2012 AFL Thread V - Planning Our End of Season Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why? I'm fucking stoked footy is back. Thinking about going to my first game in ages on Monday, provided I'm not too hungover from the night before. Which is a likely possibility.

It's just the excessive annual tinkering of the rules that's starting to grate on me.

If you don't pay attention to it, you barely notice it. Before Friday's game, I either didn't know or had forgotten about any rule changes. Just wasn't on my mind. The only one I noticed was the sliding thing that gave us a goal and pissed off Sanderson. Were there any other changes?

Don't take me the wrong way, I definitely agree that there has been too much tinkering over recent years and too little willingness to just let things be, but at the same time I really think people make too much of it and I don't know how relatively minor rule changes can sap anyone's enthusiasm. It's not as if the nature of the sport itself has changed.

(Now if they go ahead with that dumb idea of shortening quarters, you won't hear the end of it from me.)

Also it won't be the footy thread without some Epic Vlad Reactions. :(

The sliding rule is a joke.

I think what frustrates everybody is that the AFL makes the changes without consulting the clubs or the fans.

I'd just like the game to be left alone for at least a couple of years.

That and after Friday night's result I'm not excited at all about any upcoming matches, to the point that I think we'll lose to Brisbane but I'm not even sure I want to watch that either.

The sliding rule is a joke.

I think what frustrates everybody is that the AFL makes the changes without consulting the clubs or the fans.

Agreed completely. What will it take to get rid of Demetriou?

I don't entirely hate the sliding rule, because as it was last year, players were totally milking soft or unintentional contact for penalties. The new rule may not be the best solution though.

Unrelated, but just saw this: Suburban grounds in vogue

Uh... isn't Punt Road right next to the MCG? What the hell is the point of redeveloping that?

Bringing back Princes Park has always struck me a good idea though, and I don't know what they mean about poor transport links - it's got very good tram and road access, and the railway isn't far.

Don't know why the article suggests Arden St as an outside possibility. It's a dump and it has horrendous transport links.

Wish we could bring back Windy Hill since it has great train and tram links, but the road situation is impossible and we're buggering off from there anyway (let it be said now I hate the idea of the team leaving Windy Hill for Tulla).

I was just coming here to post that. :up: Punt Rd is literally right next to the G. It's in continual redevelopment but I doubt we'll ever see footy there again.

Princes Park should definitely come back as a venue however. The parking situation is very poor but obviously the 19 drops you off right out the front.

Windy Hill has no parking and they'd have to do some serious redevelopment to get decent seating in there. Plus it's a very tightly packed area with the houses and other sporting clubs literally a kick away.

And whilst it's in the middle of nowhere Casey Fields could definitely host low-drawing matches in the future.

Also I'm writing a story on Fitzroy - they actually never stopped existing, even after the AFL booted them out. They're celebrating their fifth year in the VAFA this season. Only sad thing is the state of Brunswick St Oval surface is very ordinary and they don't have any clubrooms at the moment. But I can't wait to write it. A lot of people still very upset about the way they were dealt with. Many Fitzroy fans denounced footy.

Pretty sure the infrastructure in the general MCG/Rod Laver/AAMI Park area couldn't handle another stadium in the system. It already struggles when there are multiple events on at once.

Princes Park would be really easy to implement good public transport. It's so close to the CBD and the 19 has a clean run straight into the city - it's separated from cars essentially the whole way (aside from a couple of stupid right hand turn lanes on Royal Parade). If you were only aiming for crowds of 20,000-25,000, it would be very easy to get them out, and for those who drive, the stadium's very close to Alexandra Parade and the Eastern, and to the Brunswick Road ramps for Citylink. I was under the impression parking wouldn't be too bad if they used some of the surrounding parkland?

Yeah, Windy Hill's gone. Traffic around that part of Essendon can be a shocker even outside of peak, never mind during peak. Throwing footy into the mix would make it horrid. It's a shame to waste a ground with tram and train literally right beside it, but there's really no way to fix the roads and that area's so residential that the situation's not changing. I think the council's pleased that the Bombers will soon be off to Tullamarine.

I don't know Casey Fields at all. I'm not even entirely sure WHERE it is!

And isn't the Doggies' home ground right next to the Sunbury line? I've heard it's been fairly well torn down though, and I've no idea what the surrounding area or roads are like.

If they used some of the surrounding parkland parking would be fine. I'm sure if it was to become an AFL venue again they'd build more.

Casey Fields is just outside of Cranbourne. But it's literally the only thing in the middle of empty paddocks.

There's only one grandstand left at Whitten Oval, yes. You can see pretty much the entire oval from the adjacent roads. I think it's closest to West Footscray station.

The AFaiL and the clubs really didn't think the transition from suburban football to the current two-sizes-fits-all arrangement well enough... And serves them right for being so gung ho about getting rid of the old stadiums.

Princes Park might've been good had Carlton not knocked down a perfectly good stand in favour of a precious training facility... No good now.

Punt Road is too hemmed in, especially with the recent surface expansion.

Western Oval, Vic Park are probably the best existing options, but this could all have been handled better back in the 90's.

Down 30 points before half time of round 1?

Really can't seem to muster up any enthusiasm for this season now. I mean, the rules and everything, they're pretty fucked up. It's just not the same.

This season is all topsy-turvy already
I saw the first 15 minutes of this game, became convinced it'd be a Carlton thrashing. Turned over to watch another show. Turned back at the end of the show and BAM RICHMOND WHERE DID THIS EVEN COME FROM

Down 30 points before half time of round 1?

Really can't seem to muster up any enthusiasm for this season now. I mean, the rules and everything, they're pretty fucked up and all that. It's just not the same.

Oh come on.

(Am I wrong in thinking you took another dig at me here?)

As far as constructive criticism goes, there really isn't much to offer. A completely lifeless performance so far, the Tiger's press is scaring the shit out of the Carlton players. They've been hideous at clearances, hideous with their accuracy, and marks have been equally hideous. There was this one high, slow as hell kick that somehow bounced off Henderson's chest just before halftime...it had his name written on it the entire time but wasn't enough. Just a laughable effort all around.

Now we see what Malthouse is made of as a motivator and game manager.

A couple of unnecessary penalties ruined the momentum. I really like that we're fighting back though.

Back within two goals!!! Even if we lose, what a fantastic effort. If only we hadn't gifted a couple goals to Richmond at the end of the 3rd...

Shit! Fuck!

We'll be back! Holy shit, what a fantastic game of footy! Gonna be a great year if we keep playing like we did in the second half.

who fucken tipped the Tiges YES I TIPPED THE TIGES

CARN RICHMOMND CARN

was at the pub and this was the most exciting game i've not wartched.

Absolute disgrace Richmond for blowing that lead to a side who looked substandard.

Griffiths was no match for Hampson, and this is one area where the game was almost lost. Will be better when we have Grimes back.

Hopefully we can consolidate on this fortunate win with more wins over St Kilda and Footscray in the next two weeks.

Bring on Collingwood, seriously. Wiping them out after that brilliant comeback would be a sweet way to start the season even if we only come away with 4 points from two matches.

After last season, I'm more interested in seeing how the team sustains its success all year. April premiers are worthless.

Back
Top Bottom