2008 Grammy Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ultravioletluvv said:
Didn't Natalie Cole used to be a crackhead herself? She's just jealous that Amy can be a crackhead and still put out a good album. Natalie is a bitter, old bitch!

She did admit that in the statement, so at least she wasn't trying to "accidentally forget" that part, but it was completely uncalled for. She owes Amy an apology. That is not the kind of statement you make about someone in recovery.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - When Aretha Franklin is unhappy, she does not mince words. On Tuesday, the longtime Queen of Soul slammed Beyonce Knowles' intro to Tina Turner at Sunday's Grammy Awards, in which Knowles called Turner, not Franklin, "the queen."

"I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writers and Beyonce," Franklin said in a statement issued by her publicist. "However, I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy."

E-mails to Knowles' publicist Yvette Noel-Schure and calls and e-mails to Recording Academy spokeswomen Jaime Sarachit and Barb Deghan were not immediately returned.

In the first few seconds of Knowles' intro to Turner's performance, she name-dropped Franklin and a long list of famed female singers. Then the "Crazy in Love" chanteuse focused on Turner.

"There is one legend who has the essence of all of those things: the glamour, the soul, the passion, the strength, the talent," said Knowles, strutting in hot pants. "Ladies and gentlemen. Stand on your feet and give it up for the queen."

At a party later that night, Knowles called Turner her "ultimate icon."

Still, Franklin ended her brief criticism on a gracious note, thanking the Grammys and the voting academy and saying, "love to Beyonce anyway."

Known for such hits as "Respect" and "Chain of Fools," Franklin tied with the Clark Sisters for best gospel performance trophy for her duet "Never Gonna Break My Faith" with Mary J. Blige.

I love Aretha, but she can't copyright "Queen." Does she throw a hissy whenever Queen Elizabeth gets a mention in the news? Or hears "Bohemian Rhapsody" on the radio?

USA Today

Grammy producer Ken Ehrlich, noting that Beyoncé idolizes Franklin, says he was baffled.

"It was an innocent remark," Ehrlich said. "It certainly wasn't meant to disparage Aretha. Aretha has been and continues to be a very important part of the music industry and transcends labels. That's why the Recording Academy gave her the honor of MusiCares Person of the Year and invited her to perform on the Grammys."

Mathew Knowles, Beyoncé's father and manager, declined to get a comment from his daughter.

"I'm not even going to take this to her," he said. "Something this ridiculous, it's childish, it's unprofessional. And it's a sad day when egos get bruised because somebody used the word king, queen, prince or princess."

Aretha needs to get over it plain and simple. I don't care if she's been in the business a year or 50 years or how many songs she has sung, how many awards she has received...she's obviously let her over-sized ego get in the way and/or obviously has some jealousy or animosity toward Beyonce or Tina Turner. I say find another cause to throw her weight around about. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

I heard this yesterday and was surprised the article didn't really reference it. It mentioned Natalie overcoming her drug problems, but ...

Apparently the year Natalie Cole won her first Grammy(s)? 1975? Guess what else happened in 1975: Natalie Cole busted for heroin.

Gosh, Nats. Should you be turning in your Grammys from that year because you shouldn't have been rewarded while participating in dangerous behavior?

Hypocrite much?

Back
Top Bottom