24 The Movie!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
'24' movie will take time
BANFF - A movie based on the Fox series 24 is in the works. But whether it will be shot in real-time is still up for consideration, says the show's Canadian director/producer Jon Cassar.

"The last I heard, the first hour will not be in real-time, but then something big will happen and real time will kick in. It still has to be worked out -- it's at a stage where they need to write it."

Cassar will not predict a storyline for the big screen version of the hugely popular show.

He says the script will likely depend on what's happening on the series prior to the movie coming out.

"It could still be two years from now, so it's far too early to say," he says, adding even if he did know, he wouldn't give it away.

The No. 1 question people ask me is 'what's going to happen next?' My response is always, 'Do you really want to know?' and they always think about it and then say 'no.' "

When 24 debuted in 2001 with its new twist (all the action happens in real time, over 24 hours), viewers instantly took notice and the show climbed to the top of the ratings.

Cassar says he was a little surprised by its instant success. In fact, when he first heard the real-time concept for the show, he recalls thinking, "God, that would be so boring. Who's going to want to watch that?"

The reason I think it worked is because of how it is shot and the scripts. The writers are amazing -- they have been able to come up with yet another bad day for Jack for two years now."

Cassar's style of shooting full scenes without interruption, makes him one of the most sought after producer/directors in the industry, but this wasn't always the case.

In fact, Cassar says he had a difficult time breaking into the industry, especially in Canada.

"Canadian producers need to take more chances."

That's a message Cassar hopes industry insiders attending the Banff World Television Festival this week will take to heart.

"The Canadian producers didn't want to take a chance on me. It was always the Americans who said yes.

"In the States, they take pride in discovering the next big thing -- Canadians just want to take the safe road. It's really unfortunate."

Before 24, Cassar directed several episodes of La Femme Nikita, Mutant X and Sheena: Queen of the Jungle, but it was while working as a camera man on Forever Knight in 1993 when he got his first big break.

"They gave me a chance and gave me my first episode. Once I started working in the U.S., all those same Canadian producers came running. I'm hoping when the next talented guy comes in the door, they'll see it and hire him."

I'm not sure about this...I love the TV show but I don't know how well a movie would do. Especially if they don't stick to the real-time format the entire film, since that's 24's specialty, the thing that makes it unique.

But then again, to get to see Jack Bauer kick some butt on the big screen.... :wink:

:hmm:

I'm undecided on this....I am very fond of Jack Bauer but I was less than impressed with the last season of 24.

If the movie were a prequel I could be persuaded. :yes:

Kind of hard to call it 24 but do it in real time. Perhaps they could call it 2?

Jack Bauer on the GA line at a U2 concert:

"Hey, where's your wristband? WHERE IS YOUR WRISTBAND?!?!?....You, drop that keychain NOW!!!."

Lame, but, the best I could do, sorry.

No spoken words said:
Kind of hard to call it 24 but do it in real time. Perhaps they could call it 2?

Jack Bauer on the GA line at a U2 concert:

"Hey, where's your wristband? WHERE IS YOUR WRISTBAND?!?!?....You, drop that keychain NOW!!!."

Lame, but, the best I could do, sorry.

then, he'd shoot you in the chest, get a hacksaw, cut your head off and bring it in a duffle bag to security to get on the 'in' with them. oh wait, he already did that in season 2, nevermind

but, i do not want 24 in the movies. 24 is what it is because its...well...24...in real time etc.

im sure they could spawn a decent/above average/better than the shit movies out there, but it would make 24 lose some if its magic.

"The writers are amazing -- they have been able to come up with yet another bad day for Jack for two years now."

Yeah, seeing as how it's been on for four seasons. :der:

StlElevation said:
im sure they could spawn a decent/above average/better than the shit movies out there, but it would make 24 lose some if its magic.

Exactly. As much as I love the show, I really don't want them to make a movie.

Prehaps show the movie in 1 hour blocks (real hours, no adds) every Monday or whatever night, and you just get your ticket and stamped every week :)

Back
Top Bottom