2014 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I've ever watched an entire game of soccer. 4am here. And I am absolutely gutted. We could have won that. Netherland's goals were so pissweak.

:sigh:

Ya'll boned Spain pretty badly. Allowed the Dutch to win, but kept it close.

Unless Spain absolutely destroys Australia, they're done. And that's assuming they win against Chile (because if they lose that, they're done anyways).

So, I have a question only vaguely related to the Cup.

Why is the Ivory Coast basically the only country whose name seems to be consistently written/pronounced in its original language?

Why is the Ivory Coast basically the only country whose name seems to be consistently written/pronounced in its original language?

I guess you are not watching this on Univision or Telemundo

here on ESPN it is ESP vs CHI not SPA vs CHI

also it seems a little funny to call French an African country's original language.

Bye Bye Tiki-Taka, your day is done.

Oh happy day. And the icing on the cake is that one of the games biggest cheaters had the chance to get them back in the game (Busqets) and missed the type of chance that the average weekend warrior could put away 9 times out of 10.

I guess you are not watching this on Univision or Telemundo

here on ESPN it is ESP vs CHI not SPA vs CHI

also it seems a little funny to call French an African country's original language.

Even on Google, Spain is abbreviated ESP, but when you look at the full names on their app, it's Spain, not Espana.

And that was why I picked Original Language, instead of Native language. When that's probably not even the native name of the country, I find it even stranger that it's written in French.

This curiosity on my part is more aimed towards countries like Germany, Japan, etc. I was staying with a couple from Spain and this conversation popped up, because they also call Japan a variation of Japan in Spanish, rather than by anything remotely similar to what native speakers call it, and I believe the same is true for Germany?

I think its just one of those things, an oddity. It's a bit like everyone saying Bayern Munich in English, no one translates the Bayern to Bavaria or says it all in German as Bayern Munchen.

I'm hoping the USA make the second. Gives us a great chance to progress to the quarters. If we win our group of course. :D

Right.

I mean, Fellaini's fro is pretty awesome, but have you seen Kyle Beckerman? You guys wouldn't stand a chance.

You're forgetting:

The United States, Australia and England

:D

Haha, well, of course, excluding the countries that speak the same language as the country in question :p.

Germany is derived from the ancient group of Germanic tribes which settled all over central Europe, whereas Deutschland, the own name in German (Deutsch) is derived from Regnum Teutonicum. The Teutons were a Germanic tribe which came from mainly Denmark and together with the Kimbern migrated south during a period of starvation.

Looks like the African teams won't get far again. Now that the Spanish are out, I guess we will be kicked out by the Italians once again. But till then, hopefully more such games like against Portugal.

I watched the first half of the Netherlands/Australia match, in some parts it was hard to get through (given my following of AFL) because you can slightly nudge an opponent and give away a free kick, and although it's always been this way I was still nonetheless frustrated.

Kind of glad Australia lost because due to the fawning in the media they got over losing to Chile, if they had drawn it'd have been even more ridiculous. I'm a bit sick of Tim Cahill. Craig Foster shouldn't be allowed to commentate.

I watched the first half of the Netherlands/Australia match, in some parts it was hard to get through (given my following of AFL) because you can slightly nudge an opponent and give away a free kick, and although it's always been this way I was still nonetheless frustrated.

Kind of glad Australia lost because due to the fawning in the media they got over losing to Chile, if they had drawn it'd have been even more ridiculous. I'm a bit sick of Tim Cahill. Craig Foster shouldn't be allowed to commentate.

Surprisingly I feel the exact opposite. We know that the softness is part and parcel of soccer, but once you get past that... I was utterly enthralled by last night's game, absolutely loved it.

How can you be sick of Cahill? He's an absolute superstar and I'm gutted he won't be playing against Spain (has that always been a rule btw? Two yellows and you miss the next game? What a load of crap).

Totally agree on Craig Foster though. He is an absolute tosser.

How can you be sick of Cahill? He's an absolute superstar and I'm gutted he won't be playing against Spain (has that always been a rule btw? Two yellows and you miss the next game? What a load of crap).

Totally agree on Craig Foster though. He is an absolute tosser.

Two yellows has pretty much always been a rule, yeah, for as long as I can remember at least.

I think Foster spent most of the time talking up each Australian player as a superstar, there was a moment in the 1st half when a Dutch defender was taken off injured and he said something like 'well he should've expected that to come' in regards to the tackle. And his vendetta against the AFL is pretty sad, too.

Barely three minutes in and already a Dutch player has dived. Pathetic.
Luckily Australia made up for that by crashing to the ground every time a player was inside the 16 during the last 10 minutes of the game.

Personally I felt Australia deserved a draw.
Then again, they didn't deserve that penalty and Cahill did deserve to be sent off for that challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom