2012 AFL Thread IV - Where Fremantle win the Grand Final between Hawthorn & Sydney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blame the unfortunate bounce of the ball for Milne!

Ross is one of the best five coaches in the league in my thinking. Just give him some time to make this team his own and Fremantle can win a flag or two. Depends on how good the other teams in the league are.

I reckon Not Ross Lyon would've, y'know, had them in a position where they would've won with breathing space rather than copping a draw. Maybe it's just that I hate his style of play. I just think it shackled the Saints a bit.

Plus he's a fucking coward for the way he went to Freo. Not that this has anything to do with the 2010 premiership. Just, fuck Ross Lyon.

j12b9d.jpg

What's that sound I just heard?

Oh, it's only Carlton's premiership window slamming shut.

I rarely agree with sackings (I wholeheartedly wish Demons 30 years of mediocrity after sacking Bailey), but I think Ratten's time was up. He seemed quite one dimensional as a coach, and one of those who kind of fell into the job (like Primus). Carlton have a talented squad assembled, and yes they have had their injuries, but that talent isn't being exploited to it's full potential. There never seems to be much plan or purpose, more just an excessive reliance on the talent of the players alone.

Would be great to see Malthouse back!!

Josh Fraser retired too! Yay! A painfully average ruckman. Credit to Collingwood for going on to become a successful team without relying too much on a top draft pick. If ever there was a strong case against tanking for picks, Josh Fraser was it!

Good point Inte. I think Ratts time was up, but I'm a bit annoyed at Carlton for at least holding off on this until after the weekend. They could have said it was his last game in house and then announced to the media after the game if they wanted.

Josh was great from about 2002-2005 (maybe he was all we had at the time) then he just fell away and was never the same player. Glad he at least got 200 games at the Pies and then a season and a bit elsewhere.

Two things good coaches do:

1. Get their players in the proper mindset to play each week.
2. Make proper adjustments in the middle of each match.

Ratten did neither. Some weeks, we would appear completely lifeless, and others we would look like a premiership lock. In those matches where we struggled early, we seldom recovered.

:wave: So long, Ratten. We can do better.

I'm more opposed to Carlton possibly hiring Malthouse than I am to Ratten's sacking. I feel like Ratten should've been allowed to see out his contract, but whatever; it was obvious from before the season what the club expected and he didn't deliver even close to it. But Malthouse? What, is Carlton going to be his retirement home rather than Channel 7? I'd have thought the best thing for Carlton would be a coach who's got some experience but is still young enough to be really hungry, not an old guy who's been sitting around in the media for a year longing for his glory days.

Hopefully they end up signing somebody else.

... I hear Primus needs a new job. :wink:

I think they need to overhaul their list a bit before their coach. But anyway what's done is done. That Levi Casboult kid looks like he'll be a good pickup. I'd nearly say pursue with him, but maybe he and Cloke can be the Blues Dawes and Cloke (2010 form) for 2013.

Axver said:
Never fathomed why he's such a big deal. I wouldn't have even noticed him if it weren't for the way the media loves to harp on about how good he apparently is.

He might be overrated just by the fact that he's talked about so often, but he is absolute superstar. Two Brownlows speak for that.

I just never notice him doing much of significance during games. Sorry.

I can see why Judd may be overrated in that some still act like he has the same control over games as he did a few years ago. He doesn't. He can still play an absolute blinder, of course, but he isn't outright the best player in the competition as he once was. That said, he's still great.

I don't think there is any real reason. A lot of websites do that every year.

I guess if two people are tied on the same tips the margins can then be decided at the end to keep things interesting? :shrug:

I can see why Judd may be overrated in that some still act like he has the same control over games as he did a few years ago. He doesn't. He can still play an absolute blinder, of course, but he isn't outright the best player in the competition as he once was. That said, he's still great.

We're shittier without him, no doubt.

Though he clearly wasn't enough to get us over Gold Coast who are, you know, insanely good and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom