2010 AFL Thread Part Two: In which debate continues about Richmond's AFL membership

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
When was the last time a team went winless for a whole season?
Fitzroy, '64, correct. Fitzroy are also the only side to finish bottom of the ladder and win the premiership in the same year (1944 if my memory serves me correctly).
Give them a trial match against the current Gold Coast outfit.
Will more than likely happen if this Twenty20 NAB Cup thing goes ahead. Richmond will be grouped with GC and GWS.

Barry Hall just asked Sam if "that's the first time you've ever given a blow job" :lol:

RE: Title. I hope Ax will be ok. :sad:

Maybe Richo needs to make a return? :wink:

Not to worry Vladders, I'm pretty much settling on Essendon as my team (but with a soft spot for Richmond, at least when they pretend they're trying).

Danny, Wikipedia reckons the wooden spoon-premiership double happened in 1916 when WWI reduced the VFL season to a four-team tournament.

Not to worry Vladders, I'm pretty much settling on Essendon as my team (but with a soft spot for Richmond, at least when they pretend they're trying).

Danny, Wikipedia reckons the wooden spoon-premiership double happened in 1916 when WWI reduced the VFL season to a four-team tournament.

yep, i knew it had a six in it... one of the world wars.

By the way, I probably just missed it in the last thread, but what's this Twenty20 NAB Cup you mention? I feel so out of the loop.

I still want them to just burn the pre-season tournament and bring back State of Origin.

I reckon I'll show up at Rundle Mall on the day Crawf starts his run to Melbourne... though I seriously doubt he'll be able to make the distance.

Is this in any relation to the "Essen-DAW" thing you've going on? Not a bad choice, don't be a fairweather supporter though.

By the way, I probably just missed it in the last thread, but what's this Twenty20 NAB Cup you mention? I feel so out of the loop.

I still want them to just burn the pre-season tournament and bring back State of Origin.

Yes please.

Is this in any relation to the "Essen-DAW" thing you've going on? Not a bad choice, don't be a fairweather supporter though.

Not much to be fairweather about this season! The Essendaw joke has possibly unintentionally cemented it, but I just found myself gradually liking the team more and more over the last year. Maybe it is the proximity of where I live to Windy Hill after all. They put something in the air to woo everybody over.

Richmond, I just don't know. I want to like them, but they're just not sparking my interest. It's not that they're losing; it's that I think they're genuinely playing badly. You can lose but come away satisfied that your team fielded a competitive and well trained squad, played a good game to the best of their abilities, and made an entertaining match out of it. Rarely have I got that feeling from watching Richmond. I've just been frustrated, and never felt anything particularly strong for them. I guess with time, when they get their shit together, they'll be a second team for me, but for now I'd rather watch a team that can actually be bothered trying, like Essendon.

Not much to be fairweather about this season! The Essendaw joke has possibly unintentionally cemented it, but I just found myself gradually liking the team more and more over the last year. Maybe it is the proximity of where I live to Windy Hill after all. They put something in the air to woo everybody over.

Richmond, I just don't know. I want to like them, but they're just not sparking my interest. It's not that they're losing; it's that I think they're genuinely playing badly. You can lose but come away satisfied that your team fielded a competitive and well trained squad, played a good game to the best of their abilities, and made an entertaining match out of it. Rarely have I got that feeling from watching Richmond. I've just been frustrated, and never felt anything particularly strong for them. I guess with time, when they get their shit together, they'll be a second team for me, but for now I'd rather watch a team that can actually be bothered trying, like Essendon.

Mmm, I get ya. We're not going pretty well at the moment but yet I still hopeful and even excited for the upcoming game.

Earlier this year was when I really realised that I'd unconsciously pretty much become an Essendon fan. It was during that game when they ultimately got up over Carlton. During the second or third quarter, I realised just how loudly I was cheering on the Bombers ... that pretty much said it all.

I can't really just arbitrarily choose a team to follow in any sport. I didn't like not having a team in the AFL, but trying to choose Richmond or Hawthorn on the basis of their resemblance to Wellington rugby, past and present, just never had enough depth. Especially not with the rubbish, uninspiring way Richmond keep approaching the game. I think if Richmond were at least losing with spirit, I might've cared more, but every game I've seen this season, I just want to turn it off.

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble watching the Eagles earlier last decade, the Ken Judge years... also 2008, no matter how bad this year is, I don't think it can get worse than 2008, where we just didn't give a sniff. That's particularly hard to watch coming down from a premiership that occurred so soon beforehand. But yeah, even when a team's playing like shit, you gotta have a passion for them. And I think it's good to start supporting a side when they're still pretty average, because that makes it even more rewarding when you see them succeed, after such a long struggle.

i couldn't be a glory hunter. when you win, it's so-so because it's expected, when you lose you look like a twat.

whereas if you've always supported someone, losing doesn't feel great, but it's part of the package - and when you're winning it's fanfuckingtastic.

'Twenty20 football' planned for AFL pre-season

Round robin opening round with each side playing two games of two twenty minute halves in the one night.

atrocious idea.
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble watching the Eagles earlier last decade, the Ken Judge years... also 2008, no matter how bad this year is, I don't think it can get worse than 2008, where we just didn't give a sniff. That's particularly hard to watch coming down from a premiership that occurred so soon beforehand. But yeah, even when a team's playing like shit, you gotta have a passion for them. And I think it's good to start supporting a side when they're still pretty average, because that makes it even more rewarding when you see them succeed, after such a long struggle.

bingo. i mean i haven't supported the Cats over the past 30 or so years like most people, but i have supported them passionately for the past 15 or so and the way we're playing now is so amazing, even to watch your side win a flag is the most amazing feeling. but it was very hard in the early 00s, even harder in '04 and '05, when we lost the prelim and the semis. i cried both times.

And I think it's good to start supporting a side when they're still pretty average, because that makes it even more rewarding when you see them succeed, after such a long struggle.

God, yes. When Wellington won the NPC rugby in 2000 ... man, that was incredible. And if Kapiti-Horowhenua ever wins, well, anything, I'm pretty sure you'll hear me cheering from interstate.

'Twenty20 football' planned for AFL pre-season

Round robin opening round with each side playing two games of two twenty minute halves in the one night.

atrocious idea.

That's the stupidest idea I've ever seen.

There is no doubt in my mind that GC17 will be MUCH more successful than GWS in the coming 20 years.

There is no doubt in my mind that GC17 will be MUCH more successful than GWS in the coming 20 years.

following what bonnie said, that is a bit like saying that the second iraq war will be considered more successful than the vietnam war :wink:

but seriously i think the gold coast team will probably not be a disaster, but they'll be small.

following what bonnie said, that is a bit like saying that the second iraq war will be considered more successful than the vietnam war :wink:

but seriously i think the gold coast team will probably not be a disaster, but they'll be small.

17-20k a game would be a success for them, in the new GC Stadium, that is.

RageFace.png

freocry.gif

Collingwood really have been pouncing on little opportunity, pissing me off. :down:

Umpiring has been horrid, too.

I'm still on the delayed telecast, not lookin' good. I do have a bit of rage against C'wood now, because they're getting so many cheap goals from 10-15m from goal.

Back
Top Bottom