of you (us ) that wernt around 25 years ago ...

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the launch of MTV, VH1 Classic will be airing the entire first day of MTV programming. Tune in starting at Midnight on Tuesday, August 1st, and again at 9AM on Saturday, August 5th.

http://www.vh1.com/channels/vh1_classic/channel.jhtml

http://members.tripod.com/retrolisa/videos.html
Old 08-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

MTV has always infuriated those older than its target teenage audience. This thread is apparently no exception.

Oh yeah, and today, 8/1, is MTV's 25th anniversary.

Melon
Old 08-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #42
Refugee

Local Time: 03:46 PM
From what I have seen of MTV's first day airing right now on VH1 CLASSIC, their average selection of video's was like this:

REO Speedwagon, Styx, Rod Stewart, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Rod Stewart, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Rod Stewart, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Rod Stewart etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
MTV has always infuriated those older than its target teenage audience. This thread is apparently no exception.
i'm 19 & i think it sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by david
I think the music video is a tired art form. I'm much more into just listening to music and buying concert dvds put out by bands I like.
i agree.

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
"want my MTV."
Old 08-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

i'm 19 & i think it sucks.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #45