2012 AFL Thread V - Planning Our End of Season Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just wish there were a way for each team to simply play each other team twice without having to go to a 34 week season (make that 38 including finals).

... actually, I'd rather enjoy a 38 week season. Let's do it.

The Draw has always been complicated, a lot more so with Gold Coast and the Jeedubblyooesses joining the league.

I don't think it is all that essential for the traditional "rivalries" to be played twice in this day and age.

Collingwood and Essendon have their massive Anzac Day game, but the second match of the season often seems like a bit of a non-event. Interstate Derbies are worth preserving twice though.

I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually revert back to an 18 round season at some stage, once a 19th team is introduced. The AFL have been threatening to shorten this season (and the match lengths) for years.

Carlton's draw is an emotional rollercoaster. 4-5 tough ones in a row, then 4-5 easy ones, then 5 tough ones with a bye in the middle, and then it actually stays fairly reasonable to the end. Other thoughts: Freo and Adelaide at home, Sydney and West Coast away. Looks fairly balanced to me, no huge complaints.

Oh and Richmond to open. Durr

Apparently the crowd was close to 10,000. Impressive for what has got to be a dud of an exhibition match fixture.

The worst thing is the media can sprout off as much as they like and the club is unable to actually defend itself until Monday. It's not really a level playing field.

Plus, knowing the AFL, they'll be willing to put the foot down as hard as possible on us in comparison to other clubs.

Of course. I just think we've drafted well re: our upcoming needs, especially in defence (what the FUCK are we going to do when Fletch retires?). Hopefully at least a couple of the draftees turn out to be decent. I'm naturally excited about Daniher's potential too.

Joe Daniher will be a superstar.

LM I interviewed one of your recruits Tom Temay this morning, met his family. All great people. Hope he does well.

Yeah great bloke. Backstage at Queenscliff Festival. Mate interviewed him. First time I saw them live, his voice is brilliant!!!

Now I can add Port to the list of clubs I hate, graduating there from the list of clubs I pity.

Ehh...

Caro has copped a lot of shit for it on social media today. I have seen some truly disgusting tweets.

I am not her biggest fan. I think she is sensationalist. I think she is negative. Her style puts me off.

But I have a lot of respect for her. She's incredibly good at what she does. She knows more about football than most men in this country, particularly the ones who say "she shud get bak in the kichen".

This latest one, I don't like much. Would really like to have seen it when she had something more substantive to go with. Nathan Buckley tweeted "still waiting for your call... don't presume to speak for the Collingwood footy club".

Yeah, I was really interested in your thoughts. I've found her a bit sensationalist in the past - not necessarily negatively, just in her tendency to hype the hell out of a story that's really pretty mundane - and this article to me played into that. I feel like she had a decent story that she took too far. It's an over-the-top, abrupt sort of demand that could have been toned down and rephrased into something more open to discussion. As it is, it just reads like shit-stirring. "Oooh yeah let's get a rise out of Collingwood! That'll get us pageviews!" Probably did too.

Spot on. (I didn't see this earlier today.) That's what I mean about her being negative - she went over-the-top, abrupt and started throwing accusations and demands and it's sensationalist. She doesn't win herself fans.

I mean if there was one player in the AFL I'd pick to be heavily into drugs it'd be Dane Swan - my theory is he's playing AFL until he earns enough money to comfortably piss it away in his early 30s - but just not sure the story had to be written as such.

Everything went better than expected.

The only thing really irking me is the loss of the draft picks for 2013.

Tippett suspended for an entire season LOL. Serves the fucker and his manager right.

EDIT: Only misses preseason + first 11 matches

Back
Top Bottom