24: Day 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
StlElevation said:
henderson wanted to disappear like jack...yeah.

jack wanted to kill him.

henderson tried to escape and then was going to kill jack.

jack, in turn, capped him from point blank. the guy is dead.

If you watch the DVD deleted scenes, Jack shoots Henderson a few more times from a few feet closer. He's dead.

Just finished watching day 6 epi. 1 & 2 all I can say is :shocked:

Loved the subway scene when Jack pushes the bomber out of the train and the bomb goes off. That was awesome.:ohmy:

Muslims protest '24'

CLIFTON, New Jersey (AP) -- Two years ago, Muslim groups protested when the plot of the hit Fox drama '24' cast Islamic terrorists as the villains who launched a stolen nuclear missile in an attack on America.

Now, after a one-year respite during which Russian separatists played the bad guys on the critically acclaimed series, Muslims are back in the evil spotlight. Unlike last time, when agent Jack Bauer saved the day, the terrorists this time have already succeeded in detonating a nuclear bomb in a Los Angeles suburb.

Being portrayed again as the heartless wrongdoers has drawn renewed protests from Muslim groups, including one that had a meeting with Fox executives two years ago over the issue. (Watch why "24" is worrying Muslims)

"The overwhelming impression you get is fear and hatred for Muslims," said Rabiah Ahmed, a spokeswoman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations. She said Thursday she was distressed by this season's premiere. "After watching that show, I was afraid to go to the grocery store because I wasn't sure the person next to me would be able to differentiate between fiction and reality."

She said the group had a conference call Wednesday with Fox executives to protest the current plot line and request more positive portrayals of Muslims on the show, but was not promised anything.

After a January 2005 meeting with CAIR, Fox aired a commercial in which the show's star, Kiefer Sutherland, urged viewers to keep in mind that the show's villains are not representative of all Muslims.

In a written statement issued late Wednesday night, the network said it has not singled out any ethnic or religious group for blame in creating its characters.

"24 is a heightened drama about anti-terrorism," the statement read. "After five seasons, the audience clearly understands this, and realizes that any individual, family, or group (ethnic or otherwise) that engages in violence is not meant to be typical.

"Over the past several seasons, the villains have included shadowy Anglo businessmen, Baltic Europeans, Germans, Russians, Islamic fundamentalists, and even the (Anglo-American) president of the United States," the network said. "The show has made a concerted effort to show ethnic, religious and political groups as multidimensional, and political issues are debated from multiple viewpoints."

The current season began with Muslim terrorists waging an 11-week campaign of suicide bombings across America, culminating in the detonation of a suitcase-sized nuclear bomb in Valencia, California, about 26 miles north of Los Angeles. Estimated death toll: 12,000.

Watching the show's characters talk about detonating a nuclear weapon a few blocks from where she works unnerved Sireen Sawaf, an official with the Los Angeles-based Muslim Public Affairs Council, and a self-described "huge '24' fan."

"It's a great show, and I do realize it's a multidimensional show that portrays extreme situations," she said. "They have gone out of their way to have non-Muslim terror cells.

"But I'm concerned about the image it ingrains in the minds of the American public and the American government, particularly when you have anti-Muslim statements spewing from the mouths of government officials."

Sohail Mohammed, a New Jersey immigration lawyer who represented scores of detainees caught up in the post September 11, 2001 dragnet, watched the episode depicting the nuclear attack with an Associated Press reporter.

"I was shocked," he said. "Somewhere, some lunatic out there watching this will do something to an innocent American Muslim because he believes what he saw on TV."

Engy Abdelkader, a member of the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee from Howell, New Jersey, launched a campaign Wednesday to encourage Muslims offended by the program to complain to Fox.

"I found the portrayal of American Muslims to be pretty horrendous," she said. "It was denigrating from beginning to end. This is one of the most popular programs on television today. It's pretty distressing."

Concerns about Muslims' civil rights, detention of terror suspects in Guantanamo-like holding centers, and stereotyping are given vastly expanded treatment on '24' this year. In one exchange, the show depicts the president's national security adviser challenging the White House chief of staff over the detention of Muslims without criminal charges.

"Right now the American Muslim community is our greatest asset," the security adviser says. "They have provided law enforcement with hundreds of tips, and not a single member of that community has been implicated in these attacks."

"So far," the chief of staff responds.

it's a tv show. somebody's got to be the bad guys.

what about S1 when it was the drazens? S2 when it was oil tycoons? S3 when it was the salazars and then stephen saunders? S5 when it was russians and the freakin president of the united states of america.

just shut up and watch the damn tv show for what it is. (not the poster, but the people in the article.)

People are never satisfied. PC Bullshit. I say for the last season they just use martians that try to destroy america?

True, they haven't really specified as of yet, but it's fairly obvious she has some sort of Middle East background. Of course, that could be anything, so I jumped the gun a bit by saying she was Muslim.

I think its the Americans in 24. Its the Americans in the show that can't be trusted, look at how many were traitors or for the right price turned to the other side. :hmm:

JCOSTER said:
I think its the Americans in 24. Its the Americans in the show that can't be trusted, look at how many were traitors or for the right price turned to the other side. :hmm:

Right.

****potential spolier alert****

I think that shadowy group that was in cahoots with Logan last year is partially responsible for this season's attacks and they will become an integral part of the storyline in future episodes.

In fact, Logan will make an apperance sometime this season.

JCOSTER said:
and Nadia ... she looks a little suspicious to me.:eyebrow:

With the explosion of the nuclear bomb I think they're trying to be more realistic this year in that you can't stop the bad guys all the time.

So with that being said I hope that just this once there will not be a mole in CTU. You'd think that they'd wise up and do extensive background checks on new employees.

Then again, these are the same people who are always doubting Jack even though he's been proven right almost every single time:shrug:

BonoManiac said:

Right.

****potential spolier alert****

I think that shadowy group that was in cahoots with Logan last year is partially responsible for this season's attacks and they will become an integral part of the storyline in future episodes.

In fact, Logan will make an apperance sometime this season.

not really much of a spoiler, you can tell by just the preview for this weeks episode that jack comes face to face with one of the blue tooth group members.

BonoManiac said:
Hey I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with the fan phone. Has anyone tried calling and if so who did you speak with?

I called it a few times when it was first discovered (season 4-ish?). I didn't get to talk to any of the actors since the prop guys usually handled the phone. I once briefly talked to Jon Cassar, though. I think I congratulated him on the show's Emmy nomination that year or something.

Ok, well I haven't seen the previews because I like to be surprised.

Now, who thinks that Graham's son is actually Jack's son? The look on Jack's face when he saw him was telling. That and Graham's conversation with his wife after Jack called him. Something doesn't add up.

Waaaaayyyyyy back in season 1 when Jacks wife Terri was alive they were talking about having been separated and I thought that Jack had an affair and that was why they were separated. :shrug:

JCOSTER said:
Waaaaayyyyyy back in season 1 when Jacks wife Terri was alive they were talking about having been separated and I thought that Jack had an affair and that was why they were separated. :shrug:

I think I remember that too, but it's been awhile since I've seen Day 1. Perhaps I should dust off the dvds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom