2010-2011 NBA Thread Episode III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the diff between 3 guys like Wade, Lebron and Bosh coming together to get by the rest of the NBA vs 3 guys like, say, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce coming together to get by the rest of the NBA? It's practically the same story, except of course the fact that the Celtics added even more big names to the equation. :shrug:
Allen, Garnett, and Pierce didn't all huddle up and decide to sign in the same place at the same time.

Impy is right. There's a difference. This is far from semantics, and dismissing it as such is just lazy.

Anyway, sorry they lost, I'm pulling for them, as you know, partly cos of you and Philbert....

Philbert approves of this message.

Both players attitude and demeanor on the court are incredibly similar. If Derrick Rose were on this team and Dwyane Wade were in Chicago in Rose's position, you'd all be villain-izing Rose so badly it's not even funny.

I would only villainize Rose if he decided to have a press conference and say, "I'm taking my talents to South Beach", then have a rock star celebration, and then come out with some dumb ass commercial that asks, "What should I do?" I have never liked Chris Bosh.

However, I have liked Dwayne Wade since he went to Marquette.

Right. Have fun villainizing Lebron. That's fine. It's fitting. He has a massive ego. I just don't get where Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade factor into the whole asshole/ego thing. They're often just grouped together with LeBron for the sake of grouping them together.

Right. Have fun villainizing Lebron. That's fine. It's fitting. He has a massive ego. I just don't get where Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade factor into the whole asshole/ego thing. They're often just grouped together with LeBron for the sake of grouping them together.

Would you agree that Bosh has tried real hard to be a little more of a hard ass this year? Still, like I said. I didn't like him in Toronto either.

And as far as D-Wade goes, in this forum, I think I am in the minority. Not many people liked him even before James and Bosh came to town. I don't think Headache has ever called him anything but Diane Wade.

I think a big reason for why Bosh and Wade fit in is because it used to be that the super stars would never have joined together like this to win a championship. Isaiah Thomas, Jordan, Bird, Magic...they wouldn't have ever done this.

The Celtics got their big three, but it was a team that was put together by the organization. They made the trades to make it happen...and they did it because they got pieces that fit. I'm sure Pat Riley had some sway...but it just seemed like this was much more player designed. Plus, Ray Allen is pretty classy. I'm sure there are many who dislike Garnett and Pierce.

Then, you still see pictures and video of that stupid celebration where all three were up on that stage gloating. They all were there. That leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Alright, man. Whatever you say. I'm not doing this shit again.

:lol: So why start it then? Feel free to ignore :lmao:

Allen, Garnett, and Pierce didn't all huddle up and decide to sign in the same place at the same time.

Impy is right. There's a difference. This is far from semantics, and dismissing it as such is just lazy.

You're right, they didn't huddle up. Their fat cat suits in head office huddled up and decided to move the pawns into place.

And that's why calling it what it is - semantics - is anything BUT lazy.

But I get it, this is way over my head, right?

:wink:

:lol: So why start it then? Feel free to ignore :lmao:

You're right, they didn't huddle up. Their fat cat suits in head office huddled up and decided to move the pawns into place.

There is something about loyalty that sits well with sports fans. Garnett was pretty loyal to the T-Wolves and Seattle loved Ray Allen.

Both Minny and Seattle were ready to go in a new direction and Boston helped it happen...creating a great team.

i edited most of my response because I really don't give a shit about debating this stuff. my question was rhetorical. whatever.

I just have a problem with hating Miami because Lebron went there. I don't love the guy myself and would be the first to fry him for his massive ego. But for fuck's sake, Jordan was no nice guy either. He was class-A jerk, in fact, in many people's minds. :shrug:

Garnett had another 2 years left on his deal, if I remember correctly. He signed an extension once he made his way to the Celts.

The biggest difference between the two teams is not just that one was assembled by trade (Danny Ainge had been collecting pieces for 2-3 years, at the least) and the other by free agency, but that each of the Celts' "Big 3" were either past their prime or in the last year or two of it. Same goes for the oft-forgotten Barkley/Pippen/Olajuwon/Drexler tandem in '97 and '98. LeBron, Wade and Bosh are in their primes and decided to play together... that is what's unprecedented.

There was definite collusion at play last off-season, which no one talks about.

And that's why calling it what it is - semantics - is anything BUT lazy.

But I get it, this is way over my head, right?
So Minnesota and Seattle just wanted to see Boston win a title, for the hell of it? This makes zero sense.

i edited most of my response because I really don't give a shit about debating this stuff. my question was rhetorical. whatever.

I just have a problem with hating Miami because Lebron went there. I don't love the guy myself and would be the first to fry him for his massive ego. But for fuck's sake, Jordan was no nice guy either. He was class-A jerk, in fact, in many people's minds. :shrug:

Jordan earned his rings through years of hard work. LeBron took the easy way there.*

*Though I really hope Dirk and the Mavs send them home empty handed.

Boy am I tired of watching people sitting courtside texting all game long....not just tonight, all the fucking time. Assfucks, watch the fucking game, it's going on right in front of you.

Jordan earned his rings through years of hard work. LeBron took the easy way there.*

*Though I really hope Dirk and the Mavs send them home empty handed.

Hey don't lose hope on me now, Diemen. It still takes four wins to advance in the NBA playoffs. I'm looking at it right now, and the Heat only have three.

This series is so much more fun/compelling that Heat/Bulls, what a difference.

Jason Terry shouldn't guard Kevin Durant, I'd say.

Deputy, is there any Texas/Oklahoma hatred connected to this series, or have the Thunder not been there long enough for that to kick in?

GAF is one my all-time favorite Put Em Under Pressure posters...he's knowledgable, he loves his teams, really only shows hate for a handful of teams (Minnesota area), even when his teams bow out he keeps watching the playoffs and enjoys them as much as he can.....and he keeps hope alive for his teams at all costs. I really admire that, cos as I said in the NHL thread, way too many sports fans have turned sports into a means to spew bile and vent and whatnot...when, really, it should be a source of joy, or at least positive entertainment.

Thank you for the kind words, NSW.

Dallas to the Finals. Happy for impy, and also happy for Tyson Chandler. I always liked Tyson. The guy has taken a lot of shit in his career, but I always thought he could wind up as a key post presence on a contending team.

Very happy that Dallas is in the finals. I hope they can win it all.

I would like to recant anything negative that I have ever said about Dirk. The guy is class. Let's hope that he brings his A-game to the Finals.

GAF is one my all-time favorite Put Em Under Pressure posters...he's knowledgable, he loves his teams, really only shows hate for a handful of teams (Minnesota area), even when his teams bow out he keeps watching the playoffs and enjoys them as much as he can.....and he keeps hope alive for his teams at all costs. I really admire that, cos as I said in the NHL thread, way too many sports fans have turned sports into a means to spew bile and vent and whatnot...when, really, it should be a source of joy, or at least positive entertainment.

Now this I can agree with. Say what you will against LeBron, he knows how to entertain. He's exactly what a star needs to be. People want to watch him...to see him win, and to see him lose. To cheer and to boo. To me, that is a good entertainer...one who makes people want to buy tickets to see them.

GAF - Game 5 is ours. We'll go from there, eh?

Deputy, is there any Texas/Oklahoma hatred connected to this series, or have the Thunder not been there long enough for that to kick in?

Not really. Maybe over time, but like you said, they haven't really been around long enough to foster any bad blood despite the animosity between the two states. I'd have a hard time ever hating them due to my obvious KD connection, but Westbrook made it pretty tough not to at times. Dude has the early signs of being a total punk, which really clashes with Durant's personality.

Either way, that team stills has a ton of reasons to be proud and even more to be optimistic about its future. No reason to hang their heads. Seeing Durant do this number on the way back to the locker room really bummed me out:

2e38ns9.gif

I'd have a hard time ever hating them due to my obvious KD connection, but Westbrook made it pretty tough not to at times. Dude has the early signs of being a total punk, which really clashes with Durant's personality.

Yeah, I'm thinking that OKC should trade Westbrook. He has no chemistry whatsoever with Durant, and there are many teams who would love to have Westbrook as their main scorer. They could move Harden to the point and pick up a few quality role players to complement Durant.

I love how Chris Bosh joining the Heat is even being remotely compared to KG, Bird, anything the Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, Magic, Pistons, etc etc ever did - trades, free agency, whatever. Like, is he that good, or isn't he? You can't have it both ways. Imo, he's not, and if he's not, then it's a silly comparison. He could be, but far as I'm concerned he hasn't proven himself yet and he's not a legend (yet). :shrug: You guys make it sound like players and owners operate in completely different universes.. so of course the players colluded with Riley etc and put together something...in a trade situation, you don't think the players get involved, that they are just helpless? Marquee talent at the height of their careers? It's like saying the draft is completely transparent and the players have no clue where they're going...naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom