2008 Grammy Thread - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #316
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Laz, do you know who beat Madonna for Album of the Year in 99? I think that would've been the year she was nominated for "Ray of Light".

I had no idea that the "O Brother" soundtrack beat out ATYCLB, "The Rising" and "Love and Theft". That's a travesty of unbelievable proportions. All 3 of those albums are brilliant, and the fact that they lost to a soundtrack is just

Old 02-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #317
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
Laz, do you know who beat Madonna for Album of the Year in 99? I think that would've been the year she was nominated for "Ray of Light".

I had no idea that the "O Brother" soundtrack beat out ATYCLB, "The Rising" and "Love and Theft". That's a travesty of unbelievable proportions. All 3 of those albums are brilliant, and the fact that they lost to a soundtrack is just
"The Rising" didn't even come out until July 2002, which was months after the Grammy Awards for 2001 (held in January or February of 2002) so it wasn't one of the nominees that O Brother beat. IIRC India.Arie and Songs in the Key of A Minor were the other two albums that O Brother beat.

It was Norah Jones that beat Bruce's The Rising the following year for Best Album. And yes, I'm still bitter.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #318
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Cori: O Brother beat out Dylan's Love and Theft and U2's ATYCLB, and I think maybe Bruce's The Rising. The Dylan album was just as much a tribute to American roots music, but was original, and really deserved the win that year. In my opinion, "various artists" albums should NEVER be nominated for this award. It's a soundtrack!
Yeah, that's a good point. I couldn't remember what O Brother had been up against, and seeing the list, I agree it shouldn't have won.

I recall a lot of "ugh, why did THAT shit win - what is that, country?" or whatever that still comes up, and I think my defense of it is more geared to that complaint. But I agree about the various artists/soundtrack point.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #319
Refugee

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Ok, Natalie Cole is officially on my shit list. Sounds like a jealous bitch who needs to shut the fuck up.

She made this statement today:

“I'm going on record as an artist who is able to critique [Amy Winehouse]. I think she has a great talent, but I don't agree with the Grammys giving her those nods. I think it sends the wrong message, that even in the midst of her stupor of drugs she can get nominated for all these awards. It's a slap in the face to musicians and artists who work very hard that they turn around and give it to someone who really obviously doesn't have a grasp of what she has. I've been in this business over 25 years and I sacrificed five years of my own life on drugs and almost lost my life because of it. So I take great offence to almost see someone getting glory out of being in the position that they're in – she needs to get her life together and embrace her craft, she will lose it if she doesn't get it together.”

- Natalie Cole
Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by ultravioletluvv
Ok, Natalie Cole is officially on my shit list. Sounds like a jealous bitch who needs to shut the fuck up.

“I'm going on record as an artist who is able to critique [Amy Winehouse]. I think she has a great talent, but I don't agree with the Grammys giving her those nods. I think it sends the wrong message, that even in the midst of her stupor of drugs she can get nominated for all these awards. It's a slap in the face to musicians and artists who work very hard that they turn around and give it to someone who really obviously doesn't have a grasp of what she has. I've been in this business over 25 years and I sacrificed five years of my own life on drugs and almost lost my life because of it. So I take great offence to almost see someone getting glory out of being in the position that they're in – she needs to get her life together and embrace her craft, she will lose it if she doesn't get it together.”

- Natalie Cole
This is so laughable.

I would never condone drug use, but the Grammys (theoretically anyway) are supposed to go to whoever released the best recordings of the year, not who led the most squeaky-clean personal life. Some of the greatest artists of all time would be immediately disqualified if the latter came into account.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Cole needs to shut the fuck up. She won Album of the Year for duetting with her dead father. None of those songs were original material, none were rearranged. She used her father's legacy to further her own career. One of the worst Best Albums of all time. Just because she was unable to make her own mark on music gives her no right to criticize someone who has more soul in one lip than Cole has in her enitre body.

Self-righteous bitch.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #322
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades

"The Rising" didn't even come out until July 2002, which was months after the Grammy Awards for 2001 (held in January or February of 2002) so it wasn't one of the nominees that O Brother beat. IIRC India.Arie and Songs in the Key of A Minor were the other two albums that O Brother beat.

It was Norah Jones that beat Bruce's The Rising the following year for Best Album. And yes, I'm still bitter.

Something about that wasn't sitting right w/ me when I wrote it. And while I enjoyed Bruce's album more, Norah Jones is an amazing talent and deserved the accolades she received that night.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #323
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Ray of Light lost to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which also came out in 1998, for Album of the Year. Miseducation also won the annual Pazz & Jop critics poll that year, so it wasn't just an award based on popularity.

They're both great albms, and I would have been cool with either winning.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #324
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Local Time: 01:32 AM
amy winehouse is the love of my life.
im not a lesbian but i would for her.
she is amazing, one thing is she is kinda a coke whore
turns me off a bit lol.
but still love her
Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #325
ONE
love, blood, life

Look, Goodbye Earl is a classic. I don't care what you guys say.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #326
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
And while I enjoyed Bruce's album more, Norah Jones is an amazing talent and deserved the accolades she received that night.

I didn't care for her third album, but her first two are, I think, really great. I'd love to see her stretch a bit - I know she moonlighted a bit in a rock band before her last album came out.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #327
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Ray of Light lost to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which also came out in 1998, for Album of the Year. Miseducation also won the annual Pazz & Jop critics poll that year, so it wasn't just an award based on popularity.

They're both great albms, and I would have been cool with either winning.
"Miseducation" is a great album too, but since I'm always biased towards Madonna I really wish "Ray of Light" would've won. I was very surprised that COADF wasn't nominated last year, but I guess the dance emphasis did it in.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #328
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ultravioletluvv

- Natalie Cole
Are you kidding me? What kind of message does THAT send to society, Natalie? "You've fucked up, so your gift doesn't count any more." You know, Fergie had an addiction to crystal meth, and thankfully, got clean. Ergo, her piece of shit album should've gotten the nods instead of Amy's brilliance. That's a despicable thing to say about someone who's trying to overcome what Amy is.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #329
Blue Crack Distributor

yea i don't think the fact that she has issues is why it shouldn't have won... i think the fact that it's a gimmick song that will hide her actual talent and forever label her as the drugged out rehab chick is why it souldn't have won.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #330
Refugee

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Didn't Natalie Cole used to be a crackhead herself? She's just jealous that Amy can be a crackhead and still put out a good album. Natalie is a bitter, old bitch!