2010 FIFA World Cup! Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

(will now give it up and move on . . . very much looking forward to NZ giving it to Italy this fine autumn evening . . . bring. it. on :up: )

Didn't he stop the ball on the line with his hand? That's what I read, and that is always a red card.

It's not a Red Card.... it was not a deliberate handball.

More importantly...

2uhsb2v.jpg

It's not a Red Card.... it was not a deliberate handball.

That's not really the de facto ruling for defenders on the goal line, though. In practice, ball touching extended arm = automatic penalty + red. Otherwise the defender has an incentive to keep his arms sticking out far enough that the ball will often strike him before he has time to get his arms out of the way.

I think FIFA needs a limited instant replay system like the NFL, for situations like the red card and the US goal that was disallowed.

Hm, I wasn't too proud of our boys yesterday. They won, sure. But Japan got waaay too many chances, and they were kicking around way too often again. I hope Robben's gonna play soon, he'll speed things up a fair bit!

That's not really the de facto ruling for defenders on the goal line, though. In practice, ball touching extended arm = automatic penalty + red. Otherwise the defender has an incentive to keep his arms sticking out far enough that the ball will often strike him before he has time to get his arms out of the way.

Fair enough if you look at it that way.. Maybe if the rule is revised to consider player intent... Which the referee can interpret at his/her own discretion.

Even Pierluigi Collina disagreed with the Penalty + Red rule, claiming it was too harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom