2011 MLB Thread - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LuckyNumber7 said:
No no, I'm saying that your ability to obtain the talent of an FA pool is directly related to the amount of money you have to spend.

So ideally speaking if you had infinite money you could buy all of the needed talent that was in the pool (but I'll correct myself, talent itself is not infinite).

I misunderstood you. I can agree with this.

Are you suggesting they haven't done this before? It's pretty much the whole reason they suck so much now, and it didn't even get us close to the series.

Yeah, I was wondering if that post was a joke or something. Meant to ask him, but forgot.

I really couldn't believe Hendry lasted as long as he did after it became so clear what a trainwreck nearly every one of those aquisitions were.

As far as 2003 goes... Beckett was a Marlin product, Burnett was a Marlin product, Penny was a Marlin product, Willis was a Marlin product, Castillo was a Marlin product, Gonzalez was a Marlin product, Jeff Conine was a Marlin product, Cabrera was a Marlin product, Castro, Redmond...

For the record, and this is pretty minor, but Conine was not a Marlins product.

For the record, and this is pretty minor, but Conine was not a Marlins product.

Conine was an addition during the 1993 expansion draft. He played a total of 37 games with the Kansas City Royals and didn't make the team. He was a rookie with the Florida Marlins (and if I recall correctly, almost won the Rookie of the Year Award).

I think that's enough to call him a product of the Marlins. They made Jeff Conine. He wasn't established or even relevant in the MLB previous to being a Florida Marlin.

Conine was an addition during the 1993 expansion draft. He played a total of 37 games with the Kansas City Royals and didn't make the team. He was a rookie with the Florida Marlins (and if I recall correctly, almost won the Rookie of the Year Award).

I think that's enough to call him a product of the Marlins. They made Jeff Conine. He wasn't established or even relevant in the MLB previous to being a Florida Marlin.

He was with the Royals organization for 6 years before Florida. Also, Hanley Ramirez is not a product of the Marlins. He spent 6 years in the Boston Red Sox organization. Likewise, Justin Smoak is not a product of the Seattle Mariners, Brett Lawrie is not a product of the Toronto Blue Jays, Alcides Escobar is not a product of the Kansas City Royals.

What's your point? Yeah, he isn't a product of a Florida Marlin farm system, but he still realistically never played for another team. It's not like they dumped a bunch of assets to acquire Jeff Conine... he was a player left unprotected in an expansion draft and played a rookie season with his new team. Development indeed includes your first few years in the MLB; it's not just sitting in the minors and all of the sudden you're an MLB pro.

The Marlins (and Jeff Conine) made Jeff Conine. If that much isn't true, then the Marlins should go about taking credit for guys like Adrian Gonzalez.

The Marlins (and Jeff Conine) made Jeff Conine. If that much isn't true, then the Marlins should go about taking credit for guys like Adrian Gonzalez.

Um, they do deserve some of the credit. He was a number 1 overall draft pick by the Marlins. So why should they not get some credit? Anyway, Jeff Conine is not a product of the Marlins. He was a gift to the Marlins from the Royals.

If the Royals really wanted Jeff Conine, they would've protected him in an expansion draft. He was the least relevant player on their 40-man roster. They clearly didn't see enough in him to protect him. The Marlins made Jeff Conine. The Marlins did not acquire an all-star ready Jeff Conine from the Royals. They got a no-name player and he became what he was as a Marlin.

There's no evidence to support the idea that Adrian Gonzalez would've been who he is today had the Marlins held onto him. The same applies to every player in a similar situation. The most important part of a player's development comes in their transition into the major leagues.

If the Royals really wanted Jeff Conine, they would've protected him in an expansion draft. He was the least relevant player on their 40-man roster. They clearly didn't see enough in him to protect him. The Marlins made Jeff Conine. The Marlins did not acquire an all-star ready Jeff Conine from the Royals. They got a no-name player and he became what he was as a Marlin.

There's no evidence to support the idea that Adrian Gonzalez would've been who he is today had the Marlins held onto him. The same applies to every player in a similar situation. The most important part of a player's development comes in their transition into the major leagues.

Doesn't matter. They're both still a product of the original system they were drafted into. That is where they began their professional career. Like I said, though, it's a minor point. But I understand--we all like to defend our team to the death (even though I can freely admit that my team's guys from other teams are a product of those teams and not my own, such as Ichiro/Orix, Smoak/Rangers, Carp/Mets, etc. while I recognize that guys like Felix, Ackley, and Pineda are products of the Mariners system).

Color me M-pressed with Seattle's homegrown talent!

Yay for someone using an alter to make fun of a first-round-draft pick, a Cy Young Award winner, and a candidate for Rookie Of The Year! How clever and original to make fun of good players on a bad team! You deserve not one, not two, but three cookies!

thespotwsflyer.jpg

go texans!

the tourist said:
Yay for someone using an alter to make fun of a first-round-draft pick, a Cy Young Award winner, and a candidate for Rookie Of The Year! How clever and original to make fun of good players on a bad team! You deserve not one, not two, but three cookies!

Like a Franklin Gutierrez plate appearance, I meant no offense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom