2008 Grammy Thread - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #301
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:17 PM

Happy about all of Amy Winehouse's wins, I love her.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #302
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:17 PM
1. Amy Winehouse is still a hot mess, but I loved her reaction to winning song of the year. She seemed so happy and surprised. Poor thing needs some good news in her life. I liked her performance, too.

2. Ummm ... Herbie Hancock for album of the year? Really??? Way to be relevant, Grammys.

2a. I understand that the "album of the year" category can be a mishmash of rock, country, jazz, rap, whatever. But then wouldn't you think it's a clump of the best albums of the year in each of those categories? And then wouldn't you think if Vince Gill is nominated for album of the year, he would have won country album of the year? And yet he didn't. I don't get it.

2b. Herbie Hancock? Really???

3. How is Umbrella a rap song? Just because it has Jay-Z rapping in it for a little bit of the song should not make it a "rap" song. It's a pop song with some rapping. That's a big wtf, honestly.

4. Loved Kanye West (he made me rock out with the first song, and then cry with the song to his mom). Loved Tina Turner and Beyonce.

5. Didn't really love the Beatles tribute. I love the Love album, but the whole Cirque du Soleil thing is just not for me. I have no desire to sit and watch a circus of whimsy or whatever. It's just totally not my thing.

5a. Sometimes a gospel choir can move me to tears, other times it's a big fat pile of meh. The "Let It Be" gospel choir thing from Across the Universe falls into the latter category.

6. Oh, and the My Grammy Moment thing this year sucked. Last year's winner got to sing and dance with Justin Timberlake. This year's winner got to be one member of a 30-piece orchestra backing the Foo Fighters. Um ... yay?

7. Ooh, and I forgot - I LOVED The Time! I thought the segue into Rihanna was awesome. Nuts to all the haters - Rihanna's album is really fun.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #303
Blue Crack Distributor

After reading the whole thread, I think Lazarus has good points about Herbie Hancock. I don't begrudge him the win, it just seems so out of left fied. I loved that he looked so damn happy everytime you saw him - performing, sitting in the audience, winning. Good for him.

I'll be the defender of the O Brother, Where Art Thou best album win. I don't remember what it was up against, but that album was HUGE. It sparked a little revival of American roots music that I thought was wonderful. You might not like that sort of music, but it's hard to deny its impact and popularity.

And of course, it shouldn't be just about popularity, but I think for album of the year, like record and song of the year, should take into consideration any cultural impact. Ubiquity doesn't equal "good," obviously, but impact is big.

Because of that, I think Amy Winehouse's song of the year win was well-deserved (although I wouldn't have been surprised to see "Umbrella" win), but I thought she would have taken album of the year, too.

Edit: since no one has anything more to say and it's just me talking to myself, I'll ramble on more.

I forgot about the posthumous awards they gave to Ray Charles a few years ago, including album of the year. Was that really the best album of that year? When I finally got around to picking up a copy (the company I work for was heavily involved in the album's release, so there was much celebrating after its win, so I got one for free - whoot), I was kind of pleasantly surprised that it wasn't all that bad. If you like that sort of thing.

But was it really the best of the year? Or was it just nice to honor a Dead Grammy Legend?
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #304
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:17 PM
I thought the funniest thing of all was that lady who performed with Kid Rock-she looked so confused. Even more confused when she was looking at the Foo Fighters.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #305
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I really can't understand how people are still surprised when the Grammy's pick the least likely or least appreciated album in a category to win. They love doing that crap. They always have some sort of theme to support their illogical decisions too.

"This year the Grammy Awards are celebrating the music of _____" or "This year we want to look back at the history of ____"
:later an album in that genre or with some sort of connection wins a huge award despite no one even caring/knowing about it:

It's like a tradition for them. Don't forget the big LMAO last year with Dixie Chicks practically sweeping everything when most people probably felt their album didn't even deserve to be nominated. I beat out a lot of more well received, unique, and interesting albums. Oh well at least some of the performances were pretty good this year and Kanye pretty much takes over every show he appears on, thats my boy!

p.s. Dang Aretha Franklin looked like she swallowed an Aretha Franklin impersonator
Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #306
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by catlhere
It's like a tradition for them. Don't forget the big LMAO last year with Dixie Chicks practically sweeping everything when most people probably felt their album didn't even deserve to be nominated.
Who are these "most people"? The Dixie Chicks album was very well-received. Or are you just talking about how you don't like them?

I just read "Umbrella" won best rap/sung collaboration, not rap song, which makes a LOT more sense. I withrdaw my rant about it.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #307
The Male

The Dixie Chicks are talentless bums that not only didn't deserve to be nominated, but their album shouldn't have even hit the market, nor should they have been signed in the first place.

Now.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #308
Refugee

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I'm not too sure if that bright yellow was the right colour for Aretha.

And out of curiosity, I know how many wins U2 have had, but how many Grammy nominations has U2 had?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #309
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Slipstream
I'm not too sure if that bright yellow was the right colour for Aretha.
The ridiculousness of the colour/pattern dress you wear as a celebrity is directly proportional to your weight.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #310
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
The Dixie Chicks are talentless bums that not only didn't deserve to be nominated, but their album shouldn't have even hit the market, nor should they have been signed in the first place.
I'll assume you're kidding, because I'm sure you wouldn't want me to drive all the way to wherever you are and kick your ass.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #311
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

I'll assume you're kidding, because I'm sure you wouldn't want me to drive all the way to wherever you are and kick your ass.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #312
ONE
love, blood, life

TAKIN A TURN ON THE ..............................SINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNWAGON am i rite?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #313
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
The ridiculousness of the colour/pattern dress you wear as a celebrity is directly proportional to your weight.
True facts.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #314
Blue Crack Distributor

You'd best not mock the Dixie Chicks, Canadiens. I actually DO know where you live (more or less ... the province, anyway), and I will not hesitate to schedule a cross-country trip to come and kick your ass.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #315
Blue Crack Supplier

Cori: O Brother beat out Dylan's Love and Theft and U2's ATYCLB, and I think maybe Bruce's The Rising. The Dylan album was just as much a tribute to American roots music, but was original, and really deserved the win that year. In my opinion, "various artists" albums should NEVER be nominated for this award. It's a soundtrack! As I said before, at least Herbie Hancock reinterpreted Joni's material with his own unique arrangements.

The Ray Charles thing was bullshit, too. A bunch of duets with people that weren't even fresh versions. Occasionally sentimentality prevails here, as it did with Tony Bennett Unplugged (it must have been so hard for him to do those songs without his standard electric guitar support!). I love Tony, but that was not one of the Grammy's best moments.

The Dixie Chicks, while not my thing, have as much of a right to be there as anyone else. They're obviously talented in the vocal department, and the album was very well received critically if I'm not mistaken. There are worse artists who could be winning with country albums (Toby Keith, for example). You also have to give them credit for bouncing back with after their fanbase turned on them because of a bunch of jingoistic hatemongers. Burning records? Why not try them as witches and drown them on top of it?