2010 FIFA World Cup! Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
so can we start talking about it yet? or are we still celebrating/bemoaning Chelsea's victory? it's next month! it was very exciting last time around, though i don't think Australia'll do as well this time. still wishing Senegal was in the tournament though, they should just get a wildcard entry to every tournament...

begin discussion!

my tip is England!

(edit - it's really Spain, couldn't leave it like that :wink:)

if we're to be really honest, i'll be over the moon if new zealand just score a goal, but i'll be obnoxious as all hell regardless.

with all due respect to australia too, they'll fare just as well as new zealand will this time around. deadset horror group to be drawn in.

if we're to be really honest, i'll be over the moon if new zealand just score a goal, but i'll be obnoxious as all hell regardless.

with all due respect to australia too, they'll fare just as well as new zealand will this time around. deadset horror group to be drawn in.

being obnoxious as hell is a lot of fun, isn't it? :wink: especially over the internet. :lol:

i don't get why everyone thinks it's so bad... it's no worse than Japan/Croatia/Brazil.

not exactly sure why the mascot is a jaundiced catboy with chicken pox though.

File:Zakumi.jpg

being obnoxious as hell is a lot of fun, isn't it? :wink: especially over the internet. :lol:

i don't get why everyone thinks it's so bad... it's no worse than Japan/Croatia/Brazil.

no doubt :lol: i'm still kicking myself for turning down basically a free trip to wellington for the qualifier against bahrain. damn damn damn arse shit poop tits.

it's not much worse than those teams, but the australian team is much, much worse than the one we've seen lately. under hiddink they were almost as good as they were ever going to be, and under a far worse coach and four years older i don't hold out much hope for them - they're my second team for this world cup though! my biggest attention is on the warm up game at the mcg in two weeks though. can't wait.

can we also use this thread to discuss hosting of future world cups? apparently the brazil bid is in deep shit and may end up in the united states.

Again?! :scream:

By that I mean how about we give-a someone else a go.

usa 1994 was great. it really launched the sport there, in particular a good professional league.

to be honest i think the usa is australia's biggest rival to getting one of the two world cups on offer - if they could get 2014 to the usa that would be a massive bonus.

although i do think that like athens in 2004 brazil will get their shit together in time, but fifa aren't as forgiving as the olympic committee.

Could Russia be a chance? I think it's fair to say that it's their time.

Out of the current bids I would hope for Russia (as previously mentioned) and Belgium/Netherlands. I was very surprised by the bid of Indonesia, but that got cancelled.

Out of the current bids I would hope for Russia (as previously mentioned) and Belgium/Netherlands. I was very surprised by the bid of Indonesia, but that got cancelled.

i'd love to see russia pick one up, but i think both world cups are, as i said, between usa/england/australia. my preferences are easily australia, usa, russia and england - in that order. europe had 2006, while i'd be shocked to see fifa wait until 2026 to give them another world cup, i'd love to see it happen.

2018 - England
2022 - Australia or USA

I'd much rather it not be England, I'd rather the Russia or BeNeLux bids, but England will get it.

Can't wait for the World Cup. I will be nocturnal, just a shame I've got an exam the day of the Australia vs Serbia match.

I sense a Spain vs Netherlands final with Spain prevailing, based on some World Cup predictor app on my phone, but my general preference is for pretty much anyone BUT England. I think I'll be cheering for USA, Algeria and Slovenia as much as I'll be cheering for Oz against Serbia, Ghana and Germany. We'll see.

Don't rate France with that Domenech mug at the helm, nor Argentina, despite the undeniable brilliance of their players. No stability or cohesion in the side since Maradona took charge.

Here's hoping for some surprise packets and upsets aplenty, like Honduras, and South Africa to defy the odds and miraculously continue the tradition of the host nation ALWAYS making it beyond the group stage. Unlucky to be drawn in a tough group despite their seeding.

I'd be leery of betting on Spain because of their injury problems (esp. Torres, Iniesta and Xavi).

I think Australia will either do very well, or just get smashed. I don't think there's a chance they'll be middle of the road.

That said, I think/hope they'll get to the second round.

Cheering for the US, of course but Spain looks damn good. As long as Italy doesn't win it, I am happy.

While I'm hoping for more of this, I know it won't happen. Just not good enough this time around.

Italy_World_Cup_Winner.jpg

Brazil is playing dour football, Argentina is managed by an idiot who will squander some of the game's best talents, Spain has injury issues.

Ivory Coast and Ghana are being tipped as (no pun intended) dark horses, but they don't have a lot of depth.

England or Germany to take the whole thing.

:(

I'm actually going to South Africa on the 19th of June. Don't have any tickets for games (mostly because I'm going for other reasons) but now I kind of want to go to one.

Yeah I'll take a look at the schedule to see if there is anything in Cape Town for the 3 or 4 days I'm there. I'm actually hardly spending any time in SA, going north to Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia, so I may just be out of luck.

I bet the flight will be full of crazed fans though!

Do we have any chance of doing well in this thing?

I'll also be rooting for England, because I still kinda like Ashley Cole even though he's a complete fucking idiot.

And I'll be rooting for Australia, because of all you bastards around here that I like that are from Australia.

And Bono. I'm cheering for Bono as well.

Yeah I'll take a look at the schedule to see if there is anything in Cape Town for the 3 or 4 days I'm there. I'm actually hardly spending any time in SA, going north to Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia, so I may just be out of luck.

I bet the flight will be full of crazed fans though!

200,000 tickets still on sale if your dates line up.

funny you say that, that's the only way Italy will progress :wink:

Italy have actually been on the wrong end of penalty shootouts in the World cup more often than not. Lost the 1990 semi-Final and the 1994 Final that way.

Do we have any chance of doing well in this thing?

I'll also be rooting for England, because I still kinda like Ashley Cole even though he's a complete fucking idiot.

And I'll be rooting for Australia, because of all you bastards around here that I like that are from Australia.

And Bono. I'm cheering for Bono as well.

Should make the second round. If they play well, wouldn't be too surprised to see them get to the final eight, but it would be a high expectation. Anything deeper than that is a miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom