2010 AFL Thread Part Two: In which debate continues about Richmond's AFL membership - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 57,000
Local Time: 01:57 PM
2010 AFL Thread Part Two: In which debate continues about Richmond's AFL membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
When was the last time a team went winless for a whole season?
Fitzroy, '64, correct. Fitzroy are also the only side to finish bottom of the ladder and win the premiership in the same year (1944 if my memory serves me correctly).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Give them a trial match against the current Gold Coast outfit.
Will more than likely happen if this Twenty20 NAB Cup thing goes ahead. Richmond will be grouped with GC and GWS.

Barry Hall just asked Sam if "that's the first time you've ever given a blow job"
__________________

cobl04 is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,229
Local Time: 01:27 PM
RE: Title. I hope Ax will be ok.

Maybe Richo needs to make a return?
__________________

Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,744
Local Time: 01:57 PM
Not to worry Vladders, I'm pretty much settling on Essendon as my team (but with a soft spot for Richmond, at least when they pretend they're trying).

Danny, Wikipedia reckons the wooden spoon-premiership double happened in 1916 when WWI reduced the VFL season to a four-team tournament.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 57,000
Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Not to worry Vladders, I'm pretty much settling on Essendon as my team (but with a soft spot for Richmond, at least when they pretend they're trying).

Danny, Wikipedia reckons the wooden spoon-premiership double happened in 1916 when WWI reduced the VFL season to a four-team tournament.
yep, i knew it had a six in it... one of the world wars.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,702
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Barry Hall hates Canberra.
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,744
Local Time: 01:57 PM
By the way, I probably just missed it in the last thread, but what's this Twenty20 NAB Cup you mention? I feel so out of the loop.

I still want them to just burn the pre-season tournament and bring back State of Origin.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,702
Local Time: 12:27 PM
I reckon I'll show up at Rundle Mall on the day Crawf starts his run to Melbourne... though I seriously doubt he'll be able to make the distance.
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,229
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Not to worry Vladders, I'm pretty much settling on Essendon as my team (but with a soft spot for Richmond, at least when they pretend they're trying).

Danny, Wikipedia reckons the wooden spoon-premiership double happened in 1916 when WWI reduced the VFL season to a four-team tournament.
Is this in any relation to the "Essen-DAW" thing you've going on? Not a bad choice, don't be a fairweather supporter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
By the way, I probably just missed it in the last thread, but what's this Twenty20 NAB Cup you mention? I feel so out of the loop.

I still want them to just burn the pre-season tournament and bring back State of Origin.
Yes please.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,744
Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Is this in any relation to the "Essen-DAW" thing you've going on? Not a bad choice, don't be a fairweather supporter though.
Not much to be fairweather about this season! The Essendaw joke has possibly unintentionally cemented it, but I just found myself gradually liking the team more and more over the last year. Maybe it is the proximity of where I live to Windy Hill after all. They put something in the air to woo everybody over.

Richmond, I just don't know. I want to like them, but they're just not sparking my interest. It's not that they're losing; it's that I think they're genuinely playing badly. You can lose but come away satisfied that your team fielded a competitive and well trained squad, played a good game to the best of their abilities, and made an entertaining match out of it. Rarely have I got that feeling from watching Richmond. I've just been frustrated, and never felt anything particularly strong for them. I guess with time, when they get their shit together, they'll be a second team for me, but for now I'd rather watch a team that can actually be bothered trying, like Essendon.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,229
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Not much to be fairweather about this season! The Essendaw joke has possibly unintentionally cemented it, but I just found myself gradually liking the team more and more over the last year. Maybe it is the proximity of where I live to Windy Hill after all. They put something in the air to woo everybody over.

Richmond, I just don't know. I want to like them, but they're just not sparking my interest. It's not that they're losing; it's that I think they're genuinely playing badly. You can lose but come away satisfied that your team fielded a competitive and well trained squad, played a good game to the best of their abilities, and made an entertaining match out of it. Rarely have I got that feeling from watching Richmond. I've just been frustrated, and never felt anything particularly strong for them. I guess with time, when they get their shit together, they'll be a second team for me, but for now I'd rather watch a team that can actually be bothered trying, like Essendon.
Mmm, I get ya. We're not going pretty well at the moment but yet I still hopeful and even excited for the upcoming game.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,744
Local Time: 01:57 PM
Earlier this year was when I really realised that I'd unconsciously pretty much become an Essendon fan. It was during that game when they ultimately got up over Carlton. During the second or third quarter, I realised just how loudly I was cheering on the Bombers ... that pretty much said it all.

I can't really just arbitrarily choose a team to follow in any sport. I didn't like not having a team in the AFL, but trying to choose Richmond or Hawthorn on the basis of their resemblance to Wellington rugby, past and present, just never had enough depth. Especially not with the rubbish, uninspiring way Richmond keep approaching the game. I think if Richmond were at least losing with spirit, I might've cared more, but every game I've seen this season, I just want to turn it off.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,702
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble watching the Eagles earlier last decade, the Ken Judge years... also 2008, no matter how bad this year is, I don't think it can get worse than 2008, where we just didn't give a sniff. That's particularly hard to watch coming down from a premiership that occurred so soon beforehand. But yeah, even when a team's playing like shit, you gotta have a passion for them. And I think it's good to start supporting a side when they're still pretty average, because that makes it even more rewarding when you see them succeed, after such a long struggle.
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 03:57 PM
i couldn't be a glory hunter. when you win, it's so-so because it's expected, when you lose you look like a twat.

whereas if you've always supported someone, losing doesn't feel great, but it's part of the package - and when you're winning it's fanfuckingtastic.
coolian2 is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 57,000
Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
By the way, I probably just missed it in the last thread, but what's this Twenty20 NAB Cup you mention? I feel so out of the loop.
'Twenty20 football' planned for AFL pre-season

Round robin opening round with each side playing two games of two twenty minute halves in the one night.

atrocious idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble watching the Eagles earlier last decade, the Ken Judge years... also 2008, no matter how bad this year is, I don't think it can get worse than 2008, where we just didn't give a sniff. That's particularly hard to watch coming down from a premiership that occurred so soon beforehand. But yeah, even when a team's playing like shit, you gotta have a passion for them. And I think it's good to start supporting a side when they're still pretty average, because that makes it even more rewarding when you see them succeed, after such a long struggle.
bingo. i mean i haven't supported the Cats over the past 30 or so years like most people, but i have supported them passionately for the past 15 or so and the way we're playing now is so amazing, even to watch your side win a flag is the most amazing feeling. but it was very hard in the early 00s, even harder in '04 and '05, when we lost the prelim and the semis. i cried both times.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,744
Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
And I think it's good to start supporting a side when they're still pretty average, because that makes it even more rewarding when you see them succeed, after such a long struggle.
God, yes. When Wellington won the NPC rugby in 2000 ... man, that was incredible. And if Kapiti-Horowhenua ever wins, well, anything, I'm pretty sure you'll hear me cheering from interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
'Twenty20 football' planned for AFL pre-season

Round robin opening round with each side playing two games of two twenty minute halves in the one night.

atrocious idea.
That's the stupidest idea I've ever seen.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,229
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
That's the stupidest idea I've ever seen.
I don't mind it just as long as the teams involved have something to play for.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:17 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 03:57 PM
it's a better idea than greater western sydney.
coolian2 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:27 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,702
Local Time: 12:27 PM
The Vietnam war was a better idea than GWS.
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,229
Local Time: 01:27 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that GC17 will be MUCH more successful than GWS in the coming 20 years.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that GC17 will be MUCH more successful than GWS in the coming 20 years.
following what bonnie said, that is a bit like saying that the second iraq war will be considered more successful than the vietnam war

but seriously i think the gold coast team will probably not be a disaster, but they'll be small.
__________________

coolian2 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×