2011 AFL Thread - Melbourne: The suckiest sucks that ever sucked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be so depressing if they defeat us next week.

Then again, I would be impressed if they showed their faces.

A half-assed one, yes. I didn't bother to check the real quote, but this was based on it.

I think it's "suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked" but I can't remember what he's talking about... Marge's boy scout team?

You're right, but like I said. I think he may've been referring to the Springfield Isotopes?

Could the Demons not be bothered turning up today and just sent out GWS in Melbourne uniforms instead?

And yes, it's the Isotopes who were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. I've seen teams suck before, but they ...

(It took so long for me to get around to posting this that the old thread finished. :der: )

You get around the city, you'd have seen the state of the suburban grounds? It would be impossible, logistically. I walked past Glenferrie Oval the other day. It's on a narrow street in a residential area. You couldn't play Hawthorn vs Frankston there. I've seen that, Whitten Oval, Princes Park and Windy Hill, and logistically, you couldn't play AFL games there. No way in hell.

I don't know when the Hawks last played a game at Glenferrie oval itself, but in the '90s they were using Waverley/VFL/AFL Park for their home ground (as I've just discovered a lot of other Melbourne teams were too), which has since been demolished and replaced by housing. The old Member's stand is still there, along with the oval itself. Clearly that whole project was motivated by money - the land in this part of Melbourne (I live very close to where the ground was) is worth a hell of a lot more sold off to build houses on than it was as a sport/concert venue.

I haven't seen any of the other suburban grounds lately... the one game I saw at Vic Park was a long time ago (Pies vs. Weagles, and the poor Weagles won, lol). I can't remember how we got there but I don't remember anyone grumbling.

No parking. Simple as that. Plus if you're at Windy Hill, Glenferrie or Whitten now that some stands have been torn down, you kick the ball with any sort of force and it gets lost. I think Princes Park could work though, but it seems off the cards.

I think the parking is part of it, yeah. While it does make sense to use smaller grounds for less-well-attended games, my guess is that the AFL would prefer more people attended those games, and maybe they don't want people to be put off by the possibility that a smaller ground might be full, and let's face it, a lot of people will still prefer to drive even when public transport is plentiful. And getting into the city is easier by PT than going from one side of suburbia to the other, or from the eastern suburbs to the north, or whatever.

Maybe the AFL was hoping that the less-attended games would be better attended if they were all in a central location, and this way the clubs save money on maintaining the suburban grounds. Either way it probably comes back to money in the end.

Also, I saw a Gold Coast Suns sticker on the back of a van the other day, it made me laugh. *L* Good on him, whoever he was.

And also again, what the hell is Geelong doing to Melbourne?!

I don't know, a 25,000-capacity suburban ground almost sold out looks a hell of a lot better than 20,000 or 22,000 people scattered around the MCG.

Also, Waverley - what were they thinking?! I know it was meant to be in Melbourne's geographic centre, but christ, did they not think that people might want to get there easily?

Greater Western Sydney, the new club to join get raped in the AFL next year.

Fixed.

I don't know, a 25,000-capacity suburban ground almost sold out looks a hell of a lot better than 20,000 or 22,000 people scattered around the MCG.

Oh yeah, it looks a lot better. But if that 25,000-capacity suburban ground DID sell out, then that means the AFL/clubs have lost valuable Moneyz they could have got if the game had taken place in a larger ground (and 25,003 people attended), ohnoes. Not to mention the cab charges out to Waverley would pile up, too.

Also, Waverley - what were they thinking?! I know it was meant to be in Melbourne's geographic centre, but christ, did they not think that people might want to get there easily?

I'm not sure on the history of the ground there, but I'm guessing it was a fairly short one? And geographic centres mean nothing if the transport/cultural/practical centre is 25km away.

I remember hearing about the PopMart show there, when I was a budding fan, and despite the fact that I could see the lights from the building I was living in, I had no idea how to get there short of walking (probably wouldn't have taken that long, either). I couldn't afford the ticket then anyway, but still.

lolz!

Here's the question: Port or Melbourne - who's the bigger joke after this game?

Actually, is anyone watching this on TV? Is the Melbourne team actually present at all? (Or even the Suns in Melb jerseys, as someone said.)

I'm not sure on the history of the ground there, but I'm guessing it was a fairly short one? And geographic centres mean nothing if the transport/cultural/practical centre is 25km away.

Yeah, that was the problem, it seems somebody single-mindedly decided that geographical centre was most logical, never mind transport linkages or practical centres ... it's the main reason the ground failed. If it had been built on a more accessible site, well, we wouldn't have Etihad Stadium with us, put it that way.

Actually, is anyone watching this on TV? Is the Melbourne team actually present at all? (Or even the Suns in Melb jerseys, as someone said.)

Bulldogs vs Eagles is the free-to-air game, so I don't get to see this utter flogging. :(

If Geelong score 64 points or more this quarter, they will set the record for the highest score in a VFL/AFL game (they need 63 to equal the past record of 239, which they themselves set in 1992 against the Bears).

@Ali: thanks for the GWS knowledge. At least it's not another fucking Melbourne club.

4 more points to 200. I think even Port could manage that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom