2010 World Cup Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Mexican neighbors rooted for the U.S. and Mexico. So, did I. We were all sad to see both teams lose. But, happy. They were in the World Cup. Even, making it to the second round. That is quite an accomplishment.

My Mexican neighbors rooted for the U.S. and Mexico. So, did I. We were all sad to see both teams lose. But, happy. They were in the World Cup. Even, making it to the second round. That is quite an accomplishment.

:up:

I know it's said every time but I really do hope our teams grow and will have better outcomes in the Brazil '14 cup. Hey, it's not often that it can be said they finished better than France and Italy :wink:

very curious about tomorrows battles! Maybe Slovakia and Chile will be dark horses?

Me too and I will be home, at least for the first game. With the Netherlands playing against Slovakia.

I do think Mexico and the U.S. played to the very best of their ability. I am proud of both of them. Nothing for either team to ever be ashamed of. Heck, not every country makes it to the World Cup.

Mexico and the U.S. Made it to the round of sixteen. Not an easy thing to do. Considering the teams they had to play. So, early on.

Team Mexico and USA, you have made us proud! Great games and fair play. Real gentlemen on the field.

All these comments make me understand why soccer is not popular in the U.S. and some other countries. You simply do not understand "passion".

In Argentina, if the team wins people go out and celebrate on the streets. If the team loses, everyone cries and stays home. For Argentines, not winning the Cup is a failure. There is nothing of that "well done, you made it to the round of 16" stuff.

And that San Antonio comment is completely out of place? How can you compare an NBA team with your national squad? Tells you how little you know about sports.

I threw a magazine at my television set, cried for 2 days, and refused to look at any Italian player on TV for the first month of league season after Italy beat France in 2006 Final. And I'm not even French. I'm just someone who loves Zidane and think he was robbed of a great retirement send-off by a disrespectful thug named Materazzi. I agree, that football is about passion.

But if the team has given their all, and still ended up losing to a better team, then we have to give them credits where credit is due. And hope that our support will mean something to them to improve their game until the next World Cup in another 4 years.

By the way, I was without Internet last weekend but I watched some of the games on TV. Sorry I missed the World Cup (ref-heckling) party on blue crack! :D That would have been fun!

Now I understand the saying "patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels". I have this thread to thank.

All these comments make me understand why soccer is not popular in the U.S. and some other countries. You simply do not understand "passion".

In Argentina, if the team wins people go out and celebrate on the streets. If the team loses, everyone cries and stays home. For Argentines, not winning the Cup is a failure. There is nothing of that "well done, you made it to the round of 16" stuff.

And that San Antonio comment is completely out of place? How can you compare an NBA team with your national squad? Tells you how little you know about sports.

post less.

Trust me Americans understand passion regarding sports. Just check out fans of American football teams. I was depressed for days when USC lost to Texas in the '06 National Championship game. I still get upset even thinking about it. I could watch the "Bush Push" non-stop for days.

Do MOST Americans have the same passion for Soccer, no, however there are many who do. I am a casual soccer fan, and am realistic about the US team. Since you are a fan of Argentina, you should expect them to do well, because they are highly ranked. Americans know that our team wasn't as highly ranked, so we can be happy with where they finished and still hopeful that they will improve next time.

That said, since I am a casual fan, I'm rooting for the Germans because I like their style of play and am not the biggest fan of Maradona.

We won!!! :yippie:

Granted, it wasn't the most spectacular of matches and it seems the team is still stuck in 1st or 2nd gear, but it was an efficient win. Next up, Brazil or Chile. We can have them both! :mad:

:D

I'm just someone who loves Zidane and think he was robbed of a great retirement send-off by a disrespectful thug named Materazzi.

Was Zidane forced to headbutt him in front of hundreds of millions ?

Zidane was undoubtedly a brilliant player, but he had his thuggish moments too.

After the 2006 WC outburst, his most famous being in 1998 when he got sent off for stomping on a Saudi player

We won!!! :yippie:

Granted, it wasn't the most spectacular of matches and it seems the team is still stuck in 1st or 2nd gear, but it was an efficient win. Next up, Brazil or Chile. We can have them both! :mad:

:D

Looking forward to that rematch, I still remember 1974, 1978 and the Brazil losses in 94 and 98 vividly. If nothing else they deserve one for Bergkamp's argentina goal.

About time they won one, not sure it'll be this tournament though.

Slovakia reminded me of Italy in Euro 2008 against Spain, they had given up before the kick off.

You and I will always have a different opinion about what transpired. Let's leave it at that.

I don't have an opinion I have only a fact.

In front of the biggest TV audience in history, an emotional player lost his mind and headbutted an opponent.

It doesn't matter what Materazzi said, trash talking goes on all the time, these guys are paid obscenely huge amounts of money to deal with it and play the game.

Below is what transpired, and this is not an opinion. There is absolutely no excuse for this behaviour at this level of the game, or really at any level in society. It is 100% Zidane's fault.

If you didn't want to discuss it you shouldn't have brought it up.

zidane.gif

It doesn't matter what Materazzi said, trash talking goes on all the time, these guys are paid obscenely huge amounts of money to deal with it and play the game.

Cannavaro didn't talk trash to Zidane. Neither did Buffon when he talked to Zidane after he did a brilliant save of Zidane's header. Or Pirlo, or Zambrotta. Trash talking does not go on all the time, only by cheap players. Some of your brilliant players actually have respect for other footballers.

Cannavaro didn't talk trash to Zidane. Neither did Buffon when he talked to Zidane after he did a brilliant save of Zidane's header. Or Pirlo, or Zambrotta. Trash talking does not go on all the time, only by cheap players. Some of your brilliant players actually have respect for other footballers.

If you think trash talking does not go on across the spectrum of all sports, they're you're not living in reality. It happens more often than you think, and personally, I think it's acceptable. You want to throw your opponent of their game as much as possible within the rules, so why not try to get under their skin? That's what Materazzi did and it worked. And how do you know for certain that Pirlo or Cannavaro do not trash talk? Are you on the field to discern if this is true or not?

You want to throw your opponent of their game as much as possible within the rules, so why not try to get under their skin? That's what Materazzi did and it worked.

Thank you for clarifying my point! :)

And how do you know for certain that Pirlo or Cannavaro do not trash talk? Are you on the field to discern if this is true or not?

They were never seen exchanging words with Zidane on that particular match. But you're right, who knows, they could have shouted obscenities at him from across the field too. :shrug: I just know they're brilliant footballers who get through the matches with skills, instead of riling up opponents or diving or any other cheating ways. And yes, that cheating comment is only my personal opinion. Shit happens in a match, even in World Cup.

Thank you for clarifying my point! :)

And what point is that?

They were never seen exchanging words with Zidane on that particular match. But you're right, who knows, they could have shouted obscenities at him from across the field too. :shrug: I just know they're brilliant footballers who get through the matches with skills, instead of riling up opponents or diving or any other cheating ways. And yes, that cheating comment is only my personal opinion. Shit happens in a match, even in World Cup.

Right. So throughout their careers they never once tried to gain an advantage by engaging in trash talk with an opponent. Not once. And you know this because you were on the field for every one of those games?

OK, the real part of the tournament is starting now for us. Let's do it Brazil.

Chile has been playing good football, it is a shame one of these two teams will be out of the tournament in a few hours.

Hopefully this will be a fast paced game and Chile play offensively like they usually do. Elano needs another goal and Robinho needs to justify himself.

Hopefully this will be a fast paced game and Chile play offensively like they usually do. Elano needs another goal and Robinho needs to justify himself.

Unfortunately Elano did not recover from the beating he took in the game against Ivory Coast, so he's out. So is Felipe Mello.

I'm not happy either (mostly for Elano).

Chile will play 4-3-3. This should be a good, watchable game.

:shifty:

:wave: oooh made it just in time for Brazil V Chile :cabbagepatch: as ever I'm just hoping for a nice close game to get the ole heart started . . . and fingers crossed a match free of dodgy ref calls . . . :wink:

and can I just throw in a little :rockon: vis-a-vis the Netherlands getting up over Slovakia :up: . . . shame I missed it but the need for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's won the day (and happily SBS is beautiful about replays - w00000t!) :)

*readsbackthroughthread* :ohmy: looks like I missed some fun though :grumpy: *wonderswhysomepeopleevenbotherpostingwhenitsallnegativenellyandatitchybitnasty* :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom