2008 Super 14 thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
So, it's the middle of February and we've already had one week of the Super 14 already. What the hell, people? Seriously. Rugby's a fucking winter sport - it's not meant to start during summer! But hey, I can go for more rugby.

So, what will happen this year? Will the Crusaders own everybody again? (Probably.) Will the Bulls prove last year was just a fluke and they'll return to the status we all like them having, that of being shithouse? (Hopefully.) Will Australian teams continue to hopelessly fail? (Preferably.) Will Robbie Deans survive? (Unlikely.)

WILL MY BELOVED HURRICANES WIN SOMETHING. FFS, COME ON GUYS.

It's ridiculous to make predictions this early, but I'm going to say that the semi-finalists will be two Kiwi teams and two South African teams, and one of those Kiwi teams will bring the silverware back home. Of course, neither one of those Kiwi teams will be the Hurricanes, who will finish about 8th or 9th. The worst part is that my second team, the Highlanders, will probably come about 12th. Here's hoping for a miracle.

Well, it's the leading provincial rugby competition in the Southern Hemisphere, and I would say the level of competition is at international level - I will take the Super 14 over Europe's Six Nations any day of the week. Obviously it has a harder time in Australia than in New Zealand or South Africa, as rugby union has to compete with other codes here.

I think its main problem in Australia is that, like state cricket, it's condemned to pay TV. Though it attracts strong crowds in its markets; the lack of a Victorian team would have a lot to do with the poor coverage here. The two games hosted by Australia last weekend saw over 19,000 attend in Brisbane and over 27,000 in Sydney. The Western Force's club apparently has the greatest membership of any club in the whole tournament.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom