2008 Grammy Thread - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #286
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Steely Dan put out a great album that received great reviews. While not their best album, it was as deserving a nominee and winner as much as anything else there. Did you really expect something as marginal as Kid A, or as divisive as Eminem to win? Becker and Fagen are respected as two of the best songwriters in the business, and have seasoned professionals playing on their albums, engineered to perfection. Their win was not a crime, even if it seemed like a lifetime achievement after their 20 year absence.

As for Hancock, jazz, unlike rock or pop, is hard to get nommed in any crossover categories, and it wouldn't be likely to be up for Song of the Year or Record of the Year. So to say he wasn't nommed for anything else isn't really notable--he also won for Best Contemporary Jazz album, obviously

Just because The Departed wasn't one of Marty's best doesn't mean he didn't deserve the award. It's the same thing as Steely Dan. He still directed his film better than anyone else who was nominated, regardless of the weight of the subject matter. Sure, I would have liked to have seen him win one of the last two times before that, but whatever. Is it a partial make up award? Obviously the voters thought the film was good enough to give it Best Picture and Best Screenplay as well.

Herbie Hancock didn't just cover a bunch of Joni Mitchell songs. He used her lyrics and music as a jumping-off point, and some of those songs have wildly different arrangements. It's more of a collaboration than anything else, and a far more deserving Ablum of the Year winner than Natalie Cole, who won (over Achtung Baby) with an album duetting on previously recorded songs with her dead father. That's a bullshit win, as were Eric Clapton and Tony Bennett's Unplugged albums winning.
I guess the only problem for a lot of people, in this instance, is that they feel that better material was nominated, as I do with Amy Winehouse.

And did you have to bring up that "Achtung Baby" incident? That's so hard to think about.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #287
The Male

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Quote:

Steely Dan put out a great album that received great reviews. While not their best album, it was as deserving a nominee and winner as much as anything else there. Did you really expect something as marginal as Kid A, or as divisive as Eminem to win? Becker and Fagen are respected as two of the best songwriters in the business, and have seasoned professionals playing on their albums, engineered to perfection. Their win was not a crime, even if it seemed like a lifetime achievement after their 20 year absence.
The noms were certainly debatable, but of those, I would agree that SD deserved the Grammy. However, I believe that there were several albums that were better in 1999 and 2000, so the nominee choices were poor. That, of course, shouldn't take away the weight of their achievement.

And, for the record, I fully expect In Rainbows to have a shot at album of the year, not alternative, when it becomes eligible.

Now.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #288
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
http://www.grammy.com/Grammy_Awards/50th_show/list.aspx

That's the link to the complete list of winners!
Cheers!

Icky Thump! ohh and Bruuuuuuuce
Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:02 PM
I just was looking at the winner's list and Obama beat Clinton once again.

(Best Spoken Word Album, and it was Bill he beat, as well as Jimmy Carter... )
Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #290
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I guess the only problem for a lot of people, in this instance, is that they feel that better material was nominated, as I do with Amy Winehouse.

And did you have to bring up that "Achtung Baby" incident? That's so hard to think about.

Have you even heard The Joni Letters? Are you familiar with Hancock's work, or Joni's?

And the early 90's grammys were BRUTAL. First R.E.M.'s Out of Time lost to The Bodyguard soundtrack, then U2 lost to Natalie Cole, and then R.E.M. lost AGAIN for Automatic For the People to Eric Clapton. It was awful. The Grammys redeemed themselves by giving Best Alternative album to U2 for Zooropa, which some saw as bullshit, but it was a hell of a lot more "alternative" than Siamese Dream.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #291
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

The noms were certainly debatable, but of those, I would agree that SD deserved the Grammy. However, I believe that there were several albums that were better in 1999 and 2000, so the nominee choices were poor. That, of course, shouldn't take away the weight of their achievement.

And, for the record, I fully expect In Rainbows to have a shot at album of the year, not alternative, when it becomes eligible.

Well I won't argue with that about the nominations. The best albums of the year rarely get nominated for the big ones (Dylan and OutKast being recent exceptions), or are buried in the Alternative album category, where they don't win there either. You have to give them credit for at least nominating Kid A for Album of the Year. That was impressive.

And yes, I hope In Rainbows contends next year, though their anti-record label stance will probably lose a lot of the voting body's support.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #292
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Quote:

Have you even heard The Joni Letters? Are you familiar with Hancock's work, or Joni's?

And the early 90's grammys were BRUTAL. First R.E.M.'s Out of Time lost to The Bodyguard soundtrack, then U2 lost to Natalie Cole, and then R.E.M. lost AGAIN for Automatic For the People to Eric Clapton. It was awful. The Grammys redeemed themselves by giving Best Alternative album to U2 for Zooropa, which some saw as bullshit, but it was a hell of a lot more "alternative" than Siamese Dream.
Joni, yes. I'm not a fan per se, but I've heard some of her work, and she's a brilliant artist. As for Herbie Hancock, I know nothing other the fact that he's a talented guy. I just think as LemonMelon, said, it was more of pity award since they'd ignored him before, rather than really giving it to an artist who deserved it.

Oh my word, The Bodyguard soundtrack? Are you kidding me?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #293
Blue Crack Supplier

But neither of you have actually heard the album, so you really have no position from which to be judging its merit or worthiness of the award. Right?

Many respected artists are overlooked and never win. If they voted for it, they probably liked it a lot. Having Joni as part of this didn't hurt either, the voting body of NARAS loves her.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #294
The Male

Quote:
But neither of you have actually heard the album, so you really have no position from which to be judging its merit or worthiness of the award. Right?
Yes, sir. I just said what I said because the same thing has happened to so many other artists in a similar situation.

Now.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #295
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Yay for Amy Winehouse, White Stripes, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss... and Keith Urban, on a patriotic note,
Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #296
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:02 AM
It was a good show tonight, for the most part.

Absolutely LOVED seeing Amy perform, and her reaction at winning record of the year was incredible. She totally deserved it!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:02 AM   #297
Blue Crack Distributor

The performances were entertaining (for the most part). And anti-climatic at the end there. Then again, I haven't heard the 5 nominated albums (just select songs). Seems like album of the year was basically one from each category in a sense: Gill=country, Kanye West, Amy Winehouse, Foo Fighters and Hancock. Don't like how that worked out. I think Bruce should have been included there, but that's just me. And probably one of the few albums I heard last year (and own)
Old 02-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
And U2 definitely deserved Album of the Year over him and any other nominee 2 years ago.

I was watching those Grammys and I thought Kanye would win Album of the year over U2. I guess it was the apologetic "sorry about Achtung Baby (ATYCLB)/you're a legend now so here you go" Grammy. On the other hand, few artists get THE Grammy for their universally accepted best work so after JT, even if they never won anything else I wouldn't mind. This was great too
Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 AM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

first time i ever saw or heard amy winehouse and she's drinking me crazy
Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #300
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
And probably one of the few albums I heard last year (and own)
Same here. I don't think any of Bruce's wins were televised or that he was even there, never saw him.

I channel surfed and watched it on and off, I was touched by Kanye's song for his Mom and I enjoyed Amy Winehouse. I stopped watching at 11 and went to bed.

It was worth watching for me just for Jungle Love, that was a random combo with Rihanna. Sometimes I think the Grammy people just throw random names in a hat and put them together.