2012 AFL Thread V - Planning Our End of Season Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not complaining about Trigg's/Harper's/Reid's punishments since they made this mess and if anything this is a positive for us.

Kurt's statement:

I trusted the Adelaide Football Club and for the duration of my contract I did my utmost for the Club on and off the field. It is bitterly disappointing, then, to learn that my trust and best endeavours have been to my substantial detriment.

Only during the recent AFL trade period did I learn that some terms in the Adelaide offer may have contravened AFL rules, and since that point I and all parties associated with me have co-operated fully with the AFL in its investigations.

I have nothing to hide and have only refrained from media comment in recent weeks on legal advice and out of respect for the AFL investigation process. Through my legal representative I asked for an open hearing today in the hope that the truth would be revealed.

I pleaded guilty to the two charges on advice without any admission of liability and despite being assured there were valid defences available to me in respect to both charges. It is very important to me that I concentrate on preparing for next season and remove all distractions from my preparation.

I am glad that this matter is now finalised and I look forward to moving on and playing football.

No way he wrote that statement himself.

I assume he got daddy to write it for him.

Lovett-Murray given a contract-extension for Essendon. Continuing their policy of persevering with average footballers based on their race. Bottom half of the table next year.

I was kind of hoping the price for Goddard would squeeze Lovett-Murray out of the salary cap, but hey, if there's still room in the cap, I guess he's more back-up if we cop another run of injuries ... even if he is close to useless much of the time.

Will be hilarious if/when Tippett fails to perform to even half his supposed worth next year considering his inability to score against teams with good defences if at all.

Oh man, come second half of next season, I can't wait for your posts about Tippett, Vlad. :lol:

I'm not even taking the piss out of you. I'm actually expecting some laughs.

Eric Wallace has just become an international rookie for North. Former College basketballer. Hope he makes it... would love to see some of that African-American swagger in our game.

Also Adrian Anderson quit!

I really hate to post this here, because I really hate Vlad n U 2, but it was pretty funny.

382099_321469364634339_2096246204_n.jpg

I drove through Collingwood today. Even though the Westpac centre is worth more than the entire suburb, I still find myself saying "I could not live here" because of the football team.

The suburb has some of my favourite pubs, restaurants, and live music venues. I still feel dirty every time I say I'm going to Collingwood because of the footy team.

Incidentally, I saw a guy at a beach in Waipu, New Zealand wearing a Collingwood jersey. I wasn't sure whether to go "oh cool, an Aussie Rules fan", yell "CARN THE BOMBERS!", or shit on his feet.

I honestly see no problem with the article, but perhaps that has something to do with the fact that, given I could have known it was possible for me to play in the AFL and not be denied place in local footy teams, I would have trained a lot harder to be a footy player when I was younger. I loved it more than just about anything. Maybe that sounds like stupid idealism, and I'm not saying we should open the floodgates, but I think that outside perspectives can be useful regardless of the ignorance of the source, and I don't think that article deserves just to be scoffed at.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not demeaning women's sport at all, I just think this is the wrong way to go about it. I've seen VWFL games (highest level a female footballer can currently play in this country) and while many players have talent, none of them could match it in the AFL. And it creates more problems than it solves - what happens if a woman is streaming into goal and she is absolutely belted, brought down in a big tackle? Gets knocked out? And what male player is going to feel comfortable doing that?

What we should be doing is promoting women's sport more - tipping more money into it, increasing media coverage, get a national women's league started. Surely a national competition showcasing the talents of women is going to be much better than say the AFL making a disingenuous rule like all clubs having to have two women on their list or something.

The inequality is in the lack of respect given to women's sport.

How many women are going to out-body Buddy Franklin? It's not fair on anyone. Much better to bump up support an existing women's comp.

Remember there was that woman golfer who was insanely good and competed in the men's PGA? I don't recall her name now. But it seems to me that if a woman is good enough to compete in the men's competitions, the argument is worth discussing, especially when it comes to sports that are more low-contact. The cricket example in that article really isn't bad.

(Though I must admit, if I were an elite female sportswoman dominating the women's tournaments, I'd have a hard time moving from certain victory in women's leagues into the men's leagues, where the top men - if only by virtue of all the greater money and support they've received over the years - are probably streets ahead and you're unlikely to win much of anything.)

People have been saying for years that more money needs to be pumped into women's sports. It still hasn't happened. And to be honest, the one time I watched an international women's cricket game, it wasn't very good viewing. The talent was there, but the lack of money meant a lot of it was going to waste. It's a vicious cycle. You need lots of viewers to get money, but without money you don't have a strong enough product to attract lots of viewers.

It's a vicious cycle. You need lots of viewers to get money, but without money you don't have a strong enough product to attract lots of viewers.

This is a big part of the problem.

The cricket example is not so bad but you would still have a woman playing with against 11 men - is Jimmy Anderson going to bowl a bouncer?

I'd have absolutely no issue with mixing gender in golf though. No-brainer. It's essentially a solo sport.

You say that as if there aren't vicious bouncers in women's cricket.

Bonnie I hope I haven't caused you any offence. This is a hard thing to get across without sounding like a misogynist. But there's plenty of women who agree with me too - it caused a storm on Twitter yesterday. Check out Cheryl Critchley's page for one example - and she is extremely passionate about women's footy, much more so than I am.

I feel like I'm straddling the fence when it comes to the article. I just cannot see mixed sex rugby teams, for instance, but the argument seems potentially tenable for cricket, and the artificial sex divide that says "basketball for men, netball for women" is stupid. (For the record, I actually like netball more.)

And track and field events in the Olympics do seem to indicate that for some events, there is a quite genuine sex divide. Putting male and female shotputters, for instance, into the one event would be a recipe for disaster. No female shotputter would ever win a medal again.

Back
Top Bottom