2011 AFL Thread - Melbourne: The suckiest sucks that ever sucked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, it was actually live here on free-to-air. Nice to have a Saturday arvo game not on delay,

We can never ever put away Brisbane, at least over the last 10 years. Radio commentators rather starting to give me the shits because "they didn't win by 100,000 points!!:" Gotta give some credit to the opposition at some point.

I was out this morning, and when I loaded The Age this morning, for a second I thought they'd muddled up the result of Brisbane vs Collingwood with North vs Freo.

Very much looking over my shoulder re: North snatching eighth from Essendon.

The Age has an article saying the much-touted Collingwood depth is a bit of a myth in light of their performance against the Lions. What say you folk who watched it? I presume you disagree, Daniel?

Brisbane's percentage is in the same ballpark as Western and Freo's...it's just that they never manage to put any teams away. They don't get blown out nearly as often as their record suggests.

I suspect North has doesn't have much chance of passing up Essendon, not with next week's Bombers/Power contest lying in wait. Sydney is probably in trouble though, with matches against St Kilda and Geelong ahead. Their shittiness will also be an obstacle.

Ian, or anyone know what the Toyota Cup is? Equivalent of the TAC Cup? I just watched the last 10 mins of Canterbury beating Manly 52-0 and at one point a Manly player took the ball over the try line, under no pressure, and dropped it instead of scoring.

Sydney is probably in trouble though, with matches against St Kilda and Geelong ahead. Their shittiness will also be an obstacle.

May need to think again on that one! We sometimes rag on Collingwood for being inaccurate, but Sydney just showed us how inaccurate victories are all done. 10.23! Christ.

After the first quarter going exactly as planned (63-6), Port have discovered how to score goals! :ohmy:

Axver said:
May need to think again on that one! We sometimes rag on Collingwood for being inaccurate, but Sydney just showed us how inaccurate victories are all done. 10.23! Christ.

If they were even half and half, they would have won by 60. Ridiculous. Maybe they'll figure out the trick to having talent during the finals and beat everyone handily.

Despite the result, there are a few positives from the latest Port massacre - the kid Butcher being the big one. 6 goals at 100% effiecency. I was listening on the radio and even the crowd of 14 people and six lambs were getting right into it everytime he got the ball. Rodan also massively helped the turnaround after half time coming on as the sub - 60 points isn't so bad when it seriously looked like it was going to be 160.

GWS lost by 97 points to GC's twos.

Promising!

Did Izzy kick anything?

The Dogs had taken their foot off the pedal at 3/4 time, and apparently were without a third of their best 22. Butcher's a very talented kid, no doubt, so at least the hype we've been hearing from Port supporters about him actually holds some weight.

The Sad Punk said:
Promising!

Did Izzy kick anything?

One and a few assists. He's actually kicked 30 for the year, which is great, but bittersweet because he was an extremely talented league player and he should still be playing league.

The Age has an article saying the much-touted Collingwood depth is a bit of a myth in light of their performance against the Lions. What say you folk who watched it? I presume you disagree, Daniel?

Eh, its a bit hard to rock up and thrash everyone by 100+ points each week :wink: Brisbane always seem to match up well against us though. As for our depth I'm not sure would it have stood up against a Geelong last night? probably not. I don't think we are missing Maxwell, but Shaw not "avaliable" till finals and Toovey who hadn't played for a few weeks are being missed. At the same time we've blooded a fair few rookies this year whilst being able to rest some older guys and still managed to come up with the goods (so far) so that's a positive also.

Danny, do you know any good pubs in the city to watch the footy? me and few mates are coming down next friday and Imma try twist some arms to go watch the pies game against freo somewhere.

I can't believe we are fourth.

I thought we would be near-certainties to be the first club to drop to 17th at the start of the year.

Been such a good year in many ways. :)

Toyota Cup is NRL Under 20's or a youth league or something, I'm pretty sure.

Melboune vs Richmond at the 'G <3 incredible atmosphere on a beautiful Melbourne August day and a wonder result.

Alex Rance is the real deal. Primed to become one of the most reliable backmen in the league.

GWS lost by 97 points to GC's twos.

Oh shit! :laugh:

One and a few assists. He's actually kicked 30 for the year, which is great, but bittersweet because he was an extremely talented league player and he should still be playing league.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that either code of rugby hasn't poached AFL players. If I were the All Blacks coach, well, I'd kill for somebody who can snap a drop-goal from a tight angle. Kicking in rugby looks so mediocre once you spend enough time watching Aussie Rules.

Eh, its a bit hard to rock up and thrash everyone by 100+ points each week :wink: Brisbane always seem to match up well against us though. As for our depth I'm not sure would it have stood up against a Geelong last night? probably not. I don't think we are missing Maxwell, but Shaw not "avaliable" till finals and Toovey who hadn't played for a few weeks are being missed. At the same time we've blooded a fair few rookies this year whilst being able to rest some older guys and still managed to come up with the goods (so far) so that's a positive also.

Yeah, you guys have definitely done well with getting some new blood into the team cohesively. Will you have a basically full strength team for round 24 against Geelong? Because that match will be VERY telling, for both sides.

Ax will know! I've got no idea.

Actually, I'm not sure I do! :( The one place I know for watching sport is for rugby (the East Brunswick Club appears to be run by a Kiwi and often has the rugby on). I normally go to places for their gigs ...

Melboune vs Richmond at the 'G <3 incredible atmosphere on a beautiful Melbourne August day and a wonder result.

Very glad to see the Tiges got another win! I was waiting in line for Pinback outside the Corner as very happy punters went past after the game - good vibes. One woman on my tram tried to get people to sing the team song before her embarrassed friend shut her up. :lol:

What's that Irish pub we go to for u23d? Pugg Mahones? that's good. And actually Danny I do know Elephant & Wheelbarrow in the city (one in St K too) to be very good for watching sport.

Presenting the New Zealand "Falcons" guernsey:

New%20Zealand.jpg

The Precinct in Richmond is good for watching footy, as is Bridie's on Chapel with the big screens there. Great timing is to hit the dancefloor once the footy is over to try and pick up women to the sounds of PitBull's I Know You Want Me.

What's that Irish pub we go to for u23d? Pugg Mahones? that's good. And actually Danny I do know Elephant & Wheelbarrow in the city (one in St K too) to be very good for watching sport.

Presenting the New Zealand "Falcons" guernsey:

New%20Zealand.jpg

Obviously I'm not the number one go-to lass for Melburnian sports bars, but there's an Elephant & Wheelbarrow here that seems competent for watching sports, not sure if it's a chain or not (though if you did come here to watch sport I'd recommend heaps of pubs over it). I did discover that PJ O'briens was a chain when I was there... there's one on Southbank and might go alright, think there were a few screens when I had a drink there. Pugg Mahone's was a place I badly wanted to visit, if only for its name! What was the name of the Irish pub we went to, Ax?

That guernsey's a damn shame, there's a lot of cool designs you could do with a Kiwi team - a silver fern, something Maori, or both - and they recolour one of the worst guernseys in the league. :(

though it actually looks better than the hawks one loloroo

Some of the other jumpers are cool though: http://www.worldfootynews.com/staticpages/index.php/IC11_Mens_Previews_Squads_Jumpers

Ireland's looks like a clusterfuck in the little thumbnail but it's nice in the larger picture.

Would love to see a few games played in Adelaide in the next one... hell, they played them at Warrnambool a few years ago. Fuck that shit.

Hahahaha wtf is that US guernsey? Isn't Apollo Creed a little old/fictional to play footy for us?

Yeah, you guys have definitely done well with getting some new blood into the team cohesively. Will you have a basically full strength team for round 24 against Geelong? Because that match will be VERY telling, for both sides.

Maybe. We will still be down Maxwell, Shaw, possibly have Dawes back...but I'm not so sure it will be very telling at all, as both sides are going to finish first and second and avoid injuries and using game-plans for finals. Okay if the Pies lose to Freo and Geelong, the cats go top. But I don't really see us losing both matches.

How's Essendon gonna go? (Looks like you will play Sydney or St.Kilda), they will belt Port Adelaide this week, no doubt. Man I hope North beat the Saints this weekend, cannot stand the saints (and they are wasting a finals spot as they cannot score of 60 Points it seems :wink:) Sydney have Geelong at Kardashian park so there's a loss, followed by Brisbane at the Gabba, get your Brisbane scaf out Ax if you want Essendon to play a home final against the Swans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom