2014 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a pretty tense match, Cahill's goal was pretty impressive. But I'm glad we still won. Shame we lost a player in the process thanks to Cahill.

Some people here are saying that Cahill's goal was one of the best goals in WC history. It was very good, but come on?

Yeah Cahills goal is definitely not one of the best of all time. The best I can remember seeing was Ibrahimovic (either 06 or '10, I'm not sure) doing an overhead pseudo rainbow kick thing that was somehow perfectly placed. I'm sure someone remembers it and knows which goal I'm talking about. That's the gold standard for me.

Wow, the second half of Colombia - Ivory Coast was end-to-end stuff. So many great matches this world cup, it's unreal.

Both teams deserved to lose, Uruguay for leaving a concussed player in and England for general suckage.

"Milquetoast" is the best adjective I can come up with to describe the English team in this tournament. I think Costa Rica probably has a strong chance to beat them on Tuesday.

Alright, so if Italy win their next two games, we beat Costa Rica by scoring at least twice and Costa Rica lose by a total of three goals over their matches, England go through.

Fuck.

Alright, so if Italy win their next two games, we beat Costa Rica by scoring at least twice and Costa Rica lose by a total of three goals over their matches, England go through.

Fuck.

Good luck :lmao:

Although I shouldn't laugh too hard, England is the international soccer equivalent to the Toronto Maple Leafs after all.

We have reached the point where I can relax and enjoy the world cup. Very nearly bye bye England.

The first tie breaks are on head-to-head not goal difference, so only an Italy win can keep England alive

The first tie breaks are on head-to-head not goal difference, so only an Italy win can keep England alive

The first part isn't correct -- order of tiebreakers is total goaldiff, then total goals scored, then head-to-head points, then head-to-head goaldiff, then head-to-head goals scored, then coin flips.

The second part is correct though -- if Italy loses, then it's ITA-CRC-ENG-URU 3-6-0-3 with ITA still to play URU, and if Italy and Costa Rica tie, then it's 4-4-0-3.

According to a tweet from ESPN stats and info that I just saw out of the corner of my eye, England has a 3.6% chance of moving forward.

According to a tweet from ESPN stats and info that I just saw out of the corner of my eye, England has a 3.6% chance of moving forward.

50246-soooo-youre-telling-me-theres-P7Ga.jpeg

<3.

Based on the numbers I'm seeing, when I can look, Japan should NOT be tied right now, is this an accurate takeaway?

Against ten men who can't score? Yeah Japan should be winning. Not using their extra man advantage well at all.

Man I would like to see England do well,just once.

If I thought Craig Foster was biased towards the socceroos he's nothing compared to the England commentary who has nothing but praise for England when Rooney equalised saying this is all they needed and now they're gonna score again to win and then suddenly a pin dropped when Suarez finished it off.

I love Fozzy. He is passionate and love reading his yarns. Sat near him on the plane last week to Cuiaba.

Regarding footballers being "soft". When the sport is primarily about controlling the ball with your feet offensively and tackling defensively, of course players are going to go to ground apparently easily. And if you haven't played the sport at an intense level, the immediacy of the pain to the ankle, shin, knee, foot etc is gonna keep you down for a few minutes. Like getting a whack in the balls. You will fully recover in 5 mins, but the immediate impact is agonising.

There are diving cheats in the sport, but no worse than the techniques used by the Selwoods, Lloyds of the AFL, and any player who shamefully contrives "a push in the back".

Anyway, England are on the brink of elimination :D which means that they will no longer be Australia's "second team". Come on Belgium.

Japan, letting our confederation down :(

He is passionate to a fault.

I would argue that the diving in soccer is worse than in the AFL. Plenty of AFL footballers play for free kicks but the frequency and severity isn't as bad. But I'll stop my little crusade now, it's been a great Cup so far, only wish I'd been able to see more of it.

Can't think of many Australians who would have England as their second team..!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom